B*gg*r it! I've killed my wireless network access somehow.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tim Downie, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    My wife got a new laptop for Christams, a Centrino based Packard Bell.

    As usual, it was full of corporate branding all over the place (which I
    hate) and I was keen to remove it. (Prior to this, I had configured the
    wireless networking with our home network and it was wrking fine).

    I did a bit of searching on the net and came across this site
    (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm) and I followed the instruction
    about running the command "rundll32 iedkcs32.dll,BrandCleanInstallStubs" in
    the run dialogue box. Unfortunately, I misread the instruction and omitted
    the stuff after the comma. (i.e. I typed "rundll32 iedkcs32ddl").

    This didn't remove the banding but somehow killed the wireless access to the
    net. I rebooted, tried system restore, ran the full command above (which
    did remove the branding), tried a full destructive restore to factory
    settings (which wipes everything and returns it to it's delivery condition)
    all to no avail.

    Whilst our home network will sometimes appear in the preferred networks box,
    the network name never appears in the available networks box.

    I've trived removing the device in device manager and letting windows find
    the new hardware again and when the drivers are reinstalled, it appears that
    the device is working properly.

    I can't think what else to try! I'm wondering if the laptop has suffered a
    coincidental hardware failure in its wireless doodad but I can't help
    feeling that I'm responsible. I just can't understand why a full system
    restore to factory condition hasn't sorted things.

    Can anyone help?

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Tim Downie wrote:
    > My wife got a new laptop for Christams, a Centrino based Packard Bell.

    <snip>

    Just as a follow up, I've just stuffed an old USR PCMCIA wireless networking
    card in the slot and bingo, it's connecting again. I just can't seem to
    configure the integral wireless networking or get it working.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Tim Downie

    Tony Guest

    "Tim Downie" <> wrote in message
    > Tim Downie wrote:
    >> My wife got a new laptop for Christams, a Centrino based Packard Bell.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Just as a follow up, I've just stuffed an old USR PCMCIA wireless
    > networking card in the slot and bingo, it's connecting again. I just
    > can't seem to configure the integral wireless networking or get it
    > working.
    >
    > Tim

    Try finding an updated driver. If you are not sure what wireless chip is
    used try installing Everest Home
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3 and look
    for the wireless set up info. Then do a google search for an updated
    driver.

    Tony, Dec 26, 2004