    perfect. Cucusoft is a faster program for converting and I would rather use
    that one if anybody has any ideas of what the problem can be I would sure
    appreciate it. Thanks!

    meomy, May 16, 2006

  2. meomy

    Jim Burgan Guest

    Question about DVI vs HDMI inpots on HD TV's.

    I am wondering what exactly the difference is between DVI inputs and HDMI
    inputs.
    My knowledge indicates we first had component connections, with RGB cables
    (3 RCA jacks) to get full digital pass-thru to a HD TV.
    Then they came along with DVI, which is great.. 100% video pass thru, but no
    audio. No problem on the audio.. Most HD TV owners have component audio, so
    they don't care if they have to take a fiber optic cable from the HDDVD
    player to the Sound System. It works just fine but now we have to deal with
    HDMI, which passes through all HDTV formats, plus Dolby Digital and/or DTS
    audio over the same cable.
    I purchased an HP VP6320 HD DLP Projector, and a 10 foot screen than lowers
    down from the ceiling. It has the most incredible picture, delivering a
    perfect picture (depending on recorded contents) on a 480p and 720p... the
    1080i picture is still stunning on a standard definition DVD utilizing the
    HDMI jack on the back of the DVD player, and a conversion cable converting
    HDMI to DVI. No loss, and a perfect picture of nearly every film. Now I'm
    really psyched up for HDDVD and Blue Ray.
    I may head to Best Buy this weekend and pick up the HDDVD player. Blue Ray
    won't be around until some time in the fall.
    Are there any early adaptors of HD DVD that would care to share before I buy
    one this weekend?
    -Jim-

    Jim Burgan, May 24, 2006

  3. meomy

    Jay G. Guest

    Re: Question about DVI vs HDMI inpots on HD TV's.

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 02:08:13 -0400, Jim Burgan wrote:

    > I am wondering what exactly the difference is between DVI inputs and HDMI
    > inputs.
    > My knowledge indicates we first had component connections, with RGB cables
    > (3 RCA jacks) to get full digital pass-thru to a HD TV.

    Actually, component is an analog pass-thru.

    > Then they came along with DVI, which is great.. 100% video pass thru, but no
    > audio..... It works just fine but now we have to deal with
    > HDMI, which passes through all HDTV formats, plus Dolby Digital and/or DTS
    > audio over the same cable.

    You pretty much answered your own question. HDMI sends the same video
    signal as DVI, but with the addition of digital audio.

    from
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm
    "DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise.
    The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video,
    and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding
    scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI
    monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening
    converter box"

    -Jay

    Jay G., May 24, 2006
  4. meomy

    Mutley Guest

    "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 May 2006 02:08:13 -0400, Jim Burgan wrote:
    >
    >> I am wondering what exactly the difference is between DVI inputs and HDMI
    >> inputs.
    >> My knowledge indicates we first had component connections, with RGB cables
    >> (3 RCA jacks) to get full digital pass-thru to a HD TV.

    >Actually, component is an analog pass-thru.
    >
    >> Then they came along with DVI, which is great.. 100% video pass thru, but no
    >> audio..... It works just fine but now we have to deal with
    >> HDMI, which passes through all HDTV formats, plus Dolby Digital and/or DTS
    >> audio over the same cable.

    >You pretty much answered your own question. HDMI sends the same video
    >signal as DVI, but with the addition of digital audio.
    >
    >from
    >http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm
    > "DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise.
    > The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video,
    > and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding
    > scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI
    > monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening
    > converter box"
    >
    >-Jay

    Just as a matter of interest. can you daisy chain HDMI inputs
    together if you have more than one device with HDMI outputs and only
    one input on your TV or projector or is there a HDMI hub around??

    Mutley, May 25, 2006
  5. meomy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > Just as a matter of interest. can you daisy chain HDMI inputs
    > together if you have more than one device with HDMI outputs and only
    > one input on your TV or projector or is there a HDMI hub around??

    HDMI switchers are available, but tend to be expensive.

    Joshua Zyber, May 25, 2006
  6. meomy

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Re: Question about DVI vs HDMI inpots on HD TV's.

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 18:56:47 +1200, Mutley
    <> Gave us:

    >"Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 24 May 2006 02:08:13 -0400, Jim Burgan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am wondering what exactly the difference is between DVI inputs and HDMI
    >>> inputs.
    >>> My knowledge indicates we first had component connections, with RGB cables
    >>> (3 RCA jacks) to get full digital pass-thru to a HD TV.

    >>Actually, component is an analog pass-thru.
    >>
    >>> Then they came along with DVI, which is great.. 100% video pass thru, but no
    >>> audio..... It works just fine but now we have to deal with
    >>> HDMI, which passes through all HDTV formats, plus Dolby Digital and/or DTS
    >>> audio over the same cable.

    >>You pretty much answered your own question. HDMI sends the same video
    >>signal as DVI, but with the addition of digital audio.
    >>
    >>from
    >>http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm
    >> "DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise.
    >> The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video,
    >> and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding
    >> scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI
    >> monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening
    >> converter box"
    >>
    >>-Jay

    >Just as a matter of interest. can you daisy chain HDMI inputs
    >together if you have more than one device with HDMI outputs and only
    >one input on your TV or projector or is there a HDMI hub around??

    You would need an HDMI A - B Switch. You can't just shove multiple
    signals through the same wires.

    Roy L. Fuchs, May 27, 2006