B&H pricing scam outed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 4, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, May 4, 2010

  2. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, May 4, 2010

  3. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Alan Browne <> wrote in

    >>> "Address is not valid" is what I get when trying that.

    >> Works for me, but in any case, as usual, there is no scam, just Rich
    >> dangling bait based on an idiot posting at dpreview.
    >>

    > Rally round the B&H flag, suckers.

    If you spend 10,000 times the time, effort and money on photography that I
    suspect you spend
    B&H will be better off without your business.
    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 5, 2010
  4. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Alan Browne <> wrote in

    >>> "Address is not valid" is what I get when trying that.

    >> Works for me, but in any case, as usual, there is no scam, just Rich
    >> dangling bait based on an idiot posting at dpreview.

    >Rally round the B&H flag, suckers.

    Keep whining that businesses won't let you pick prices, communist.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, May 5, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bob Guest

    >So, suck yourself.

    Believe me, if I could, I certainly would!

    Bob, May 5, 2010
  6. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message

    >>So, suck yourself.

    > Believe me, if I could, I certainly would!

    Don't you envy dogs? :)

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 5, 2010
  7. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Ken Walls" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 May 2010 17:52:19 -0400, "Peter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Bob" <> wrote in message

    >>> Believe me, if I could, I certainly would!

    >>Don't you envy dogs? :)

    > Now why on earth would two (supposed) men profess in public, worldwide no
    > less, of having a great desire to have a dick in their mouths? Is there
    > something you're not telling those in your real life that you want to get
    > off your chest? No need to reply. Your writing is already on the wall.

    What are you afraid of? Obviously you are misreading my precise language.
    Yes I admit to masturbation. Do you think that is something to be ashamed
    of?
    Or, are you afraid of your own desires.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 6, 2010
  8. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    >>> "Address is not valid" is what I get when trying that.

    >> Works for me, but in any case, as usual, there is no scam, just Rich
    >> dangling bait based on an idiot posting at dpreview.

    > OK, now it works for me too.
    >
    > Sort of interesting, but I don't buy from B&H anyway. I did, regularly,
    > many years ago, but there are significantly better choices now.

    Who do you buy from. In New England I found Hunt's to be quite reliable.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 6, 2010
  9. RichA

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK, now it works for me too.
    >>>
    >>> Sort of interesting, but I don't buy from B&H anyway. I did, regularly,
    >>> many years ago, but there are significantly better choices now.

    >> Who do you buy from. In New England I found Hunt's to be quite reliable.

    > I was buying mostly from Beach Camera and their sister company,
    > Buydig.com. Their prices were generally the best and their shipping was
    > terrifically fast and completely reliable. (They're in NJ, only about 150
    > miles from me, which helps.) Now I buy mostly from Amazon; their prices
    > are usually the best, and their shipping is good, two days if you have a
    > Prime membership with them. Occasionally I buy small items from Adorama,
    > and also from Chinese sellers on eBay -- for the latter you have to be
    > patient, as shipping from Hong Kong (even though it's by air) is typically
    > slow and somewhat unpredictable.

    Beach too has an excellent reputation. As to the Chinese sellers on EBay, I
    just lack confidence. YMMV

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 7, 2010
  10. RichA

    ken d Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2010 10:08:58 -0400, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >"Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    >>> Who do you buy from. In New England I found Hunt's to be quite reliable.

    >> I was buying mostly from Beach Camera and their sister company,
    >> Buydig.com. Their prices were generally the best and their shipping was
    >> terrifically fast and completely reliable. (They're in NJ, only about 150
    >> miles from me, which helps.) Now I buy mostly from Amazon; their prices
    >> are usually the best, and their shipping is good, two days if you have a
    >> Prime membership with them. Occasionally I buy small items from Adorama,
    >> and also from Chinese sellers on eBay -- for the latter you have to be
    >> patient, as shipping from Hong Kong (even though it's by air) is typically
    >> slow and somewhat unpredictable.
    >>

    >Beach too has an excellent reputation. As to the Chinese sellers on EBay, I
    >just lack confidence. YMMV

    In the last 6 months I have ordered a smattering of a dozen or so small
    items from Chinese suppliers on ebay, just to see how safe and dependable
    they are. A 405nm blue laser which I pot-modded to ~100mw, lights a match
    in less than one second, $1 with $7 shipping. (A fantastic item, no
    geologist should be without one. I found a fist-sized clump of crystals
    that I had to be highly red-phosphorescent under such intense near-UV
    light. No fluorescence at all under short or long-wave UV light). Digital
    calipers with data read-out port, $3 + $3 shipping (accuracy holds to
    0.01mm, 0.0005 inches). Pocket butane torch hot enough to melt copper, $4
    free shipping. Rifle-scope mounts, $3 free shipping. 3lbs. of quartz
    crystals $20 (had to be sent by boat, took 2 months though). A Digipac-like
    waterproof camera enclosure, $6 free shipping. And other various items. All
    arrived in perfect shape, all of high quality. I recall when I bought two
    green lasers for $8 each, one of them wasn't working quite right, so I
    wrote back to them. They sent a replacement free of charge without my even
    having to send back the semi-defective one. Some items ordered from China
    arrived even faster than those ordered from my own continent. But still
    consider 2-4 weeks as typical. Worth the wait. All sales considered I've
    had better luck ordering items from China than from the USA or Europe. They
    seem to highly value their feedback ratings, unlike sellers from other
    continents whose primary goal is to make a fast buck rather than have any
    honor.

    ken d, May 7, 2010
  11. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "ken d" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 7 May 2010 10:08:58 -0400, "Peter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> I was buying mostly from Beach Camera and their sister company,
    >>> Buydig.com. Their prices were generally the best and their shipping was
    >>> terrifically fast and completely reliable. (They're in NJ, only about
    >>> 150
    >>> miles from me, which helps.) Now I buy mostly from Amazon; their prices
    >>> are usually the best, and their shipping is good, two days if you have a
    >>> Prime membership with them. Occasionally I buy small items from Adorama,
    >>> and also from Chinese sellers on eBay -- for the latter you have to be
    >>> patient, as shipping from Hong Kong (even though it's by air) is
    >>> typically
    >>> slow and somewhat unpredictable.
    >>>

    >>Beach too has an excellent reputation. As to the Chinese sellers on EBay,
    >>just lack confidence. YMMV

    > In the last 6 months I have ordered a smattering of a dozen or so small
    > items from Chinese suppliers on ebay, just to see how safe and dependable
    > they are. A 405nm blue laser which I pot-modded to ~100mw, lights a match
    > in less than one second, $1 with $7 shipping. (A fantastic item, no
    > geologist should be without one. I found a fist-sized clump of crystals
    > that I had to be highly red-phosphorescent under such intense near-UV
    > light. No fluorescence at all under short or long-wave UV light). Digital
    > calipers with data read-out port, $3 + $3 shipping (accuracy holds to
    > 0.01mm, 0.0005 inches). Pocket butane torch hot enough to melt copper, $4
    > free shipping. Rifle-scope mounts, $3 free shipping. 3lbs. of quartz
    > crystals $20 (had to be sent by boat, took 2 months though). A
    > Digipac-like
    > waterproof camera enclosure, $6 free shipping. And other various items.
    > All
    > arrived in perfect shape, all of high quality. I recall when I bought two
    > green lasers for $8 each, one of them wasn't working quite right, so I
    > wrote back to them. They sent a replacement free of charge without my even
    > having to send back the semi-defective one. Some items ordered from China
    > arrived even faster than those ordered from my own continent. But still
    > consider 2-4 weeks as typical. Worth the wait. All sales considered I've
    > had better luck ordering items from China than from the USA or Europe.
    > They
    > seem to highly value their feedback ratings, unlike sellers from other
    > continents whose primary goal is to make a fast buck rather than have any
    > honor.

    Good to hear. I still would think twice about a $3,000 + item.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 8, 2010
  12. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "ken d" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 08 May 2010 02:24:04 -0500, Jeff Jones
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 7 May 2010 20:59:54 -0400, "Peter" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>"ken d" <> wrote in message

    >>>Good to hear. I still would think twice about a $3,000 + item.

    >>Order something of that price and report back. Something tells me you'll
    >>find a Chinese supplier of that $3,000 item for only $400. The internet
    >>has
    >>allowed us all to cut out the greedy middle-man who orders his supplies
    >>from the very same place.

    > True. One of the small items I ordered was being sold for $6.95 from a USA
    > supplier + $5.95 shipping with a "best offer" option. A novelty
    > special-effects projector called the "Astrostar". The Hong Kong supplier
    > was selling the identical item for $8.00 with free shipping. When I sent
    > my
    > "best offer" of $2.95 to the USA supplier (incl. shipping costs to make up
    > the difference) it was refused. I sent them a note back that they're going
    > to have to be far more competitive than that, and am now going to send my
    > money to Hong Kong. I received that item in full for $8.00 from the Hong
    > Kong dealer. The USA dealer lost out on making any sale at all, even
    > though
    > he probably bought that item from the very same supplier. Nor will I ever
    > recommend them to anyone else. Money talks.
    >
    > The greedy fools shall snooze and lose, thanks to the internet.

    Why is it that your posting does not give me reassurance?
    the difference between $8 and $3,000 may have something to do with it.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 8, 2010