    know what I have to do!!!! Ok, so I'm stoopid, hey, what the heck!! xxx
    Many thanks to all you lovely people out there that give meaning to my life.
    xxxx
    jennyjh18, Jun 24, 2005

  2. jennyjh18

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:57:41 +0100 As Andoids Dreamed Of Electric
    Sheep and then "jennyjh18" <> wrote :

    >Hi, newbie to DVD recording would like to know: I have an avi file and
    >would like to converet/play this on my DVD player, please, please let me
    >know what I have to do!!!! Ok, so I'm stoopid, hey, what the heck!! xxx
    >Many thanks to all you lovely people out there that give meaning to my life.
    >xxxx

    Do you mean a domestic DVD player or a PC one?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Jun 24, 2005

  3. jennyjh18

    jennyjh18 Guest

    Hi, to a domestic player foremost. xxx

    jennyjh18, Jun 24, 2005
  4. jennyjh18

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:11:22 +0100 As Andoids Dreamed Of Electric
    Sheep and then "jennyjh18" <> wrote :

    >Hi, to a domestic player foremost. xxx

    Check the specs on your Domestic.Most can play the VCD/SVCD format.
    This program can also convert to the standard .Vob files that DVDs
    use,
    http://www.alloksoft.com/vc.htm

    The free version is limited but lets you try it out to see if you like
    it,
    The joiner version is just as good,
    http://www.alloksoft.com/joiner.htm
    and lets you join and covert or just convert so it's a better deal
    IMHO :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Jun 24, 2005
  5. jennyjh18

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    There are many programs that can do that. I use Nero (best software for this
    purpose, but it costs about 60 US$). Anyway, since I get AVI movies etc.
    (various MPEG formats). I was fed up with time-consuming ripping, encoding,
    recoding... and purchase a Taiwanese made DVD Player that can read and play
    all these formats. The price was just 80 US$ (well I bought it in Japan
    since I live here). There are many of these gadgets available in most
    advanced countries. The picture quality of a DivX (MPEG4) file is not
    noticeable to my eye (approx. 700 MB vs. 4.5 GB+ of a DVD). Last not least,
    you can get 5 to 6 full movies on a single DVD. Blank DVDs cost me approx.
    25US$ when buying a drum of 100! Your Multi Format DVD Player will pay by
    itself in short time...

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 24, 2005
  6. jennyjh18

    gangle Guest

    "jennyjh18" wrote
    > Hi, newbie to DVD recording would like to know: I have an avi file and
    > would like to converet/play this on my DVD player, please, please let me
    > know what I have to do!!!! Ok, so I'm stoopid, hey, what the heck!! xxx
    > Many thanks to all you lovely people out there that give meaning to my life.
    > xxxx

    Read and learn. Do NOT expect to do this with NO UNDERSTANDING!
    Any one software that claims to do this for you in a few clicks
    is likely not work well in all situations.

    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/avi2dvdr.htm
    gangle, Jun 24, 2005
  7. "jennyjh18" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, newbie to DVD recording would like to know: I have an avi file and
    > would like to converet/play this on my DVD player, please, please let me
    > know what I have to do!!!! Ok, so I'm stoopid, hey, what the heck!! xxx
    > Many thanks to all you lovely people out there that give meaning to my
    > life. xxxx

    Your best bet is to buy a standalone dvd player such as the Phillips dvp642,
    which plays
    divx/.xvid .avi files (and pretty well everything else too)
    Check Radio Shack or Walmart, they're cheap (under $100).

    http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html

    Just burn your .avi's as data on a cd or dvd.

    The Phillips stand alone player will play them (very nicely).

    Saves you hours of converting/encoding, pulling your hair out etc...
    WorkingClassHero, Jun 24, 2005
  8. jennyjh18

    Kenny Guest

    I agree re: buying a player which supports DivX, I've recently bought a
    cheap Yamada which plays most anything.
    If you want to convert AVI's/DivX's to DVD then try DVD Santa, very easy to
    use. Trial version here:
    http://www.mp3towav.org/dvdSanta/

    --

    Kenny Cargill