    people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

    Cheers,

    Nick

    Nick Rennie, Oct 10, 2009

  2. Nick Rennie

    Crapats (TM) Guest

    On Oct 10, 4:12 pm, "Nick Rennie" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded shows on
    > the telley, but it looks like it might have died.  Just wondering what other
    > people are doing now?  Any new toys out there?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Nick

    I've been using my MVIX 760 for about 3 years now. It's served me well
    but has problems with new codecs and HD content. After having used
    divx/dvd players, mvixes and other harddrive based avi players I've
    decided the best thing to watch downloaded content is a PC. It might
    cost a little bit more but in the end you know it will play anything.

    Crapats (TM), Oct 10, 2009

  3. Nick Rennie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded
    > shows on the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just
    > wondering what other people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

    I've been putting them on a USB stick (or HDD) and using a Philips DVP
    3252/75 that I bought for under $100.

    I was so pleased with it that I bought a spare (when I heard that they were
    being discontimued) in case it ever breaks down. LOL, the spare is still in
    it's box in the wardrobe.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2009
  4. On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:12:45 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded shows on
    >the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just wondering what other
    >people are doing now? Any new toys out there?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Nick

    There's a newish Philips usb-equiped upscaling DVD player for <$120.
    There's a box which crops up on trademe
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=244764278 which seems
    interesting.
    There are satellite receivers on Trademe which purport to play avis
    via usb.

    Sorry to read of your ailing Mediagate .......... Cheers!

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Oct 10, 2009
  5. On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:43:20 +1300, Mutley
    <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded
    >>> shows on the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just
    >>> wondering what other people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

    >>I've been putting them on a USB stick (or HDD) and using a Philips DVP
    >>3252/75 that I bought for under $100.
    >>
    >>I was so pleased with it that I bought a spare (when I heard that they were
    >>being discontimued) in case it ever breaks down. LOL, the spare is still in
    >>it's box in the wardrobe.

    >You could try one of these ..
    >http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVAWDT0001
    >
    > Western Digital WDTV BOX HD Media Player Plays music videos Photo
    >Full HD video playback and navigation
    >
    >I'm still using my Popcornhour A100

    That WD box looks quite good, but I would not buy anything that lacks
    the ability to play from network drives and streaming sources.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 11, 2009
  6. Nick Rennie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutley wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded
    >>> shows on the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just
    >>> wondering what other people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

    >> I've been putting them on a USB stick (or HDD) and using a Philips
    >> DVP 3252/75 that I bought for under $100.
    >>
    >> I was so pleased with it that I bought a spare (when I heard that
    >> they were being discontimued) in case it ever breaks down. LOL, the
    >> spare is still in it's box in the wardrobe.

    > You could try one of these ..
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVAWDT0001
    >
    > Western Digital WDTV BOX HD Media Player Plays music videos Photo
    > Full HD video playback and navigation

    LOL, Full HD? As it is I have trouble reading anything on screen (subtitles,
    car race positions etc.) without spectacles and I just can't seem to find a
    comfort zone wearing them.

    Consequently I'm happy with VCR quality. It's good if it's widescreen
    though, makes for a bigger picture, I don't have to sit so close. <g>

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2009
  7. Nick Rennie

    Nick Rennie Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:43:20 +1300, Mutley
    >><> wrote:

    >>>You could try one of these ..
    >>>http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVAWDT0001
    >>>
    >>> Western Digital WDTV BOX HD Media Player Plays music videos Photo
    >>>Full HD video playback and navigation
    >>>
    >>>I'm still using my Popcornhour A100

    >>That WD box looks quite good, but I would not buy anything that lacks
    >>the ability to play from network drives and streaming sources.

    > That's why I am sticking with my current PCH until the new C200 gets
    > the bugs ironed out.
    >
    > http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

    Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?

    Cheers,

    Nick

    Nick Rennie, Oct 12, 2009
  8. On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:12:24 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <>
    wrote:

    >"Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >> Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >>>That WD box looks quite good, but I would not buy anything that lacks
    >>>the ability to play from network drives and streaming sources.

    >> That's why I am sticking with my current PCH until the new C200 gets
    >> the bugs ironed out.
    >>
    >> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
    >>

    >Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Nick

    A quick google would find umpteen NZ resellers.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 12, 2009
  9. Nick Rennie

    Mutlley Guest

    Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:12:24 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>> That's why I am sticking with my current PCH until the new C200 gets
    >>> the bugs ironed out.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
    >>>

    >>Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Nick

    >A quick google would find umpteen NZ resellers.

    Cheaper to buy from PCH direct..

    Mutlley, Oct 12, 2009
  10. Nick Rennie

    grum Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:12:24 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Nick

    >> A quick google would find umpteen NZ resellers.

    > Cheaper to buy from PCH direct..

    A few months ago I bought Egreat M34A (a Popcorn Hour clone) from
    Streamaster Australia (I'm in NZ). Very happy with both product and
    supplier. Only notable format ommision for me is flash, plays almost
    everything else I've tried. Craig at Streamaster is a top bloke, you'll
    find him in the Whirlpool forums.
    grum

    grum, Oct 14, 2009