B&H Or Beachcamera.com

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jimmy, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. jimmy

    jimmy Guest

    Hi,

    I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
    the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    shady?

    QUOTE:
    Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
    low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
    for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
    warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
    not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
    sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
    dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
    high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
    does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.

    Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
    come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
    you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
    Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
    Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
    product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.

    This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera
    jimmy, Mar 28, 2006

  2. jimmy

    ob1cnob Guest

    I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me

    the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    shady?

    I have bought two film bodies, four lenses, grips and other accessories
    from Beach camera over a course of four years, but the last purchase
    was five years ago!
    I am completely satisfied with all the transactions I had.
    I have made all my recent purchase from B&H. Since I work in Manhattan
    I can walk into the store and personally buy what I want.
    Between the two stores, I would go for whoever offers the best price.
    Mat
    ob1cnob, Mar 28, 2006

  3. jimmy

    This old Bob Guest

    This old Bob, Mar 28, 2006
  4. jimmy

    jimmy Guest

    I've seen those ratings and others that rate B&H and Beach as both
    good, that's why I was surprized that B&H replied the way they did.
    jimmy, Mar 28, 2006
  5. jimmy

    bmoag Guest

    My experience buying non-grey market items at Beach camera has been
    exemplary. I have purchased Nikon cameras and lenses and received the
    rebates that Nikon offers only on genuine USA imports.
    If you are unsure if they are offering grey or USA market items ask them.
    Ask them if everything is included in the box that the manufacturer ships
    with the camera. I personally have no reservations about my dealings with
    Beach Camera, although the last item I purchased from them was about 18
    months ago.
    I also have never had a problem purchasing from B&H or Adorama and would not
    hesitate to buy from either. I do so regularly.
    Sometimes the best price is not always the best deal, not necessarily
    because the vendor is unscrupulous who is offering the lowest price, but an
    extra $10-20 to a dealer you trust can be a well spent premium for peace of
    mind.
    I would never buy anything from an unknown vendor at Ebay unless I was also
    prepared to eat the purchase price.
    bmoag, Mar 28, 2006
  6. jimmy

    george Guest

    "jimmy" <> wrote in message
    > I've seen those ratings and others that rate B&H and Beach as both
    > good, that's why I was surprized that B&H replied the way they did.

    In the past two years I've purchased from B&H, Beach Camera (a.k.a.
    buydig.com), and 17Photo...all have excellent ratings at resellerratings.com
    and no problems at any of them. There IS one difference between those
    three, however, and it doesn't favor B&H...B&H is the only one that charges
    your credit card at the time of order rather than shipment. While you might
    think this is very little difference, it did mean that B&H had my money tied
    up for 6 months trying to get a lens case no longer in production.
    Personally, my take on their response is they are trying to "worry" you into
    not buying from their very capable competition. Where B&H has a big
    advantage over the other two I mentioned is that those two tend to only have
    the most popular items while B&H has everything.
    george, Mar 28, 2006
  7. On 28 Mar 2006 13:21:50 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "jimmy"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    >ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    >they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
    >the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    >shady?

    I bought my Nikon D70 and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR from B&H both USA spec back in
    9/2004. Bought a gray market TC-2x converter from them later I recently
    bought a D200 from Beach, also USA spec with warranty as stated. on the web
    site when I placed the order.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 29, 2006
  8. jimmy

    l e o Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > My experience buying non-grey market items at Beach camera has been
    > exemplary. I have purchased Nikon cameras and lenses and received the
    > rebates that Nikon offers only on genuine USA imports.
    > If you are unsure if they are offering grey or USA market items ask them.
    > Ask them if everything is included in the box that the manufacturer ships
    > with the camera. I personally have no reservations about my dealings with
    > Beach Camera, although the last item I purchased from them was about 18
    > months ago.
    > I also have never had a problem purchasing from B&H or Adorama and would not
    > hesitate to buy from either. I do so regularly.
    > Sometimes the best price is not always the best deal, not necessarily
    > because the vendor is unscrupulous who is offering the lowest price, but an
    > extra $10-20 to a dealer you trust can be a well spent premium for peace of
    > mind.
    > I would never buy anything from an unknown vendor at Ebay unless I was also
    > prepared to eat the purchase price.

    B&H offers refund if you don't like the products. Beach Camera/BuyDig
    doesn't.
    l e o, Mar 29, 2006
  9. jimmy

    jb Guest

    jimmy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    > ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    > they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
    > the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    > shady?
    >
    > QUOTE:
    > Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
    > low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
    > for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
    > warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
    > not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
    > sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
    > dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
    > high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
    > does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.
    >
    > Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
    > come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
    > you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
    > Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
    > Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
    > product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.
    >
    > This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera

    It's just not worth the trouble to use Beach Camera. Some people
    apparently get good deals, but they are few and far between.
    jb, Mar 29, 2006
  10. jimmy

    jb Guest

    jb wrote:
    > jimmy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    >> ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    >> they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
    >> the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    >> shady?
    >>
    >> QUOTE:
    >> Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
    >> low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
    >> for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
    >> warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
    >> not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
    >> sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
    >> dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
    >> high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
    >> does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.
    >>
    >> Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
    >> come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
    >> you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
    >> Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
    >> Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
    >> product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.
    >>
    >> This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera
    >>

    > It's just not worth the trouble to use Beach Camera. Some people
    > apparently get good deals, but they are few and far between.

    B&H sends out giant catalogues ;)
    jb, Mar 29, 2006
  11. jimmy

    Tony Guest

    Beach has apparently changed their modus operandi inthe past few years - but
    they did have a decades long reputation for bait and switch. I still won't
    buy from them.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Mar 29, 2006
  12. jimmy

    TMG Guest

    jimmy wrote:

    For experience with Beach: I purchased a 20D w/ the 17-85 lens as one
    purchase in July or August, and several other smaller purchases since then.

    I've never had any problems, nor had anything other than a smooth
    transaction. I've recommended Beach to family and friends.
    TMG, Mar 29, 2006
  13. jimmy

    ASAAR Guest

    On 28 Mar 2006 14:15:28 -0800, jimmy wrote:

    > I've seen those ratings and others that rate B&H and Beach as both
    > good, that's why I was surprized that B&H replied the way they did.

    You shouldn't be surprised. With the exception of the very last
    line that mentioned "Beach Camera" by name, it appears to be a
    generic reply that is valid for all of the competitors that may
    occasionally or often undercut B&H's price. In other words, the
    email they sent you wasn't written specifically to compare
    themselves with Beach Camera, but was boiler-plate that explained
    their price policy in general. If you reread their reply this
    should now be obvious. (ie, "Several camera dealers...", "Other
    dealers...", etc.)

    If you expect to only pay the lowest possible price for everything
    you buy, you'll probably do well to avoid B&H completely, even if
    their price is often fairly competitive, as it is in your case with
    the Canon Rebel XT. But for a sometimes slightly higher price from
    B&H, you're getting value for your money, if you value things like a
    huge selection of items that you can hold in your hand before you
    buy (if you walk into the store, that is), huge inventory, honesty,
    no-hassle returns, generally knowledgeable staff that (from what
    I've seen) tries to steer you to items that *you* actually want to
    buy rather than what *they* want you to buy.

    This isn't to say that there's anything wrong with buying from
    Beach Camera/buydig.com, But consider this. Suppose you have a
    large group at a restaurant where the bill comes to $649. Most
    people will add a tip/gratuity of 15%, some 20%. That would bring
    the total to $746 or $779, where the extra amount goes to compensate
    for service that is sometimes earned, sometimes not. But it's not
    something that most people are overly concerned about. The
    difference in price between Beach and B&H for the Rebel XT only
    amounts to 4%. It's your money so only you know the best way to
    spend it for yourself. When the difference is that small, I'd
    rather stick with B&H. If they went out of business or moved to
    another city, I'd consider it to be a considerable loss, not just to
    myself but to the local photographic community as well. Even now I
    can understand that this may not be obvious to you, but if you ever
    get a chance to visit their store, you'll know what I mean. :)
    ASAAR, Mar 29, 2006
  14. jimmy

    Mark² Guest

    jimmy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    > ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    > they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent
    > me the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    > shady?

    Read this from Beach's LENGTHY return policy:

    "2. Returns are permitted within 15 days from the date of receipt of
    merchandise. Returned merchandise will be accepted by us only if all
    conditions A, B, C, D below are met. ***There is a 10% - 20% restocking fee
    on all merchandise returned***, shipping and handling charges are not
    refundable. We are not responsible for any shipping charges of merchandise
    being returned to us. Any items that are opened or used are subject to a
    restocking fee even if they are returned within the ten day period! "

    10-20% restocking fee on ALL PURCHASES--even if in perfect, new
    condition????? -Even unopened?????
    They've got to be KIDDING!!!

    Foget it.
    Beach will NEVER see any of my money.

    I bought a Canon 1D back when they cost a mint.
    I promptly returned it in favor of my 10D.
    -Not one moment of hesitation from B&H... No questions, no hassle.
    -But a simple, quick return and prompt credit to my card.
    No restocking fee...no problem of any kind.

    When you read the fine print...Beach does NOT compare favorably with B&H.

    -Mark
    Mark², Mar 29, 2006
  15. jimmy

    BJ in Texas Guest

    jimmy <> wrote:
    || Hi,
    || I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00(
    || incl ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and
    || asked them if they could match it (they have it for $779+
    || shipping) and they sent me the following. My question is: Are
    || they correct, is beachcamera.com shady?
    || QUOTE:
    || Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by
    || offering a low price on the camera but they will often charge
    || a much higher price for the accessories such as memory,
    || batteries, cases, filters, warranties and shipping. Other
    || dealers will claim that the camera does not come with
    || software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to sell
    || you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of
    || these dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you
    || order enough of the high priced accessories. Unfortunately
    || you will not know if the dealer does not ship the camera
    || until sometime after you place the order.
    || Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras
    || that do not come with any warranty or technical support.
    || There is no way to tell if you received a gray market product
    || until after you receive the product. Then you must call the
    || manufacturer and read the serial number to them. Then the
    || manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
    || product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.
    || This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera

    I have done business numerous times with both B&H and Beach
    Camera over the last several years. Both seem to be reputable
    sellers. Both have delivered the merchandise advertised at the
    price quoted. Neither has pushed to buy anything other that what
    I ordered.

    BJ

    Read: http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

    "Few are the problems of mankind which are not amenable to a
    suitable application of high explosives."
    BJ in Texas, Mar 29, 2006
  16. jimmy

    Paul J Gans Guest

    jimmy <> wrote:
    >Hi,

    >I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    >ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    >they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
    >the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    >shady?

    >QUOTE:
    >Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
    >low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
    >for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
    >warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
    >not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
    >sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
    >dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
    >high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
    >does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.

    >Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
    >come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
    >you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
    >Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
    >Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
    >product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.

    >This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera

    I'd trust B&H.

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Mar 30, 2006
  17. jimmy

    jimmy Guest

    Thanks for all the feedback! To make matters more interesting, now
    Beach has the kit for $733.00!
    jimmy, Mar 30, 2006
  18. jimmy

    jimmy Guest

    Thanks for all the feedback. To make matters more interesting, Beach
    now has the kit for 733.00!
    jimmy, Mar 30, 2006
  19. jimmy

    SMS Guest

    jimmy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
    > ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
    > they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
    > the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
    > shady?

    Beach/Buydig is quite reputable these days. Beach is 9.07 on
    resellerratings.com, while B&H is 9.25. A long time ago, Beach had a
    horrible reputation, but the business changed hands, and apparently the
    current owners are not shady. I have bought from both B&H and
    Beach/Buydig, with no issues at all.

    I'd avoid anyplace with a rating of less than 8, unless I had prior good
    experience with them.

    I think that B&H avoids price-matching as a matter of principle.
    SMS, Mar 30, 2006
  20. jimmy

    SMS Guest

    jimmy wrote:
    > Thanks for all the feedback. To make matters more interesting, Beach
    > now has the kit for 733.00!

    Actually $732, versus $790.70 from B&H. I'd probably go with Beach for
    that large of a difference. If it were only $35 more at B&H then I'd
    probably go with B&H, but his is more than a $50 ddifference.
    SMS, Mar 30, 2006