    torrent speeds go drastically slow.. but anyway maybe it will be useful
    for someone out there....

    I'd be interested to hear from anyone that tries it and sees a difference...
    Nova, Mar 20, 2006

  2. On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:33:12 +1200, Nova wrote:

    > Although I am on an ISP that does shaping, I've never really seen my
    > torrent speeds go drastically slow.. but anyway maybe it will be useful
    > for someone out there....
    >
    > I'd be interested to hear from anyone that tries it and sees a difference...

    I have tried it.

    I haven't notice any significant change.

    But then, not all BT clients are able to use encryption, and I have my
    client set to enable non-encrypted connections if encryption fails - and
    that would probably be sufficient for an ISP that is doing traffic shaping
    to spot what's happening.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    One Unix to rule them all,
    One Resolver to find them,
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > I just noticed this in Azereus, which could be helpful if you are on
    > an ISP that does traffic shaping..
    >
    > http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping
    >
    > That page explains the settings, but basically it sets up encryption
    > between for your torrent connections so layer7 shapers won't be able
    > to determine that you are using bittorrent.....
    >
    > Although I am on an ISP that does shaping, I've never really seen my
    > torrent speeds go drastically slow.. but anyway maybe it will be
    > useful for someone out there....
    >
    > I'd be interested to hear from anyone that tries it and sees a
    > difference...

    That would have been interesting to try when I was with Orcon. However my
    current ISP doesn't shape at all. (I ask everytime I talk to the helpdesk
    just in case they change it without notifying us, like they did with the
    midnight re-set). However, I believe encryption's a new feature? Only
    introduced with Azureus 2.4.x.x

    Interestingly, a torrent I downloaded today has, in the comments section:
    "For best results use a client that supports traffic encryption" and the
    originator of the torrent had Azureus 2.4.0.3_B1 listed as a client. Strange
    as my Azureus updated itself yesterday (I have it set to check every time I
    start it) and it's 2.4.0.2. Looks like the torrent originator was using a
    beta version.

    Looking at that page I wouldn't know what settings to use, or whether to
    bother. As I said, my ISP doesn't shape. I'd be interested to hear others
    thoughts.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2006