    If you are going to buy a SpeedTouch 716, wait for the new models at least.

    Regards

    Phil

    Philip, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Philip

    Rob T Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    news:42d57d4c$0$21967$...
    > Hi
    >
    > Just a warning to others looking at the SpeedTouch 716g with VoIP ports.
    > have had several lock up problems that a new firmware upgrade hasn't
    > fixed,
    > and it seems the 716g is being replaced already by a revised model
    > referred
    > to as 716v5 WL
    > (http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu2/products/viewanaccessproduct.php?id=4
    > 7), this will come with completely different setup pages and firmware that
    > may not be made available for the 716g models, essentially making the 716g
    > obsolete after just a couple of months!
    >
    > If you are going to buy a SpeedTouch 716, wait for the new models at
    > least.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Phil

    Hello,

    I think people would need to look at how many have been sold so far, and how
    many reported faults. So far there only seems to be yours, so that might
    lead me to think it is another component you have that is causing problems.

    Rob T, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Philip

    Philip Guest

    "Rob T" <> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > I think people would need to look at how many have been sold so far, and

    how
    > many reported faults. So far there only seems to be yours, so that might
    > lead me to think it is another component you have that is causing

    problems.

    First unit died after a few hours, second unit has lockups that are nothing
    to do with any other components I can assure you, the unit stops responding
    after around 15-18 days requiring a switch off, this unit replaces a
    SpeedTouch 530 that never stopped responding that had uptimes measured in
    hundreds of days!

    Problems (from others as well) and discussions about the 716g can be found
    at:

    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter&Number=1793225
    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter&Number=1925797

    If there isn't a problem with the 716g, why would SpeedTouch go to the
    trouble of, and advertise the new version by changing the model name to
    716v5 WL (standing for version 5 which is a completely new firmware and
    user interface).

    http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu2/products/viewanaccessproduct.php?id=47

    Just trying to save others some disappointment, I like the Speedtouch 716g
    but not happy at being left with an obsolete product that isn't reliable,
    and after only a few months of it being released.

    Regards

    Phil

    Philip, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Philip

    Ken_Fallon Guest

    I agree with Philip - avoid the Speedtouch 716g (I have the 716v5 WL)
    and the problems continue. Firstly the documentation does not
    correspond to the device. Take for example the setup of WiFi requires
    the user to press an button on the modem (photos are included) but the
    modem has no such button. http://www.fallon.ie/716/. This may be seen
    as a minor fault but things do not get any better.

    The CD had repeated problems finding the device despite successful
    continuous pings on both an Ethernet and USB interface. During each
    stage of the firmware update the program repeatedly failed at different
    stages. Eight hours later I finally got the firmware bant-t_AI.bin
    installed but update to did not help.

    I eventually managed to get the original firmware restored but the
    VCI/VPI settings were fixed and could not be changed - even from the
    Command Line Interface CLI. Meaning the modem no longer connects to the
    Internet.

    The second modem (which I did not update) also has the same connection
    problems and also is not able to connect. Both freeze after a time - I
    think this is linked to heat buildup.

    I sent two emails to Thompson a week ago and neither have been
    answered.

    So avoid the Speedtouch 716g and the Speedtouch 716v5

    --
    Ken_Fallon
    Ken_Fallon's Profile: http://www.wirelessforums.org/member.php?userid=1035

    Ken_Fallon, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Philip

    Me Guest

    >So avoid the Speedtouch 716g and the Speedtouch 716v5

    I, and my father both have the original 716g and in both cases, we are
    more than satisfied.

    Both work extremely well and have never locked up.

    I too have heard that the v5 is unreliable and that they were working
    on a v6

    Me

    Me, Sep 1, 2005