    SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
    SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    $23.99
    me, Feb 5, 2013

  2. me

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:30:16 -0500, me <> wrote:

    >http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/335103
    >
    >B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards. Free
    >Shipping. Tax in NY.
    >
    > SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >$46.99
    > SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $20.95
    >
    > SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $41.95
    > SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $30.49
    >
    > SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
    > SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >$23.99

    Very good.

    May they sell lots of 64 GB cards, and may lots of folks shoot them
    full every day.

    A couple months ago I considered buying a 32 GB card before a 2 week
    trip to Florida. No point in being limited by your gear. But then I
    considered how big 32 GB is and decided to leave it.

    Instead I relied on my 16GB Transcend and a couple of 8GB cards. Only
    once during the trip did I fill up the 16 GB. OK, nearly filled it, to
    within a dozen pics or so. Never had to use the 8GB cards.

    YMMV of course, but before you buy, consider how big these cards are,
    whether you will ever fully use them, and where you are going to store
    all the pics if you often fill these cards.

    Wally, Feb 6, 2013

  3. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/5/2013 7:01 PM, Wally wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:30:16 -0500, me <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/335103
    >>
    >> B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards. Free
    >> Shipping. Tax in NY.
    >>
    >> SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >> $46.99
    >> SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $20.95
    >>
    >> SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $41.95
    >> SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $30.49
    >>
    >> SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
    >> SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >> $23.99

    > Very good.
    >
    > May they sell lots of 64 GB cards, and may lots of folks shoot them
    > full every day.
    >
    > A couple months ago I considered buying a 32 GB card before a 2 week
    > trip to Florida. No point in being limited by your gear. But then I
    > considered how big 32 GB is and decided to leave it.
    >
    > Instead I relied on my 16GB Transcend and a couple of 8GB cards. Only
    > once during the trip did I fill up the 16 GB. OK, nearly filled it, to
    > within a dozen pics or so. Never had to use the 8GB cards.
    >
    > YMMV of course, but before you buy, consider how big these cards are,
    > whether you will ever fully use them, and where you are going to store
    > all the pics if you often fill these cards.

    Correct. My D800 has 36 megapixels, and I usually shoot RAW. (you do the
    math.) I have been known to fill a 32 G card in one day. So I would
    consider a 64. If I am out doing landscapes, flowers, or a trip to the
    zoo, then 16 is sufficient. Every so often Murphy rears his ugly head.
    The only time I was caught short was when I was mistakenly invited to
    shoot the trotters, from the track side. That will never happen to me
    again. But as you said, YMMV.
    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 6, 2013
  4. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/5/2013 4:30 PM, me wrote:
    > http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/335103
    >
    > B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards. Free
    > Shipping. Tax in NY.
    >
    > SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    > $46.99
    > SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $20.95
    >
    > SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $41.95
    > SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $30.49
    >
    > SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
    > SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    > $23.99

    I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    really inexpensive alternative.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 6, 2013
  5. me

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <5111b535$0$10841$-secrets.com>,
    PeterN <> wrote:

    >I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    >the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    >in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    >really inexpensive alternative.

    The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
    other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
    write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
    OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
    Paul Ciszek, Feb 6, 2013
  6. me

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:30:09 PM UTC, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
    > other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
    > write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
    > OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

    Depends on what you are shooting, RAW, JPG, video.
    If you shoot burst multiply the fps with the average size of files written (RAW/JPG), if you shoot video divide the size of video file by the number of seconds it has.

    That number is the highest speed in Mb/s your camera needs to use. My guess is Class 10 SD cards are more than enough.

    You would notice if you need a faster card for your camera, you questions indicates you do not need it.

    To use high transfer speeds to a PC you will need to have an USB 3 port on it.

    DanP
    DanP, Feb 7, 2013
  7. me

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:01:39 AM UTC, Wally wrote:

    > Instead I relied on my 16GB Transcend and a couple of 8GB cards. Only
    > once during the trip did I fill up the 16 GB. OK, nearly filled it, to
    > within a dozen pics or so. Never had to use the 8GB cards.

    I use a 16 Gb and 2 Gb and I keep a 1Gb and 512Mb in the camera bag just in case.

    It happened to me to go out and forget the card in the PC. I met a pro once who bought a card off someone at a concert he was paid to cover. He forgot his in the house 50 miles away.

    And if I lose a card I would not mind that much. Split the size, don't go for the biggest.

    DanP
    DanP, Feb 7, 2013
  8. me

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 16:12:42 -0800 (PST), DanP <>
    wrote:

    >On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:01:39 AM UTC, Wally wrote:
    >
    >> Instead I relied on my 16GB Transcend and a couple of 8GB cards. Only
    >> once during the trip did I fill up the 16 GB. OK, nearly filled it, to
    >> within a dozen pics or so. Never had to use the 8GB cards.

    >I use a 16 Gb and 2 Gb and I keep a 1Gb and 512Mb in the camera bag just in case.
    >
    >It happened to me to go out and forget the card in the PC. I met a pro once who bought a card off someone at a concert he was paid to cover. He forgot his in the house 50 miles away.
    >
    >And if I lose a card I would not mind that much. Split the size, don't go for the biggest.
    >

    >DanP

    My camera strap has a zippered compartment built-in. I keep several
    extra SD cards in there in case I forget to bring the one last used
    and left in the card reader.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    Tony Cooper, Feb 7, 2013
  9. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/6/2013 5:30 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <5111b535$0$10841$-secrets.com>,
    > PeterN <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    >> the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    >> in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    >> really inexpensive alternative.

    > The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
    > other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
    > write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
    > OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

    Check with your camera's manual. Though, chances are if you are asking
    that question don't spend your money on the faster cards, but get a
    couple of extra cards.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 7, 2013
  10. me

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/5/2013 7:43 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 2/5/2013 4:30 PM, me wrote:
    >> http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/335103
    >>
    >> B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards. Free
    >> Shipping. Tax in NY.
    >>
    >> SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >> $46.99
    >> SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $20.95
    >>
    >> SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $41.95
    >> SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $30.49
    >>
    >> SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
    >> SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >> $23.99
    >>

    > I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    > the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    > in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    > really inexpensive alternative.

    Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?

    John
    John Turco, Feb 8, 2013
  11. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/7/2013 8:01 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > On 2/5/2013 7:43 PM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 2/5/2013 4:30 PM, me wrote:
    >>> http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/335103
    >>>
    >>> B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards. Free
    >>> Shipping. Tax in NY.
    >>>
    >>> SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >>> $46.99
    >>> SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $20.95
    >>>
    >>> SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $41.95
    >>> SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $30.49
    >>>
    >>> SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
    >>> SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
    >>> $23.99
    >>>

    >> I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    >> the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    >> in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    >> really inexpensive alternative.

    > Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?
    >
    > John

    Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

    For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
    fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
    through a USB3 port.

    BTW
    How is your sister doing?

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 8, 2013
  12. me

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    >"Paul Ciszek" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In article <5111b535$0$10841$-secrets.com>,
    >> PeterN <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    >>>the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    >>>in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    >>>really inexpensive alternative.

    >> The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
    >> other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
    >> write speed.

    >They were all class 10, which specifies this - Google up!

    "Class 10" specifies a minimum write speed of 10MB/s. The actual write
    speed of class 10 SD cards on the market varies all over the place, and
    many online retailers do not give a number--that could mean that the
    card only does the minumum write speed, and the retailer did not wish to
    draw attention to it, but more likely it means that the retialer doesn't
    know much about the products they sell and can't be bothered to find out.
    Brick and mortar stores are no better in this regard. That is why I
    thought I would try asking here.

    Paul Ciszek, Feb 8, 2013
  13. me

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <511334e9$0$10777$-secrets.com>,
    PeterN <> wrote:
    >On 2/6/2013 5:30 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>
    >> The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
    >> other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
    >> write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
    >> OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

    >Check with your camera's manual. Though, chances are if you are asking
    >that question don't spend your money on the faster cards, but get a
    >couple of extra cards.

    The PDF manual I downloaded from Olympus doesn't contain details like
    that. If there is a longer version of the manual, I'd love to hear
    about it. The camera is a fairly new design, and shoots HD video with
    a choice of different quality settings--I suspect that write speed is
    going to be relevant at some point.

    Paul Ciszek, Feb 8, 2013
  14. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/8/2013 6:58 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <511334e9$0$10777$-secrets.com>,
    > PeterN <> wrote:
    >> On 2/6/2013 5:30 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
    >>> other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
    >>> write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
    >>> OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

    >> Check with your camera's manual. Though, chances are if you are asking
    >> that question don't spend your money on the faster cards, but get a
    >> couple of extra cards.

    > The PDF manual I downloaded from Olympus doesn't contain details like
    > that. If there is a longer version of the manual, I'd love to hear
    > about it. The camera is a fairly new design, and shoots HD video with
    > a choice of different quality settings--I suspect that write speed is
    > going to be relevant at some point.

    Then check with B&H, but do so early today. (They close early on
    Fridays. The recommended card for your camera seems to be an SDHC card
    = class 10.

    As an aside, the reviews complain about a short battery life, so I would
    get an extra battery, or two.

    HTH
    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 8, 2013
  15. me

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 2/7/2013 8:01 PM, John Turco wrote:

    >>> I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
    >>> the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
    >>> in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
    >>> really inexpensive alternative.

    >> Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?
    >>
    >> John

    > Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

    I've been lurking, all the time.

    > For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
    > fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
    > through a USB3 port.

    I was thinking strictly in terms of SD.

    > BTW
    > How is your sister doing?

    She died.

    John
    John Turco, Feb 10, 2013
  16. me

    David Taylor Guest

    On 10/02/2013 04:05, John Turco wrote:
    > On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

    []
    >> How is your sister doing?

    > She died.
    >
    > John

    Very sorry to hear that, John.
    Please accept my condolences.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Feb 10, 2013
  17. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/9/2013 11:05 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

    > I've been lurking, all the time.
    >
    >> For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
    >> fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
    >> through a USB3 port.

    > I was thinking strictly in terms of SD.
    >
    >> BTW
    >> How is your sister doing?

    > She died.
    >
    > John

    I'm truly sorry to hear that. From her website, she certainly had a lot
    of talent.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 10, 2013
  18. me

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/9/2013 11:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-09 20:05:24 -0800, John Turco <> said:
    >
    >> On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >> BTW
    >>> How is your sister doing?

    >> She died.
    >>
    >> John

    > Sad news. Please accept my condolences.

    Thanks.

    John
    John Turco, Feb 12, 2013
  19. me

    John Turco Guest

    John Turco, Feb 12, 2013
  20. me

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/10/2013 9:47 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 2/9/2013 11:05 PM, John Turco wrote:

    >>> Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

    >> I've been lurking, all the time.
    >>
    >>> For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
    >>> fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
    >>> through a USB3 port.

    >> I was thinking strictly in terms of SD.
    >>
    >>> BTW
    >>> How is your sister doing?

    >> She died.
    >>
    >> John

    > I'm truly sorry to hear that. From her website, she certainly had a lot
    > of talent.

    Thanks.

    John
    John Turco, Feb 12, 2013