B&H has the best customer service on the planet!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stacey, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:

    ----------------

    I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was rather
    frustrating.

    I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
    "tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
    what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
    right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
    and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
    and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to couldn't
    figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
    refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
    was almost more than the item cost.

    I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
    item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
    to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
    have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
    straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
    buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.

    -----------------

    Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
    ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
    e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology, explained
    how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
    item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and he
    would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
    a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
    can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
    this long a period of time. They got my vote!
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Stacey

    Crownfield Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:
    >
    > ----------------
    >
    > I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was rather
    > frustrating.
    >
    > I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
    > "tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
    > what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
    > right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
    > and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
    > and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to couldn't
    > figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
    > refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
    > was almost more than the item cost.
    >
    > I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
    > item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
    > to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
    > have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
    > straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
    > buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.
    >
    > -----------------
    >
    > Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
    > ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
    > e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology, explained
    > how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
    > item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and he
    > would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
    > a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
    > can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
    > this long a period of time. They got my vote!

    how the hell did you get
    "the worst customer service in the world"
    to go so far beyond bad service,
    when the other idiot pissant, or whatever his name was,
    could not get anything from them?

    I bet you calmly stated your problem,
    without any whining and bitching.
    could it be that you were reasonable?
    that reasonable works?

    hey pissant, take a lesson here.

    Crownfield, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Stacey

    foto-op Guest

    I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
    Stacey <> wrote in message
    &gt; I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&amp;H thread:<BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; ----------------<BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was
    rather<BR>
    &gt; frustrating.<BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; &nbsp;I ordered a &quot;slim&quot; contax 82-86mm filter step up ring
    and I was send a<BR>
    &gt; &quot;tall&quot; contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained
    on the phone<BR>
    &gt; what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item
    wasn't<BR>
    &gt; right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I
    ordered<BR>
    &gt; and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several
    weeks<BR>
    &gt; and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to
    couldn't<BR>
    &gt; figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for
    a<BR>
    &gt; refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice
    which<BR>
    &gt; was almost more than the item cost. <BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that
    this<BR>
    &gt; item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them
    out<BR>
    &gt; to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is &quot;pro&quot;
    service? I would<BR>
    &gt; have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could<BR>
    &gt; straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else
    to<BR>
    &gt; buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.<BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; -----------------<BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; <BR>
    &gt; Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several
    months<BR>
    &gt; ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that.
    I<BR>
    &gt; e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology,
    explained<BR>
    &gt; how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning
    this<BR>
    &gt; item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time
    and he<BR>
    &gt; would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this
    was<BR>
    &gt; a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them.
    I<BR>
    &gt; can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs
    after<BR>
    &gt; this long a period of time. They got my vote! <BR>
    &gt; -- <BR>
    &gt; &nbsp;<BR>
    &gt; &nbsp; Stacey
    foto-op, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Stacey

    Christian Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
    > ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
    > e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology,
    > explained how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for
    > returning this item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at
    > the time and he would have straightened this out then, said it didn't
    > matter that this was a small item or that I don't really order that much
    > stuff from them. I can't imagine any other place offering to refund my
    > shipping costs after this long a period of time. They got my vote!

    You shouldn't have had to pay for the shipping costs in the first place as
    it was their fault!

    My experience with B&H was pretty poor. There was a problem with my order
    (my credit card verification attempt wasn't sufficient for them -- although
    that didn't stop them debitting the card straight away!) so they just
    ignored my order. I emailed them after a week to see what was going on and
    even then I didn't get a direct personal response. If they're going to be
    so anal about credit card verification then they should set up a secure
    server that people can upload their card images to. Instead they make you
    send these via email -- all the while claiming that they're doing the card
    verification to protect you from identity fraud. Still, it doesn't stop
    them debitting unverified credit cards in the meantime...
    Christian, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Stacey

    Bill Turlock Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:
    >
    > ----------------
    >
    > I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was rather
    > frustrating.
    >
    > I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
    > "tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
    > what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
    > right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
    > and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
    > and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to couldn't
    > figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
    > refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
    > was almost more than the item cost.
    >
    > I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
    > item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
    > to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
    > have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
    > straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
    > buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.
    >
    > -----------------
    >
    > Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
    > ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
    > e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology, explained
    > how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
    > item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and he
    > would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
    > a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
    > can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
    > this long a period of time. They got my vote!
    > --
    >
    > Stacey

    I've been wondering about their reputation in this forum for
    stellar service for a long time. In my only experience with
    them, back in the early 90's, I received very shoddy
    service.

    I had ordered a Kramer SV-6E 4x4 SVHS matrix switcher. (A
    fine product, BTW)

    When it arrived, it had obviously been previously opened and
    used, there were extreme signs of wear; and it didn't work!

    Since I had an important application for it, and couldn't
    wait the time it would have taken to return it and wait for
    the replacement, I called their customer service. They
    agreed to send me another new one right away and to credit
    me for the broken one when they received it, and that they
    would also credit me for my cost of shipping it back to
    them.

    Time dragged on, and when they finally credited me for the
    returned one, they never gave me back the shipping charges.

    Nothing right about that. Haven't bought anything from them
    since.

    Regards

    Bill Turlock
    Bill Turlock, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Stacey

    Jim Phelps Guest

    "Bill Turlock" <"Bill Turlock"@sonnic.net> wrote in message

    > Time dragged on, and when they finally credited me for the
    > returned one, they never gave me back the shipping charges.
    >
    > Nothing right about that. Haven't bought anything from them
    > since.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Bill Turlock

    Bill,

    I assumed you followed up? Or did you just give up?

    B&H does so much business, the person who made you promises is not the
    person that takes care of the problem when your return arrives. A phone
    call (in my experience) is all it take to clear up the matter.

    FWIW, I've been doing business with B&H since 1979. They've only 'messed
    up' one order that required a return and refund. It was for an item that
    was incorrectly described on their web page. No big deal. It took 3 months
    of statements for the refund to show up, but at least half of that was
    attributed to the CC processor (VISA) and timing. B&H had processed the
    refund within 72 hours of the receipt of the return. The rest I won't blame
    them for.

    I prefer B&H as the supplier of most of my photo equipment because
    they're quick, efficient and helpful. They are also reasonable when
    something goes wrong. They don't have the best price in town on many items,
    but I'll pay a couple of extra cents for the assuaged nervous system that
    what I need and ordered will be what I get or will be taken care of without
    too much hassle.

    Jim Phelps, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Every transaction I have had with them has always been fine.

    Reading the responses from those who had a bad experience, has indicated
    most are very honest individuals, B&H made an error and the one who placed
    the order failed to take the steps a normal person would to resolve them or
    there was a misunderstanding and the confusion resulted in a problem.

    Misunderstandings happen in any human to human transaction, some people
    have a difficult time understanding that and/or fail to follow up to correct
    them when they discover it. It seems they would rather complain here than
    accept that those things often happen with any relationship.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Stacey

    Alan Browne Guest

    Jim Phelps wrote:

    > A phone call (in my experience) is all it take to clear up the matter.

    Concur wholeheartedly. Last Jan, B&H dropped the web published price of
    an item by $20.00 the day after I ordered it. I phoned up, explained,
    and they credited my CC $20.00 immediately. I was polite and concise;
    they were polite and thorough.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Stacey

    BandHPhoto Guest

    < In my only experience with them, back in the early 90's, I received very
    shoddy
    service.>

    I am very sorry to learn now that a decade or more ago you had an
    unsatisfactory experience. Please accept our apologies.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Stacey

    Frank Pittel Guest

    My father used to tell me (another story about things my father used to tell me.
    :)) that honest people make honest mistakes and make them right when the find out
    about them. I've had dealings with B&H where they made honest mistakes but they've
    ALWAYS made them right. The first time they noticed before I did (I actually didn't
    notice at all) and they called me to tell me about it and how they were going to be
    fixing it.

    In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    : Every transaction I have had with them has always been fine.

    : Reading the responses from those who had a bad experience, has indicated
    : most are very honest individuals, B&H made an error and the one who placed
    : the order failed to take the steps a normal person would to resolve them or
    : there was a misunderstanding and the confusion resulted in a problem.

    : Misunderstandings happen in any human to human transaction, some people
    : have a difficult time understanding that and/or fail to follow up to correct
    : them when they discover it. It seems they would rather complain here than
    : accept that those things often happen with any relationship.

    : --
    : Joseph E. Meehan

    : 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    -------------------
    Frank Pittel, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Stacey

    chmc Guest

    "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:
    >
    > ----------------
    >
    > I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was

    rather
    > frustrating.
    >
    > I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
    > "tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
    > what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
    > right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
    > and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
    > and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to

    couldn't
    > figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
    > refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
    > was almost more than the item cost.
    >
    > I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
    > item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
    > to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
    > have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
    > straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
    > buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.
    >
    > -----------------
    >

    > Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
    > ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
    > e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology,

    explained
    > how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
    > item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and

    he
    > would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
    > a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
    > can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
    > this long a period of time. They got my vote!
    > --

    I actually think KEH has the best customer service on the planet. I think
    B&H is fine, but not super extra great or anything. The fiddly stuff people
    are complaining about on this thread is just the kind of thing I expect when
    mail ordering stuff. Maybe not the guy who got a used/broken item, but I
    stuff like having to nag for reimbursement of shipping costs seems like it's
    just standard for mail order.
    chmc, Feb 4, 2004
  12. "Frank Pittel" <> wrote in message
    > My father used to tell me (another story about things my father used to

    tell me.
    > :)) that honest people make honest mistakes and make them right when the

    find out
    > about them. I've had dealings with B&H where they made honest mistakes but

    they've
    > ALWAYS made them right. The first time they noticed before I did (I

    actually didn't
    > notice at all) and they called me to tell me about it and how they were

    going to be
    > fixing it.

    I am now retired, but for 30 years I worked for a government tax
    authority. My experience is that most errors are made by people trying to
    do right, but simple errors or lack of knowledge cause problems.

    It should be noted that over those 30 years, I found and granted almost
    as many refunds as increases.

    That said, there were those who certainly were trying to cheat, just as
    there are dishonest business men in every area.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > I was polite and concise;
    > they were polite and thorough.

    That's all it seems to take. They are very resonable people if you are
    reasonable.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Feb 5, 2004
  14. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    chmc wrote:

    > I actually think KEH has the best customer service on the planet. I think
    > B&H is fine, but not super extra great or anything. The fiddly stuff
    > people are complaining about on this thread is just the kind of thing I
    > expect when
    > mail ordering stuff. Maybe not the guy who got a used/broken item, but I
    > stuff like having to nag for reimbursement of shipping costs seems like
    > it's just standard for mail order.

    Well I had KEH send an -UGLY- 'blad back when it was sold as bargain and
    they didn't offer to pay return shipping either. I can't bitch because a
    bargain rated back I bought a week earlier looked EX+ to me so maybe I was
    expecting too much? I ended up with 2 nice backs for a fair price so I'm
    happy. With B&H I ended up with no item and just shipping for their
    mistake, I'm glad they took care of it.

    I don't think many places ever pay for return shipping unless you beg for it
    or it's obviously their fault.. KEH did swap it for a good one no questions
    asked so I do think they are a good place to buy from. I've never bought
    used stuff from B&H so can't coment on that part of their bussiness.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Feb 5, 2004
  15. "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > chmc wrote:
    >

    > > I actually think KEH has the best customer service on the planet. I

    think
    > > B&H is fine, but not super extra great or anything. The fiddly stuff
    > > people are complaining about on this thread is just the kind of thing I
    > > expect when
    > > mail ordering stuff. Maybe not the guy who got a used/broken item, but

    > > stuff like having to nag for reimbursement of shipping costs seems like
    > > it's just standard for mail order.

    > Well I had KEH send an -UGLY- 'blad back when it was sold as bargain and
    > they didn't offer to pay return shipping either. I can't bitch because a
    > bargain rated back I bought a week earlier looked EX+ to me so maybe I was
    > expecting too much? I ended up with 2 nice backs for a fair price so I'm
    > happy. With B&H I ended up with no item and just shipping for their
    > mistake, I'm glad they took care of it.
    >
    > I don't think many places ever pay for return shipping unless you beg for

    it
    > or it's obviously their fault.. KEH did swap it for a good one no

    questions
    > asked so I do think they are a good place to buy from. I've never bought
    > used stuff from B&H so can't coment on that part of their bussiness.
    >
    > --

    I ordered a used lens from KEH, and it got lost in the mail. I called them,
    and they offered to give me one in better condition for the same price if
    they couldn't get UPS to figure out what they did with it, then actually
    called UPS and badgered them into finding it. I've got to give them high
    marks.
    scooter the mighty, Feb 5, 2004
  16. Stacey

    gr Guest

    Re: B&H has the worst customer service on the planet!

    "BandHPhoto" <> wrote

    > I am very sorry to learn now that a decade or more ago you had an
    > unsatisfactory experience. Please accept our apologies.
    > - --
    >
    > regards,
    > Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    Here's some advice, which you will probably ignore.

    Your satire may go over well with people that have never had any problems
    dealing with B&H, but your poor attitude towards customers with complaints
    only reenforces their opinion that you simply couldn't care less. You may
    very well have a valid reason to use sarcasm, but just what does it
    accomplish?

    Jerks like me can be as nasty as I want, because I'm not representing anyone
    or anything other than my own personal opinion. But you're representing your
    company's opinion! Pretty stupid.
    gr, Feb 5, 2004
  17. Stacey

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "gr" <> wrote in message
    > "BandHPhoto" <> wrote
    > >
    > > I am very sorry to learn now that a decade or more ago you had an
    > > unsatisfactory experience. Please accept our apologies.
    > > - --
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    > > http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    > >

    > Here's some advice, which you will probably ignore.
    >
    > Your satire may go over well with people that have never had any problems
    > dealing with B&H, but your poor attitude towards customers with complaints
    > only reenforces their opinion that you simply couldn't care less. You may
    > very well have a valid reason to use sarcasm, but just what does it
    > accomplish?

    Where did you get the impression that Mr. Posner's response was satirical or
    sarcastic?

    > Jerks like me

    Well, who could argue with you then...

    > can be as nasty as I want, because I'm not representing anyone
    > or anything other than my own personal opinion.

    As a self admitted "jerk."

    > But you're representing your company's opinion!

    And Mr. Posner said he was "very sorry" and apologized.

    > Pretty stupid.

    Apparently?
    Dan Sullivan, Feb 5, 2004
  18. Stacey

    Alan Browne Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > It should be noted that over those 30 years, I found and granted almost
    > as many refunds as increases.

    Only a taxman would say "I granted increases." ;-)

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 5, 2004
  19. Stacey

    Rob Guest

    Christian <> wrote in message news:<bvpon2$3an$>...

    > My experience with B&H was pretty poor. There was a problem with my order
    > (my credit card verification attempt wasn't sufficient for them -- although
    > that didn't stop them debitting the card straight away!)

    Funny I had a similar verification-problem-but-charge-the-card-anyway
    experience. In my case it caused me to lose $27. Let me explain.

    After placing my order I had a mail from them:

    "Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to the
    following reason(s): Please provide us with your billing address and
    phone number as listed with your bank."

    I called and was asked to verify my address. Since I knew this was my
    UK credit card with a US billing address I guessed this was the
    problem and just asked to use my US Amex instead which they did. I
    found out later my UK card had actually been billed and refunded a
    couple of days later - the differences in exchange rates meant I was
    out of pocket by $27 wiping out the price saving in going with B&H in
    the first place!

    Now I know I complicated things with my overseas credit card but what
    gets me is that they said "your order cannot be processed" and yet
    they still charged my card without telling me - defeating the purpose
    of the verification.

    I emailed them with these details and got no response which seems
    typical these days when a company has your money in their pockets
    already. Well it makes a difference because my wife wants the same
    camera but B&H is not getting my business again. A simple mail from
    them acknowledging the problem and I might have stayed faithful. Rant
    over!
    Rob, Feb 5, 2004
  20. Stacey

    gr Guest

    Re: B&H has the worst customer service on the planet!

    "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote

    > > "BandHPhoto" <> wrote
    > > >
    > > > I am very sorry to learn now that a decade or more ago you had an
    > > > unsatisfactory experience. Please accept our apologies.

    > Where did you get the impression that Mr. Posner's response was satirical

    or
    > sarcastic?

    If you're serious, then you're a bigger idiot than you've already made
    yourself out to be.
    gr, Feb 6, 2004