B&H photo: camera paid, but not received

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hredies@hotmail.com, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    I got some info.

    Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems? Did they ever
    receive the goods purchased? Or did they get their money back? I asked
    B&H to give my money back, but they said they need the equipment back
    first. But obviously, I can't send the equipment back, because I never
    received it.

    Is there any organization in the U.S.A. that can help me? Can I sue B&H
    for damages? I am not a US resident.
    , Mar 18, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Hwang Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    > recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    > internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    > (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    > (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    > 66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    > service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    > option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    > I got some info.
    >
    > Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems? Did they ever
    > receive the goods purchased? Or did they get their money back? I asked
    > B&H to give my money back, but they said they need the equipment back
    > first. But obviously, I can't send the equipment back, because I never
    > received it.
    >
    > Is there any organization in the U.S.A. that can help me? Can I sue B&H
    > for damages? I am not a US resident.
    >

    Hi,
    No tracking number? Who was your sales rep? Got the name? I am in Canada
    and B&H was always good on service. Never had any trouble. Mayve it got
    stuck some where at your end(customs, courier outfit or post office)
    Hope you get it soon.
    Tony
    Tony
    Tony Hwang, Mar 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    > recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    > internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    > (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    > (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    > 66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    > service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    > option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    > I got some info.
    >
    > Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems? Did they ever
    > receive the goods purchased? Or did they get their money back? I asked
    > B&H to give my money back, but they said they need the equipment back
    > first. But obviously, I can't send the equipment back, because I never
    > received it.
    >
    > Is there any organization in the U.S.A. that can help me? Can I sue B&H
    > for damages? I am not a US resident.


    There was a fire at B&H recently. You might call them and ask if your
    order has been delayed because of the fire.
    Paul Mitchum, Mar 18, 2005
    #3
  4. Mark B. Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    news:1gtlavo.11vov8735560dN%0m...
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > There was a fire at B&H recently. You might call them and ask if your
    > order has been delayed because of the fire.


    No, there was not a fire 'at' B&H. There was a fire at a local warehouse,
    in which B&H may or may not have been storing product - even that much was
    never very clear.

    Mark
    Mark B., Mar 18, 2005
    #4
  5. Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > news:1gtlavo.11vov8735560dN%0m...
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > There was a fire at B&H recently. You might call them and ask if your
    > > order has been delayed because of the fire.

    >
    > No, there was not a fire 'at' B&H. There was a fire at a local warehouse,
    > in which B&H may or may not have been storing product - even that much was
    > never very clear.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    >
    >


    If B&H said they shipped the unit, then they shipped the unit.

    Try to get a tracking number.

    B&H has a terrific reputation, and Im sure they didn't "spin the dial" and
    come up with your name and decide they would destroy their reputation,
    starting with you.

    If the unit is late to arrive, I can almost guarantee that it is a
    "shippers" problem, not a problem with B&H.


    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Mar 18, 2005
    #5
  6. <> wrote:
    > Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    > recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    > internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    > (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    > (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    > 66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    > service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    > option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    > I got some info.
    >
    > Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems? Did they ever
    > receive the goods purchased? Or did they get their money back? I asked
    > B&H to give my money back, but they said they need the equipment back
    > first. But obviously, I can't send the equipment back, because I never
    > received it.
    >
    > Is there any organization in the U.S.A. that can help me? Can I sue B&H
    > for damages? I am not a US resident.
    >


    They should have sent it insured and with tracking. Until it gets to
    you, you should NOT be responsible for it. Call them and ask for the
    tracking number. If you did not have it shipped insured
    internationally, then you probably have an issue that may not be
    reconcilable in your favor.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
    Spammers please contact me at .
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 18, 2005
    #6
  7. Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    >recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    >internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    >(3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    >(international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    >66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    >service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    >option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    >I got some info.
    >
    >Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems? Did they ever
    >receive the goods purchased? Or did they get their money back? I asked
    >B&H to give my money back, but they said they need the equipment back
    >first. But obviously, I can't send the equipment back, because I never
    >received it.


    They may think you are trying to scam them. It happens.

    Ask for someone that understands the international shipping process
    and ask this person to help you unravel the chain of custody. Most
    shippers will not talk to the reciepient, only the shipper which is
    their customer.

    Explain that you need B&H's help. It is 66+ days so something has
    happened to the shipment. B&H shipped it out via someone who has
    records since they want to show that they properly handed off to
    whatever entity that was the next chain in getting it to you.

    I'd likely stress to B&H that you understand that B&H has a good
    reputation and this is one of those times where a shipment has gone
    bad and it in necessary to provide customer support in tracking this
    down.

    I sure hope you get your camera. I'd be hearbroken on a 500 dollar
    one missing if I was on the hook for it.

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Gee Tee EYE EYE dot COM
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
    , Mar 18, 2005
    #7
  8. >Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    >recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    >internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    >(3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time


    I'm sure you'll hear the same thing from everyone. B&H is 100%
    honest. If they say they shipped the equipment, then they shipped it.

    If you didn't get the equipment, it's much more likely that the
    problem lies with Brazilian customs or delivery.

    I would suggest working with B&H - not trying to fight them.

    And if you paid by credit card, your credit card company may offer
    automatic insurance for stolen merchandise, which is what this sounds
    like.

    -Joel

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 18, 2005
    #8
  9. On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:43:10 -0800, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    >> recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    >> internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    >> (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    >> (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    >> 66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    >> service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    >> option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    >> I got some info.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems? Did they ever
    >> receive the goods purchased? Or did they get their money back? I asked
    >> B&H to give my money back, but they said they need the equipment back
    >> first. But obviously, I can't send the equipment back, because I never
    >> received it.
    >>
    >> Is there any organization in the U.S.A. that can help me? Can I sue B&H
    >> for damages? I am not a US resident.

    >
    >There was a fire at B&H recently. You might call them and ask if your
    >order has been delayed because of the fire.



    There was no fire at B&H, according to them. The fire was in an
    adjoining building.
    Oliver Costich, Mar 18, 2005
    #9
  10. On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:08:54 GMT, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
    wrote:

    >>Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    >>recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    >>internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    >>(3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time

    >
    >I'm sure you'll hear the same thing from everyone. B&H is 100%
    >honest. If they say they shipped the equipment, then they shipped it.
    >
    >If you didn't get the equipment, it's much more likely that the
    >problem lies with Brazilian customs or delivery.
    >
    >I would suggest working with B&H - not trying to fight them.
    >
    >And if you paid by credit card, your credit card company may offer
    >automatic insurance for stolen merchandise, which is what this sounds
    >like.
    >
    >-Joel
    >


    And regardless of B&H's trustworthiness, you can dispute credit card
    charges for items not received.

    >----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
    >----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oliver Costich, Mar 18, 2005
    #10
  11. C J Campbell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    > recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    > internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    > (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    > (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    > 66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    > service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    > option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    > I got some info.
    >
    > Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems?


    Yes. Your camera was probably stolen en route. B&H is renowned for shipping
    on time. Unfortunately, Brazil is one of those places where packages shipped
    there don't always arrive. It is also possible that the package is held up
    in Customs and they have not notified you of the fact.
    C J Campbell, Mar 18, 2005
    #11
  12. meow Guest

    If B&H is so great why is the guy having so much trouble getting info and
    help from Customer service? Does their customer service end at the shipping
    dock?



    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Hi everybody! I am resident in Brasil. I purchased a camera from B&H
    >> recently (order number 1002955482, total purchase ca. 2500 USD), via
    >> internet. My account was debited on 1/12/2005. But until today
    >> (3/18/2005), I have not received the camera. The promised delivery time
    >> (international shipping to Brasil) was 20-30 days. I have been waiting
    >> 66 days now. It is VERY difficult to get information from B&H customer
    >> service about the shipment (toll free number from Brasil: 0800-8910316
    >> option 1 or 7), it took me several hours on the phone last week before
    >> I got some info.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know other Brasilians with similar problems?

    >
    > Yes. Your camera was probably stolen en route. B&H is renowned for
    > shipping
    > on time. Unfortunately, Brazil is one of those places where packages
    > shipped
    > there don't always arrive. It is also possible that the package is held up
    > in Customs and they have not notified you of the fact.
    >
    >
    meow, Mar 18, 2005
    #12
  13. "meow" <> wrote in message news:423b2a42$...
    > If B&H is so great why is the guy having so much trouble getting info and
    > help from Customer service? Does their customer service end at the

    shipping
    > dock?



    When I have something coming from B&H I get tracking information. That might
    all change when we talk about international shipments. I suspect that
    tracking information is still available...but if one shipping company hands
    it off to another shipping company there could be a delay in getting
    tracking information from that point on.

    A Mr. Posner reads this group and often wades in. If he isn't the Grand
    Poobah of B and H would walk only a step or two behind if they had a parade.
    We should be hearing from him soon. But, he might not be free to share
    specifics with he group.

    Every once in a while someone will claim a problem with B and H and dozens
    will come to the defense of the company ....the is not by accident. There is
    no other company with a better reputation. They are not, however,
    responsible for what happens once the package leaves their dock.
    Frustrating? Sure. But still not anything they can do anything about.

    I am sure that there are companies in Brazil that can supply anything that B
    and H handles. If someone prefers to buy from the US you can bet its because
    of a substantial cost savings. This saving is because many nations put a
    high tax on imported tech items to control their balance of trade. For this
    reason tech items shipped to these countries may be delayed until duties are
    paid. How long this takes is up to the country in question.
    Gene Palmiter, Mar 18, 2005
    #13
  14. meow Guest

    I'm wondering how it was shipped. I have been shipping and receiving to
    Germany, Manila, Korea since 1987 at least 2 shipments monthly. I have used
    UPS, DHL but mostly Fed-X and have NEVER had a lost package. I cant imagine
    that Brazil is any worse than Manila. If I spent $500 I sure would want
    Fed-X.


    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    news:6sG_d.10238$hA3.2711@trnddc09...
    >
    > "meow" <> wrote in message news:423b2a42$...
    >> If B&H is so great why is the guy having so much trouble getting info and
    >> help from Customer service? Does their customer service end at the

    > shipping
    >> dock?

    >
    >
    > When I have something coming from B&H I get tracking information. That
    > might
    > all change when we talk about international shipments. I suspect that
    > tracking information is still available...but if one shipping company
    > hands
    > it off to another shipping company there could be a delay in getting
    > tracking information from that point on.
    >
    > A Mr. Posner reads this group and often wades in. If he isn't the Grand
    > Poobah of B and H would walk only a step or two behind if they had a
    > parade.
    > We should be hearing from him soon. But, he might not be free to share
    > specifics with he group.
    >
    > Every once in a while someone will claim a problem with B and H and dozens
    > will come to the defense of the company ....the is not by accident. There
    > is
    > no other company with a better reputation. They are not, however,
    > responsible for what happens once the package leaves their dock.
    > Frustrating? Sure. But still not anything they can do anything about.
    >
    > I am sure that there are companies in Brazil that can supply anything that
    > B
    > and H handles. If someone prefers to buy from the US you can bet its
    > because
    > of a substantial cost savings. This saving is because many nations put a
    > high tax on imported tech items to control their balance of trade. For
    > this
    > reason tech items shipped to these countries may be delayed until duties
    > are
    > paid. How long this takes is up to the country in question.
    >
    >
    meow, Mar 19, 2005
    #14
  15. "meow" <> wrote in message news:423b7692$...
    > I'm wondering how it was shipped. I have been shipping and receiving to
    > Germany, Manila, Korea since 1987 at least 2 shipments monthly. I have

    used
    > UPS, DHL but mostly Fed-X and have NEVER had a lost package. I cant

    imagine
    > that Brazil is any worse than Manila. If I spent $500 I sure would want
    > Fed-X.




    Yep...one the other hand we have criminals who prey on this sort of
    shipment. I wonder about a couple of things. Did the OP think that he was
    going to hurt B&H's reputation by posting here? Where is Posner to fill us
    in on what is going on? Why has the shipping information not been released?
    Gene Palmiter, Mar 19, 2005
    #15
  16. Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:49:22 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"meow" <> wrote in message news:423b7692$...
    >> I'm wondering how it was shipped. I have been shipping and receiving to
    >> Germany, Manila, Korea since 1987 at least 2 shipments monthly. I have

    >used
    >> UPS, DHL but mostly Fed-X and have NEVER had a lost package. I cant

    >imagine
    >> that Brazil is any worse than Manila. If I spent $500 I sure would want
    >> Fed-X.

    >
    >
    >
    >Yep...one the other hand we have criminals who prey on this sort of
    >shipment. I wonder about a couple of things. Did the OP think that he was
    >going to hurt B&H's reputation by posting here? Where is Posner to fill us
    >in on what is going on? Why has the shipping information not been released?
    >

    Personal opinion:
    The OP is a troll.
    He hasn't been back, and his complaint doesn't make sense.
    How long have any of us had to wait to get info on a shipped package?
    "Several hours" to get "some info"?
    I don't buy it. I think it's someone just trying to stir up trouble.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Mar 19, 2005
    #16
  17. Guest

    Hello Joel,

    Do you know someone at B&H with whom I can sort this out?

    The last time I talked to customer service (brasilian dept)
    I was told that the shipment is late, because of problems
    with transport to Brasil, and with the brasilian customs
    (receita federal). I was told that there are many shipments
    late, some more than mine.

    If this is true, then the camera is not stolen,
    but stuck in customs, and my case (66 days) is not
    an exception. Actually, my case might be typical for
    a brasilian customer.

    When I bought the camera, B&H told me that they can
    deliver in 20-30 days. It now turns out that delivery times
    are often much longer. I do not know what problems B&H
    have with the brasilian customs,
    but I believe that I could be waiting much more than 66 days.

    It is hard to believe that the B&H vendors do not know about the
    real delivery times. Had I known about these delays,
    then I would not have bought from B&H. Well, I guess that is
    why they did not tell me...

    So, what must I do now? To whom in B&H can
    I talk? I would like my money back. If you know someone,
    could you send me
    an e-mail () with a name
    and phone number?

    Thanks,

    Hermann
    , Mar 19, 2005
    #17
  18. Guest

    What does OP mean?

    You can try the customer service number yourself.

    >From Brasil, it is 0800-891-0315 (option 1 - order enquiries).

    This is for portuguese
    speakers. This number probably does not work from inside the U.S.,
    but there, you could try 212-444-6728. The answering tape is the same,
    so possibly, it is the same department...

    I have tried this number so many times that I now believe, that during
    normal
    office hours, nobody answers this phone (option 1 - order enquiry). I
    was
    successful in the evening hours, though.

    My order number with B&H is 1002955482. Fell free to enquire. I did
    pay 2.500 US Dollars, and I have not received the goods.

    Regards

    Hermann
    , Mar 19, 2005
    #18
  19. Guest

    Hi Gene,

    I do not know Mr. Posner, but if he is the "grand Poobah of B and H",
    as
    you say, then maybe he can help me sort this out.

    Do you have his e-mail adress or so?

    You are right that buying from the US is because of substantial cost
    savings. What I can buy in the U.S. for 2500 USD, would cost here about

    6000 USD or so (in this case, digital camera equipment).

    But, buying in the US can be problematic, as we see. I would not
    do it again. Let us see how much I will loose here. In the best case,
    I loose a lot of time. In the worst case, the money.

    Thanks,

    Hermann
    , Mar 19, 2005
    #19
  20. Big Bill Guest

    On 19 Mar 2005 09:35:59 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hello Joel,
    >
    >Do you know someone at B&H with whom I can sort this out?
    >
    >The last time I talked to customer service (brasilian dept)
    >I was told that the shipment is late, because of problems
    >with transport to Brasil, and with the brasilian customs
    >(receita federal). I was told that there are many shipments
    >late, some more than mine.
    >
    >If this is true, then the camera is not stolen,
    >but stuck in customs, and my case (66 days) is not
    >an exception. Actually, my case might be typical for
    >a brasilian customer.
    >
    >When I bought the camera, B&H told me that they can
    >deliver in 20-30 days. It now turns out that delivery times
    >are often much longer. I do not know what problems B&H
    >have with the brasilian customs,
    >but I believe that I could be waiting much more than 66 days.
    >
    >It is hard to believe that the B&H vendors do not know about the
    >real delivery times. Had I known about these delays,
    >then I would not have bought from B&H. Well, I guess that is
    >why they did not tell me...
    >
    >So, what must I do now? To whom in B&H can
    >I talk? I would like my money back. If you know someone,
    >could you send me
    >an e-mail () with a name
    >and phone number?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Hermann


    Al B&H can do is turn the package over to a shipper, just like any
    vendor. They do not control the package once it leaves their shop.

    B&H would have a hard time justifying a return of your money; it's not
    their fault if it's delayed in transit. You'd need a report from the
    shipper saying it's lost, and in that case, the insurance would pay
    you, not B&H.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Mar 19, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?TmF2eVdpZmV5MjAwNA==?=

    Internet Packets Sent but not received

    =?Utf-8?B?TmF2eVdpZmV5MjAwNA==?=, Nov 22, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    6,221
    =?Utf-8?B?RmVsaWNpYUJhbGR3aW4=?=
    Nov 22, 2004
  2. Andy Starnes
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    454
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Dec 12, 2003
  3. martin_nv

    Received new XP pro computer but want x64

    martin_nv, Dec 15, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    295
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
    Dec 15, 2005
  4. BlueZoo

    Discover How To Get Paid With Your Digital Camera!

    BlueZoo, Sep 17, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    302
    BlueZoo
    Sep 17, 2007
  5. TJD
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    398
Loading...

Share This Page