Azureus Figures.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heh! It would seem that, according to Azureus, I've just gone over the 100GB
    mark. It took 56 days. 66GB down and 34GB up. (All that money for extra data
    that Orcon isn't going to get anymore, there's $100+ right there).

    It'll be a bit slower on Actrix's "1GB a day then slowdown" plan but I can
    live with that. Especially if the P2P speed is a lot better, as reported
    here. I'll be able to manage my downloads better instead of having them run
    for days on end, while I watch the pool of seeders dwindle away.....Also
    I've caught up with a few series I'm downloading now so it shouldn't be
    *quite* so much. (yeah, right).

    I've checked my data throughput with four PCs connected to my gaming server
    and, even at 64 kb/s, (The speed the connection drops to after >1GB is
    downbloaded in 24 hours) it should be no problem. Around 5 kB/s up and 3
    down for all machines in the game. Therefore the slowdown is only going to
    be a minor inconvienience and at least I'll know how much to budget each
    week for the bill at the end of the month.

    I do find our ridiculously lop-sided ADSL connections to be a PITA when
    trying to maintain a reasonable up / down ratio with bittorent. I'm often
    running Azureus just seeding. (At least I won't be paying extra for that
    anymore). Also, I pick and choose the files I want to seed. Usually the ones
    that still have a few leechers but few, if any seeders. One file I have the
    same two people hook up to every time I start Azureus. It's going to take
    them a while to get it but they really seem to want it so I'll keep seeding
    it until they have it. Another 7.6GB file I have consistantly has 60+
    leechers and around 3 seeders. I guess I'll be seeding that one for a while
    too. If a file is well seeded I stop seeding it myself as it's available
    easilly elsewhere.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:58:52 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > If a file is well seeded I stop seeding it myself as it's available
    > easilly elsewhere.

    Your choice. The more important point is P2P is that you up load as much
    as you download. Or try to get close, otherwise one is a long term leecher
    and in the end it will kill P2P, as no one is giving.
    Gordon, Feb 3, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:58:52 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> If a file is well seeded I stop seeding it myself as it's available
    >> easilly elsewhere.

    > Your choice. The more important point is P2P is that you up load as
    > much as you download. Or try to get close, otherwise one is a long
    > term leecher and in the end it will kill P2P, as no one is giving.

    So you snipped the bit where I said I selectively seed. I try to keep
    torrents going that have few if any other seeders. The qualifier for the
    above statement that you didn't snip. It is my intention to achieve a ratio
    greater than 1:1, something I'll work on more as soon as I get off this
    poorly-supported Orcon pay-for-data plan. Also, I assume you realise how
    diificult that is when your ADSL is "A" to the ratio of 16:1 against
    uploads?

    Like I said, I have a very popular 7.6GB file, one I'm seeding now and have
    been all day (I'm not currently downloading). Acording to Azureus it has 2
    seeds and 61 leechers. I'm one of those seeds. So far I've uploaded 11.6GB
    of that file. I know my piddley-arsed little 128kb/s isn't going to make all
    that much difference but I'd rather seed a file like that, than one that has
    a couple hundred other people seeding it. I only have so much upload
    bandwidth and, as I chose what to download, I also chose what to upload. It
    took me ages to get that file and I watched the seeders drop off one by one
    over the couple weeks it took me to get it. I'm gonna try hard not to be one
    of those that drop off when someone might have 7.5GB of a 7.6GB file. If it
    means I'm seeding that one file for months on end, so be it. As long as
    there's demand I'll do my best to help meet it. It's the ratio that's
    important, not exactly which files you upload. In fact I think my approach
    is good for the long-term future of P2P. Some files are just too ephemeral
    and people like the poor buggers on Orcon connections can miss out on
    completing files if people treat the ratio as applying to a file-by-file
    basis.

    I note the IPs of the people who are close to completing it and it give me
    satisfaction to see them get to 99.9% and then disappear. However, like I
    said, it's a very popular file. Currently there are 12 people with less than
    5% connected to me. I could use all my available bandwidth seeding that one
    file for months and still not fill demand. New people keep hooking up all
    the time. I just wish that more of the folks who get it would keep seeding
    it, take the pressure off me a bit.

    I am a fan of P2P and I hope that one day Telecom will be forced into making
    it easier for us to keep a good ratio going. I am very well aware of the
    need to upload, but thanks for the reminder.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in news:pan.2006.02.03.05.42.14.356700
    @yahoo.com:

    > Your choice. The more important point is P2P is that you up load as much
    > as you download.

    That system kind of works better when you don't have to pay OVERAGES!
    I am all for shared bandwidth, but when my bandwidth costs me my money and
    you leech off of me, well, who is the leecher now? I am from north
    america, and the system I was used to was an all you can eat kind of thing.
    Here it is pay per meg. This requires a mental shift.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 3, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Heh! It would seem that, according to Azureus, I've just gone over the 100GB
    > mark. It took 56 days. 66GB down and 34GB up. (All that money for extra data
    > that Orcon isn't going to get anymore, there's $100+ right there).
    >
    > It'll be a bit slower on Actrix's "1GB a day then slowdown" plan but I can
    > live with that. Especially if the P2P speed is a lot better, as reported
    > here. I'll be able to manage my downloads better instead of having them run
    > for days on end, while I watch the pool of seeders dwindle away.....Also
    > I've caught up with a few series I'm downloading now so it shouldn't be
    > *quite* so much. (yeah, right).

    When did you change to actrix ? I've been out of the loop for a while
    ...... Is Actrix any better ?
    Chris Mayhew, Feb 3, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Heh! It would seem that, according to Azureus, I've just gone over
    >> the 100GB mark. It took 56 days. 66GB down and 34GB up. (All that
    >> money for extra data that Orcon isn't going to get anymore, there's
    >> $100+ right there). It'll be a bit slower on Actrix's "1GB a day then
    >> slowdown" plan but
    >> I can live with that. Especially if the P2P speed is a lot better,
    >> as reported here. I'll be able to manage my downloads better instead
    >> of having them run for days on end, while I watch the pool of
    >> seeders dwindle away.....Also I've caught up with a few series I'm
    >> downloading now so it shouldn't be *quite* so much. (yeah, right).
    >>

    > When did you change to actrix ? I've been out of the loop for a while
    > ..... Is Actrix any better ?

    I haven't actaully been switched over yet, put the order in the other day.
    I'd had enough of getting the run-around and being treated like a moron from
    Orcon's helldesk. I'll let you know how Actrix goes. It can't be any worse
    than Orcon and I hear good things about their 'desk. Theirs is actually a
    'helpdesk' instead of a 'helldesk'.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>Heh! It would seem that, according to Azureus, I've just gone over
    >>>the 100GB mark. It took 56 days. 66GB down and 34GB up. (All that
    >>>money for extra data that Orcon isn't going to get anymore, there's
    >>>$100+ right there). It'll be a bit slower on Actrix's "1GB a day then
    >>>slowdown" plan but
    >>>I can live with that. Especially if the P2P speed is a lot better,
    >>>as reported here. I'll be able to manage my downloads better instead
    >>>of having them run for days on end, while I watch the pool of
    >>>seeders dwindle away.....Also I've caught up with a few series I'm
    >>>downloading now so it shouldn't be *quite* so much. (yeah, right).
    >>>

    >>When did you change to actrix ? I've been out of the loop for a while
    >>..... Is Actrix any better ?

    > I haven't actaully been switched over yet, put the order in the other day.
    > I'd had enough of getting the run-around and being treated like a moron from
    > Orcon's helldesk. I'll let you know how Actrix goes. It can't be any worse
    > than Orcon and I hear good things about their 'desk. Theirs is actually a
    > 'helpdesk' instead of a 'helldesk'.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Good luck with that !
    Chris Mayhew, Feb 4, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Chris Mayhew wrote:

    >>> When did you change to actrix ? I've been out of the loop for a
    >>> while ..... Is Actrix any better ?

    >> I haven't actaully been switched over yet, put the order in the
    >> other day. I'd had enough of getting the run-around and being
    >> treated like a moron from Orcon's helldesk. I'll let you know how
    >> Actrix goes. It can't be any worse than Orcon and I hear good things
    >> about their 'desk. Theirs is actually a 'helpdesk' instead of a
    >> 'helldesk'. Cheers,

    > Good luck with that !

    Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I haven't actaully been switched over yet, put the order in the other day.
    > I'd had enough of getting the run-around and being treated like a moron from
    > Orcon's helldesk. I'll let you know how Actrix goes. It can't be any worse
    > than Orcon and I hear good things about their 'desk. Theirs is actually a
    > 'helpdesk' instead of a 'helldesk'.

    have you had the guy with the bad accent ask you to put there dns servers in on
    your computer to cure crap bandwidth yet?

    Good one orcon!
    Richard, Feb 5, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't actaully been switched over yet, put the order in the
    >> other day. I'd had enough of getting the run-around and being
    >> treated like a moron from Orcon's helldesk. I'll let you know how
    >> Actrix goes. It can't be any worse than Orcon and I hear good things
    >> about their 'desk. Theirs is actually a 'helpdesk' instead of a
    >> 'helldesk'.

    > have you had the guy with the bad accent ask you to put there dns
    > servers in on your computer to cure crap bandwidth yet?
    >
    > Good one orcon!

    LOL, No, That's one I haven't had.
    --
    ~misfit~