    know what port number I should be using?
    I don't have a firewall and my AV software is AVG Free.
    Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
    Boppy, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Boppy

    Chris Hope Guest

    http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php?title=Why_ports_like_6881_are_no_good_choice
    > or here
    > http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers.
    > My ISP is Xtra - do I need to get their suggestion, or does anyone
    > here know what port number I should be using?
    > I don't have a firewall and my AV software is AVG Free.
    > Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

    I was having the exact same issue when I started using bittorrent. After
    a bit of searching, I discovered what you need to do is configure your
    router to forward connections for that port number to your computer. As
    soon as I did this I started getting excellent download speeds.

    Chris Hope, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Boppy, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Boppy

    Guest

    Boppy wrote:

    > Have been downloading some torrents but making very little progress. DL
    > speed is onIy around 1.2kBs most of the time and the ETA for a 2 gig
    > file is 9 days at this rate.
    > I can only get the yellow face which means I "am connected to peers,
    > the tracker is okay but I don't have a remote connection and may have
    > NAT issues". The help file suggests I change my port from 31012 which
    > was automatically assigned when I installed the program. They suggest
    > visiting here to choose a port:
    > http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php?title=Why_ports_like_6881_are_no_good_choice
    > or here
    > http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers.
    > My ISP is Xtra - do I need to get their suggestion, or does anyone here
    > know what port number I should be using?
    > I don't have a firewall and my AV software is AVG Free.
    > Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

    Hi Boppy...As Chris says, nine times out of ten the problem you've
    described can be remedied by opening the ports on your router.
    Instructions for configuring most routers can be found on
    http://portforward.com/default.htm

    You don't say what torrent software you're using but I'm guessing
    azureus cos of the wiki link you gave. With respect to azureus and it's
    users, have you considered using uTorrent. Incredibly easy to setup and
    a miniscule footprint as compared to azureus which can be a bit of a
    hog.

    Then again, if azureus works for you that's really all that matters.

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Aug 27, 2006
  5. Boppy

    Guest

    wrote:

    > You don't say what torrent software you're using

    Sorry Boppy, I meant what version of azureus you're using :)

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Aug 27, 2006
  6. Boppy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:29:14 -0700, miguellint wrote:

    > wrote:
    >

    >> You don't say what torrent software you're using

    > Sorry Boppy, I meant what version of azureus you're using :)

    Would it not be the latest. One of the first things the blue frog does is
    to check for updates of its self and if there is one, one gets it.
    Gordon, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Boppy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 03:24:02 -0700, Boppy wrote:

    > Have been downloading some torrents but making very little progress. DL
    > speed is onIy around 1.2kBs most of the time and the ETA for a 2 gig
    > file is 9 days at this rate.
    > I can only get the yellow face which means I "am connected to peers,
    > the tracker is okay but I don't have a remote connection and may have
    > NAT issues".

    How many seeds do you have? Seeds are need, as in if you have 50 peers and
    10,000 slices of the file it is unlikely that all the peers have all the
    10,000 slices between them.

    BTW see, why one should continue seeding after you have all the file?
    Gordon, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks guys, this is really frustrating.

    I have followed all the portforward.com directions carefully and got
    into the Dlink setup programme. It told me to click on advanced/virtual
    server tabs, which I did. However, then I was told in a Javascript
    application that I need to enter an IP address and password and it
    flicks me straight back to the Lan Clients tab. I phoned Xtra and got a
    guy who couldn't help because it shouldn't be doing that, so he told me
    he had to transfer me to D-link but of course they are closed on the
    weekend and won't be open apart from when I am at work and can't be in
    front of the computer.

    I am now downloading uTorrent and hopefully won't have the same port
    problems.
    Boppy, Aug 27, 2006
  9. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    This is the screen that won't let me click Virtual Server:
    http://i8.tinypic.com/25qt0d4.jpg

    Boppy, Aug 27, 2006
  10. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    uTorrent is no better - the port it needs is also closed. Grr.

    Boppy, Aug 27, 2006
  11. Boppy

    Richard Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > uTorrent is no better - the port it needs is also closed. Grr.

    All ports are closed unless you setup a forward on the router. Thats the nature
    of being stuck behind a NAT.
    Richard, Aug 27, 2006
  12. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Yes, the point of my post is to find out how to open the port/set up
    the forward.

    Boppy, Aug 27, 2006
  13. Boppy

    steve Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > I was having the exact same issue when I started using bittorrent. After
    > a bit of searching, I discovered what you need to do is configure your
    > router to forward connections for that port number to your computer. As
    > soon as I did this I started getting excellent download speeds.

    ....and if you have multiple computers, forward a different port to each one
    and configure the software on each machine to talk on the port you assigned
    to that machine.

    I have set 3 ranges on my router - each forwarded to a single IP address I
    have associated with a given range on one system.

    That way, several systems can use Bittorrent (or other P2P client) at the
    same time.....and then your problem will be contention for bandwidth
    between the systems if they are used for P2P at the same time.
    steve, Aug 27, 2006
  14. In article <>,
    says...
    > Subject: Re: Azureus port
    > From: Boppy <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > This is the screen that won't let me click Virtual Server:
    > http://i8.tinypic.com/25qt0d4.jpg

    Yes, presumably that is where you enter the IP address of the computer that is
    running the torrent application, and it's name on the network (the name may be
    irrelevant in fact). The router obviously needs to know which machine to
    forward the port to ...

    Right click on the network icon on your desktop, chose properties, and you will
    be able to retrieve the ip number your computer currently uses on the lan.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 27, 2006
  15. Boppy

    Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Yes, presumably that is where you enter the IP address of the computer that is
    > running the torrent application, and it's name on the network (the name may be
    > irrelevant in fact). The router obviously needs to know which machine to
    > forward the port to ...
    >
    > Right click on the network icon on your desktop, chose properties, and you will
    > be able to retrieve the ip number your computer currently uses on the lan.

    Hi again Boppy....What Peter H says is right. Setting up a static ip is
    one of the things that stumped me when I was getting into p2p but it
    has to be done.

    If you haven't already come across it, here's a link which might help
    you out...

    http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

    In my case, in Step 9 I called my computer 192.168.0.101 and then that
    was the static ip address I gave when configuring my router.

    HTH. If not can you tell us what your setup is e.g d-link router model
    and OS

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Aug 28, 2006
  16. Boppy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:27:53 -0700, Boppy wrote:

    > Yes, the point of my post is to find out how to open the port/set up
    > the forward.

    Get to the router via the web interface and look thru the menus. Keyword
    NAT and port forwarding.
    Gordon, Aug 28, 2006
  17. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:27:53 -0700, Boppy wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, the point of my post is to find out how to open the port/set up
    >> the forward.

    > Get to the router via the web interface and look thru the menus. Keyword
    > NAT and port forwarding.

    On one of my clients' ADSL routers, it's called "Virtual Server". Another
    term I've heard used is "pinholing".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2006
  18. Boppy

    Mad.Mutt Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > Thanks guys, this is really frustrating.
    >
    > I have followed all the portforward.com directions carefully and got
    > into the Dlink setup programme. It told me to click on advanced/virtual
    > server tabs, which I did. However, then I was told in a Javascript
    > application that I need to enter an IP address and password and it
    > flicks me straight back to the Lan Clients tab. I phoned Xtra and got a
    > guy who couldn't help because it shouldn't be doing that, so he told me
    > he had to transfer me to D-link but of course they are closed on the
    > weekend and won't be open apart from when I am at work and can't be in
    > front of the computer.
    >
    > I am now downloading uTorrent and hopefully won't have the same port
    > problems.

    Try using ADMIN as your password.

    uTorrent is great, but you MUST poke some sort of hole through the
    router for it to function well... port forwarding / virtual servers...
    whatever will work.

    I've been a tad naughty, and have assigned a very low port number, but
    am getting brilliant results (even seem to be beating the throttling of
    the data cap... he, he heeee - currently 18kB/s while supposed to be
    capped to 8kB/s - sweeeet!!!)
    Mad.Mutt, Aug 29, 2006