    never know who you are buying from?

    <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 20, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    >OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    >never know who you are buying from?
    >
    ><http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

    That's old news. It was in all the Wednesday newspapers. As that is my day
    off, I don't read the paper that day. But I just happened to be checking my
    web statistics on Thursday night and noticed an inordinate number of hits
    on my picture of their warehouse. So I investigated who was pointing at it
    and found a bunch of forum posts. So I added my B&H ad to all my B&H
    pictures. I figure I missed about 2000 views before I got it added. Sorry
    Rita, but I do put in a lot of work maintaining those pages, and getting
    something for it would be nice.

    Don Wiss, Oct 20, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > never know who you are buying from?
    >
    > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    >
    > Rita

    It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    RichA, Oct 20, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    imanozzi Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > never know who you are buying from?
    >
    > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    >
    > Rita

    It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

    Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!
    imanozzi, Oct 20, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <> wrote:
    : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    : > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    : > never know who you are buying from?
    : >
    : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    : >
    : > Rita
    :
    : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

    You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
    have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
    their English were as good as yours.

    You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
    right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
    chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 20, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ggomezphoto Guest

    On Oct 19, 9:01 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > > never know who you are buying from?

    > > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

    > > Rita

    > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

    That link did not mention anything about learning English (and this is
    English: "it'll be to pay for....). And why the word staff in
    quotes? Are you implying that if you are Hispanic, you aren't really
    staff (apparently that was B & H's position).

    As someone else has mentioned in this thread, there are many Hispanics
    working in this country who were born here, or whose families have
    been here for generations.

    Gerry
    ggomezphoto, Oct 20, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ggomezphoto Guest

    On Oct 20, 2:36 am, "imanozzi" <>
    wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > > never know who you are buying from?

    > > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

    > > Rita

    > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    >
    > Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

    You might want to check the demographics of the Hispanic population in
    New York. Not everyone who is Hispanic is from Mexico, or sends money
    to Mexico. You do know that many Hispanics were born in this country,
    generations of Hispanics.

    Gerry
    ggomezphoto, Oct 20, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Jer Guest

    imanozzi wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >> OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    >> never know who you are buying from?
    >>
    >> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    >>
    >> Rita

    > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    >
    > Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

    $4.3M is chump change compared to the billions exported to Mexico by
    undocumented workers. But this is the wrong thread for that discussion.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Oct 20, 2007
  9. On 2007-10-20 06:56:56 -0700, ggomezphoto <> said:

    > On Oct 19, 9:01 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    >>> never know who you are buying from?

    >>> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

    >>> Rita

    >> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

    > That link did not mention anything about learning English (and this is
    > English: "it'll be to pay for....). And why the word staff in
    > quotes? Are you implying that if you are Hispanic, you aren't really
    > staff (apparently that was B & H's position).
    >
    > As someone else has mentioned in this thread, there are many Hispanics
    > working in this country who were born here, or whose families have
    > been here for generations.
    >
    > Gerry

    The fact is, many more American kids--regardless of their parents'
    ethnicity--need to apply themselves to a mastery of English. The
    funding for this pursuit is already in place. While they're at it, they
    may discover an aptitude for learning Spanish, French, Italian...even
    Arabic, who knows?
    --
    Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
    yourselves instead to the safety of the republic
    sheepdog 2007, Oct 20, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Cynicor Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <> wrote:
    > : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > : > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > : > never know who you are buying from?
    > : >
    > : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    > : >
    > : > Rita
    > :
    > : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    >
    > You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
    > have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
    > their English were as good as yours.

    On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
    who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration.
    Cynicor, Oct 20, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <> wrote:
    > : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > : > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > : > never know who you are buying from?
    > : >
    > : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    > : >
    > : > Rita
    > :
    > : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    >
    > You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
    > have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
    > their English were as good as yours.
    >
    > You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
    > right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
    > chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?
    >
    > Bob

    Not just Hispanics. I had a friend at work in Texas, a Chinese
    programmer who looked like he had just gotten off the boat. However, no
    one talking to him on the phone would have realized he was Oriental. He
    was at least third-generation US--maybe more--and he sounded just like
    he should have--native Manhattanite. And so what if he or anyone else
    was new to the country, does that make them less than the rest of us?
    Allen
    Allen, Oct 20, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ggomezphoto Guest

    On Oct 20, 8:21 am, Allen <> wrote:
    > Robert Coe wrote:
    > > On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <> wrote:
    > > : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > > : > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > > : > never know who you are buying from?
    > > : >
    > > : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    > > : >
    > > : > Rita
    > > :
    > > : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

    > > You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
    > > have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
    > > their English were as good as yours.

    > > You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
    > > right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
    > > chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?

    > > Bob

    > Not just Hispanics. I had a friend at work in Texas, a Chinese
    > programmer who looked like he had just gotten off the boat. However, no
    > one talking to him on the phone would have realized he was Oriental. He
    > was at least third-generation US--maybe more--and he sounded just like
    > he should have--native Manhattanite. And so what if he or anyone else
    > was new to the country, does that make them less than the rest of us?
    > Allen

    I am Hispanic, Mexican background. Don't worry all you immigration
    freaks, I have not been able to trace any of my family back to the
    current borders of Mexico, so my family history in the current US goes
    way, way back. I only mention this because my older brother converted
    to Judaism when he married a Jewish woman. So, I wonder how B and H
    would have handled his pay if he worked there?

    There is also an interesting book, The History of Jews in America,
    that devotes a chapter to "Mexican Jews" in America, in southern
    Colorado and Northern New Mexico long before either were part of the
    US. But I digress...............

    Gerry
    ggomezphoto, Oct 20, 2007
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    hickster11 Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message prices? It
    seems you
    ..

    > On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
    > who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

    OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
    Hickey
    hickster11, Oct 20, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Charlie Self Guest

    On Oct 20, 4:56 pm, "hickster11" <> wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message prices? It
    >
    > seems you
    > .
    >
    > > On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
    > > who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

    > OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
    > Hickey

    He sure does. I've got a 17 year old granddaughter who is nearly as
    under-informed as he is.
    Charlie Self, Oct 20, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    irwell Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:21:56 -0500, Allen <> wrote:

    >Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <> wrote:
    >> : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >> : > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    >> : > never know who you are buying from?
    >> : >
    >> : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
    >> : >
    >> : > Rita
    >> :
    >> : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    >>
    >> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
    >> have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
    >> their English were as good as yours.
    >>
    >> You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
    >> right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
    >> chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Not just Hispanics. I had a friend at work in Texas, a Chinese
    >programmer who looked like he had just gotten off the boat. However, no
    >one talking to him on the phone would have realized he was Oriental. He
    >was at least third-generation US--maybe more--and he sounded just like
    >he should have--native Manhattanite. And so what if he or anyone else
    >was new to the country, does that make them less than the rest of us?
    >Allen

    And how about this heavy handed treatment from another vendor.
    Best Buy accused of unpaid work time

    Electronics retailer Best Buy Co. Inc. failed to pay employees for
    thousands of hours they spent undergoing security searches and working
    through breaks, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday. The suit was
    filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, where workers who sued
    Wal-Mart Stores Inc. over unpaid breaks and overtime won $140 million
    in damages after a 2006 jury trial. The plaintiff's lawyers are
    seeking class-action status that would cover anyone who worked at 25
    Best Buy stores in Pennsylvania since October 2003. The company did
    not immediately return a message left at its Richfield headquarters.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    irwell, Oct 20, 2007
  16. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    EDS Guest

    "sheepdog 2007" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-10-20 06:56:56 -0700, ggomezphoto <> said:

    >>> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

    >> That link did not mention anything about learning English (and this is
    >> English: "it'll be to pay for....). And why the word staff in
    >> quotes? Are you implying that if you are Hispanic, you aren't really
    >> staff (apparently that was B & H's position).
    >>
    >> As someone else has mentioned in this thread, there are many Hispanics
    >> working in this country who were born here, or whose families have
    >> been here for generations.
    >>
    >> Gerry

    > The fact is, many more American kids--regardless of their parents'
    > ethnicity--need to apply themselves to a mastery of English. The funding
    > for this pursuit is already in place. While they're at it, they may
    > discover an aptitude for learning Spanish, French, Italian...even Arabic,
    > who knows?
    > --
    > Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address yourselves
    > instead to the safety of the republic

    My daughter's boyfriend has a Hispanic name, but grew up in the suburbs,
    has a degree and does not speak Spanish. He applied to take an evening
    course about 10 years ago at Harvard. Without asking,they told him he had to
    take English as a second language first. Organizations can usually not see
    past their noses. We laugh about it now.
    EDS, Oct 21, 2007
  17. "ggomezphoto" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 20, 2:36 am, "imanozzi" <>
    wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > OH SHIT!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
    > > never know who you are buying from?

    > > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

    > > Rita

    > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
    >
    > Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

    You might want to check the demographics of the Hispanic population in
    New York. Not everyone who is Hispanic is from Mexico, or sends money
    to Mexico. You do know that many Hispanics were born in this country,
    generations of Hispanics.

    Gerry

    In New York, most latinos are from Puerto Rico, and I think they are all
    legal.......
    William Graham, Oct 21, 2007
  18. "Allen" <> wrote in message
    >> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic
    >> population
    >> have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me
    >> if
    >> their English were as good as yours.

    You mean, "As bad as yours..." If you had the misfortune to learn your
    English in New York City (as I did) your bad pronunciation will haunt you
    for the rest of your life.......
    William Graham, Oct 21, 2007
  19. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Charlie Self <> wrote:
    >On Oct 20, 4:56 pm, "hickster11" <> wrote:
    >> "Cynicor" <> wrote in message prices? It
    >>
    >> seems you
    >> .
    >>
    >> > On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
    >> > who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

    >> OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
    >> Hickey

    >He sure does. I've got a 17 year old granddaughter who is nearly as
    >under-informed as he is.

    Yeah, but she probably has a life.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Oct 21, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:07:05 -0700, "William Graham" <> wrote:
    :
    : "Allen" <> wrote in message
    : news:471a1d14$0$25636$...
    Actually, no. What follows was posted by me:
    : >> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic
    : >> population have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't
    : >> surprise me if their English were as good as yours.
    :
    : You mean, "As bad as yours..." If you had the misfortune to learn your
    : English in New York City (as I did) your bad pronunciation will haunt you
    : for the rest of your life.......

    Well, if the shoe fits, wear it. But I knew many New Yorkers in college and a
    few since, and I've never had trouble understanding them - even though I grew
    up in Mississippi!

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2007