Avocado trees - anybody know about them?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Selby, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. John Selby

    John Selby Guest

    I'm looking for advice about growing an avocado tree in my home
    garden.

    We recently moved to Whakatane and don't have a lot of room in
    the garden, but we're keen to grow an avocado tree if it's
    practicable. We like avocados but don't like paying $1.00 each
    for them.

    Is there a variety which doesn't grow into a huge towering tree
    and is self fertile (we wouldn't have room to grow two)?

    I reckon we could stand something which won't get much bigger
    than about four metres high over, say, the next 25 years.

    Hoping there's someone here with the answers (I don't always
    trust the advice you get at garden centres - sometimes I think
    they just make things up, knowing that by the time you find out
    they're wrong, a year or two may have passed).

    Thanks, John S

    John Selby, Aug 10, 2003

  2. John Selby

    Ferg Guest

    A really interesting place to look for advice on growing things...

    Perhaps the least useful group possible...

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 10, 2003

  3. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:34:16 +1200, "Ferg"
    <> wrote:

    >A really interesting place to look for advice on growing things...
    >
    >Perhaps the least useful group possible...
    >
    >Ferg

    I think he thought this was nz.compost

    John Hornblow, Aug 10, 2003
  4. John Selby

    M Guest

    > I'm looking for advice about growing an avocado tree in my home
    > garden.

    Find an existing tree that grows well, and produces good fruit. Strike some
    cuttings from it ... keep the best one.

    M, Aug 10, 2003
  5. John Selby

    Jay Guest

    John Selby wrote:

    > I'm looking for advice about growing an avocado tree in my home
    > garden.
    >
    > We recently moved to Whakatane and don't have a lot of room in
    > the garden, but we're keen to grow an avocado tree if it's
    > practicable. We like avocados but don't like paying $1.00 each
    > for them.
    >
    > Is there a variety which doesn't grow into a huge towering tree
    > and is self fertile (we wouldn't have room to grow two)?
    >
    > I reckon we could stand something which won't get much bigger
    > than about four metres high over, say, the next 25 years.
    >
    > Hoping there's someone here with the answers (I don't always
    > trust the advice you get at garden centres - sometimes I think
    > they just make things up, knowing that by the time you find out
    > they're wrong, a year or two may have passed).

    And what has this got to do with computers?
    Why post such a question to nz.comp?
    Try nz.compost instead.

    Jay, Aug 11, 2003