    effects?

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, Aug 5, 2006

  2. ink wrote:
    > What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having
    > its effects?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > ink

    Yea, it seems to be down. I ran into several regular dependable sites
    down yesterday.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 5, 2006

  3. ink

    ink Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > ink wrote:
    >> What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having
    >> its effects?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> ink

    > Yea, it seems to be down. I ran into several regular dependable sites
    > down yesterday.

    Thanks, Joseph! So it wasn't just the voices suddenly shutting up :)

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, Aug 5, 2006
  4. On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:33:34 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    >ink wrote:
    >> What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having
    >> its effects?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> ink

    > Yea, it seems to be down. I ran into several regular dependable sites
    >down yesterday.

    Seems to be more of a dns issue. I can't get an ip back from the Cox dns
    servers.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Aug 5, 2006
  5. ink

    Sheldon Guest

    "ink" <> wrote in message
    > What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
    > effects?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > ink

    Their site is usually up all the time, but keep in mind today is the Sabbath
    so there may not be anybody working on it.

    Sheldon, Aug 5, 2006
  6. ink

    Dave Guest

    On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:58:41 +0200, "ink" <> wrote:

    >What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
    >effects?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >ink

    Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

    Dave
    East Englewood

    The proof is in the print.

    Dave, Aug 6, 2006
  7. ink

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:33:07 -0400, Dave wrote:

    > Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

    Yes, but their web servers remain at least partially operational.

    ASAAR, Aug 6, 2006
  8. ink

    J. Clarke Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:58:41 +0200, "ink" <> wrote:
    >
    >>What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
    >>effects?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>ink

    > Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

    They stop accepting orders but they do not take down their servers.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Aug 6, 2006
  9. ink

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:15:34 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:33:07 -0400, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

    > Yes, but their web servers remain at least partially operational.

    When I tried to access them on Thursday, they had a notice up that they
    were having power problems to their servers. I assume that the message
    was coming from an alternate site.

    Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom, Aug 6, 2006
  10. ink

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 04:22:26 GMT, Gary Edstrom wrote:

    >>> Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

    >> Yes, but their web servers remain at least partially operational.

    > When I tried to access them on Thursday, they had a notice up that they
    > were having power problems to their servers. I assume that the message
    > was coming from an alternate site.

    Could be. Or B&H could have taken most of their disk drives off
    line for protection, and left a minimal system running with the
    notice. Their location is in that strip of Manhattan that the city
    and/or ConEd indicated was at greatest risk during the heat wave,
    and asked for voluntary power usage cutbacks. Con Ed may have done
    some preemptive power reductions in that area, too. I didn't notice
    any flickering or brownouts, but there were some power failures in
    parts of each of the city's boroughs.

    ASAAR, Aug 6, 2006
  11. ink

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:58:41 +0200, "ink" <> wrote:

    >What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
    >effects?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >ink

    They seem to be back up as of a couple of minutes ago.

    Gary

    Gary Edstrom, Aug 6, 2006
  12. ink

    henryp Guest

    ink wrote:
    > What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
    > effects?

    Friday there was a manhole fire (or explosion I am told -- I didn't see
    it personally) on 33rd St neat 9th Ave. Power was out in our
    neighhborhood including the building housing the store and one of our
    warehouses.

    I am not going to discuss details about web hosting or security for
    obvious reasons, but our phone system was down and our web site and
    order system went offline sometime before 11:00am Friday.

    We certainly regret any inconvenience this caused, and apologize for
    any distress. It's now Sunday morning and a bright sunny day in
    Manhattan and all is well.
    --
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video, Inc