Avoid Giving Your "Master Key" to a Hacker

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bit Twister, Oct 31, 2010.

  1. Bit Twister

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:52:31 -0500, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are often told not to use the same password or a simple to guess
    > pass word at certain web sites.

    More like to not use the same password on more than one login.

    > I have not heard or read any warnings about using the same answer, "if you
    > forgot your password, answer this question". If you always use your mother's
    > maiden name, this can be considered a "master key" to a hacker.

    Yep, my mothers name is 57chevy, my school's mascot is George, my
    first car was sonytv,....

    > Note: Some web sites will send you your pass word via email, which is a
    > very good idea.

    Personally, I hate it. Requires me to keep yet another email account
    just for those types of activities.

    > I hope they all do.

    Heheheh, criminals already create exploits to go through your mail
    files. Be sure to keep those id/pw emails for the criminals.

    Bit Twister, Oct 31, 2010

  2. Bit Twister

    Guest

    Hi,

    We are often told not to use the same password or a simple to guess
    pass word at certain web sites.

    I have not heard or read any warnings about using the same answer, "if you
    forgot your password, answer this question". If you always use your mother's
    maiden name, this can be considered a "master key" to a hacker.

    Note: Some web sites will send you your pass word via email, which is a
    very good idea. I hope they all do.

    Your email address and password are the two basic requirements for anyone
    to access your "account". If the hacker knows your "master key", he/she
    might be able to use it to get your pass word.

    John

    , Oct 31, 2010

  3. Bit Twister

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:52:31 -0500, wrote:

    > Note: Some web sites will send you your pass word via email, which is a
    >very good idea.

    Actually, this is a very bad idea ! Such an email contains your
    password in plain text, for (almost) anyone to see.
    While proper password handling requires that a password is never
    transmitted in plain text. (Compare: for security reasons, your
    screen usually echoos * for any password character you type :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Nov 1, 2010
  4. snip

    >transmitted in plain text. (Compare: for security reasons, your
    >screen usually echoos * for any password character you type :)

    Immediately after receiving the password email go to the WEB site and
    change it.

    no_one@no_where.invalid, Nov 1, 2010
  5. On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:52:31 -0500, wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are often told not to use the same password or a simple to guess
    > pass word at certain web sites.
    >
    > I have not heard or read any warnings about using the same answer, "if you
    > forgot your password, answer this question". If you always use your mother's
    > maiden name, this can be considered a "master key" to a hacker.

    So?

    > Note: Some web sites will send you your pass word via email, which is a
    > very good idea. I hope they all do.

    Surely you jest.

    > Your email address and password are the two basic requirements for anyone
    > to access your "account". If the hacker knows your "master key", he/she
    > might be able to use it to get your pass word.
    >
    > John

    Life's shitty.
    --
    Talk about F-Cars - www.ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=89702