    What exactly I need to do (step by step, I am a newbie).

    What are the best softwares to do it.

    Many thanks

    Laura25, Nov 24, 2005

  2. Laura25

    Biz Guest

    VOB's are mpegs(1 and/or 2) authored into the VOB container. Convert all
    clips to mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 depnding on the source clip..There are only a few
    allowed resolutions for mpeg 1/2 if you want to make DVD compliant mpegs...
    Convert the audio for the clips to 48khz, and one of the allowable audio
    formats(usually LPCM, or AC-3). you can read about what is allowed in the
    DVD FAQ...

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.6

    Now author these clips using DVD authoring software. A few pieces of
    software work better than all-in-one packages. you can read all about it at
    these sites...

    www.videohelp.com
    www.doom9.org

    Biz, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Laura25

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:37:58 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >There are only a few
    >allowed resolutions for mpeg 1/2 if you want to make DVD compliant mpegs...
    >Convert the audio for the clips to 48khz, and one of the allowable audio
    >formats(usually LPCM, or AC-3).

    Why won't DVD clips which comply with the above specifications not
    play in my DVD players? I see the video but there is no audio. Yet
    they play fine in WinDVD and Windows Media Player.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary

    Bob, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Laura25

    Atropos Guest

    "Laura25" <> wrote in message
    >I wish to convert an Avi and /or a Mpeg file to a .VOB file (so I can read
    >it with my regular DVD player).
    >
    > What exactly I need to do (step by step, I am a newbie).
    >
    > What are the best softwares to do it.
    >
    > Many thanks

    Get the old version of VSO DivxtoDVD. Will convert to DVD Format ready to
    burn to a DVDR

    Atropos, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Laura25 wrote:

    > I wish to convert an Avi and /or a Mpeg file to a .VOB file (so I can read
    > it with my regular DVD player).
    >
    > What exactly I need to do (step by step, I am a newbie).
    >
    > What are the best softwares to do it.
    >
    > Many thanks

    Check out videohelp.com (formerly dvdrhelp.com and prior to that
    vcdhelp.com), they have been around for years and host tons of
    walkthroughs on this (you want to learn about dvd authoring). They also
    have a list of tools which can probably automate a lot of this for you.

    Nicholas Andrade, Nov 25, 2005
  6. Laura25

    Jeff Guest

    Re: Avi or Mpeg to VOB, how do I do it ?

    Specifically, you're looking for version 0.5.2.99. It is the last free
    version of the software. It can be downloaded from:

    http://fastdownload.softonic.de/ourfiles_de/windows/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_0.52.99.exe

    Another good free All-In-One tool is D.I.K.O. It's homepage is
    http://www.vmesquita.com/en/index.htm

    DivXtoDVD is faster than DIKO, but it is beta, so may have problems.
    The only issue I've noted is an occasional Integer Overflow error that
    crashes it, but this doesn't happen very often. I've gotten this only
    very
    early in the conversion process and just closed the program and started
    over.

    Jeff, Nov 26, 2005
  7. Laura25

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 05:59:54 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    <> wrote:

    >> I wish to convert an Avi and /or a Mpeg file to a .VOB file (so I can read
    >> it with my regular DVD player).

    >> What exactly I need to do (step by step, I am a newbie).

    >> What are the best softwares to do it.

    >Check out videohelp.com (formerly dvdrhelp.com and prior to that
    >vcdhelp.com), they have been around for years and host tons of
    >walkthroughs on this (you want to learn about dvd authoring). They also
    >have a list of tools which can probably automate a lot of this for you.

    VSO DivxToDVD claims to be able to convert Avi and Mpeg files to DVD
    files and will even burn them for you.

    However when I used it to import from a DVD disc it was slow - said it
    would take 2 hours. The DVD was nothing special - it takes Shrink only
    10 minutes to import from it.

    Anyone know why DivxToDVD is so slow?

    Bob, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Laura25

    Atropos Guest

    > VSO DivxToDVD claims to be able to convert Avi and Mpeg files to DVD
    > files and will even burn them for you.

    Which the new version does perfectly.

    > However when I used it to import from a DVD disc it was slow - said it
    > would take 2 hours. The DVD was nothing special - it takes Shrink only
    > 10 minutes to import from it.

    Why were you using DivxtoDVD to import FROM a DVD? Odd.

    > Anyone know why DivxToDVD is so slow?

    It isn't - when it does the job it's meant to. I converted 1.6gb avi to DVD
    in an hour, including the burn. I don't call that slow.

    Atropos, Nov 27, 2005
  9. In message <dmd225$72g$2surf.net>, Atropos
    <> writes
    >> Anyone know why DivxToDVD is so slow?
    >>

    >It isn't - when it does the job it's meant to. I converted 1.6gb avi to
    >DVD in an hour, including the burn. I don't call that slow.

    Don't you lose quality doing that? Wouldn't it be better to just get a
    DVD player that plays avi direct?

    (I don't know so I'm asking)

    --
    dave @ stejonda

    Beyond the farmyard the wind in the trees.

    dave @ stejonda, Nov 27, 2005
  10. Laura25

    Biz Guest

    "dave @ stejonda" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In message <dmd225$72g$2surf.net>, Atropos
    > <> writes
    > >> Anyone know why DivxToDVD is so slow?
    > >>

    > >It isn't - when it does the job it's meant to. I converted 1.6gb avi to
    > >DVD in an hour, including the burn. I don't call that slow.

    > Don't you lose quality doing that? Wouldn't it be better to just get a
    > DVD player that plays avi direct?

    You also lost quality by just converting it to a DivX/XviD avi in the 1st
    place, so does it really matter? Most of teh divx capable players on the
    market are pretty crappy dvd players, so many prefer to use a good DVD
    player instead of a poor divx/xvid capable machine. Chances are if done
    right you'll see little to no more quality loss converting th avi to dvd
    spec mpeg...altough yes it is lowering the quality as well. Bottom line if
    you are worried about the quality in the 1st place, you'll buy or rent the
    DVD's instead of downloading overly compressed bootlegs....

    Biz, Nov 28, 2005
  11. Laura25

    Atropos Guest

    "dave @ stejonda" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In message <dmd225$72g$2surf.net>, Atropos
    > <> writes
    >>> Anyone know why DivxToDVD is so slow?
    >>>

    >>It isn't - when it does the job it's meant to. I converted 1.6gb avi to
    >>DVD in an hour, including the burn. I don't call that slow.

    > Don't you lose quality doing that? Wouldn't it be better to just get a DVD
    > player that plays avi direct?

    No, quality is lost going from DVD to Avi. Going back UP isn't going to
    jeopardise it. Avi (Divx) is a compressed format. DVD isn't.

    I don't have a divx player - so going to a compatible DVD is far
    easier....also doesn't restrict me when I want to watch it on a different
    standalone DVD player.

    Atropos, Nov 28, 2005
  12. Laura25

    Bill's News Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "dave @ stejonda" <> wrote
    > in
    > message news:...
    >> In message <dmd225$72g$2surf.net>, Atropos
    >> <> writes
    >>>>
    >>> It isn't - when it does the job it's meant to. I converted 1.6gb
    >>> avi to DVD in an hour, including the burn. I don't call that slow.

    >> Don't you lose quality doing that? Wouldn't it be better to just
    >> get
    >> a DVD player that plays avi direct?

    > You also lost quality by just converting it to a DivX/XviD avi in
    > the
    > 1st place, so does it really matter? Most of teh divx capable
    > players on the market are pretty crappy dvd players, so many prefer
    > to use a good DVD player instead of a poor divx/xvid capable
    > machine.
    > Chances are if done right you'll see little to no more quality loss
    > converting th avi to dvd spec mpeg...altough yes it is lowering the
    > quality as well. Bottom line if you are worried about the quality
    > in
    > the 1st place, you'll buy or rent the DVD's instead of downloading
    > overly compressed bootlegs....

    To further one responder's suggestion of using Divx capable players,
    I'm looking into the Buffalo wireless Xvid capable player
    (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=96&categoryid=18)
    and seeking owner opinions. I've read some negatives and just sent
    off this email to their tech support:

    "I'm ready to order the media player and probably a terrabyte as well.
    A few Amazon.com customers have had slightly negative comments
    regarding their purchase of your products and I'm wondering if you
    have addressed any of these issues?

    1. FFwd/Rew of non-DVD files (a/v sync issue and remote function lock
    after use)
    2. Time based repositioning
    3. Proper play of high bit rate (in my case 12 mbps) MPEG2 files
    4. FAT32 (and apparently a 30 g, 2 partition limit implementation) vs.
    NTFS via the USB2 attachment of external drive
    5. NTFS pre-formatting of terrabyte
    6. Proper implementation of remote DVD controls, for example switching
    sub-titles
    7. Not mentioned among complaints but I'll ask, does the player handle
    subtitles for Divx and/or Xvid playback in separate text files (SRO,
    for example)"

    If this is a viable product, I can/will eliminate the burn step I
    presently use to play captured TV. My DVD player is Divx & MPEG2
    capable, so I do not need to convert these to DVD format.

    To head off irrelevant replies (ha ha ha, fat chance, eh?) I might
    mention that I have an HDTV recorder from the cable supplier. At 80
    gig tho the HDD barely holds 6 hours, so any non-HDTV capture is done
    on the PC in analog. Let's face it, no one really wants to watch TV
    WHEN it is broadcast, nor every day for that matter. So long-term
    time deferred recording is essential.

    Bill's News, Nov 28, 2005
  13. Laura25

    Biz Guest

    "Atropos" <> wrote in message
    > No, quality is lost going from DVD to Avi. Going back UP isn't going to
    > jeopardise it. Avi (Divx) is a compressed format. DVD isn't.

    All DVD-V disks contain either mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 video, it is most
    definitely a compressed format...FYI so you dont post that falsehood again
    in the future

    Biz, Nov 28, 2005
  14. Laura25

    Atropos Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Atropos" <> wrote in message
    >> No, quality is lost going from DVD to Avi. Going back UP isn't going to
    >> jeopardise it. Avi (Divx) is a compressed format. DVD isn't.

    > All DVD-V disks contain either mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 video, it is most
    > definitely a compressed format...FYI so you dont post that falsehood again
    > in the future

    Okay, but please remove the bug from your ass. You know what I meant.

    Atropos, Nov 29, 2005
  15. Laura25

    Biz Guest

    "Atropos" <> wrote in message

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Atropos" <> wrote in message
    > >> No, quality is lost going from DVD to Avi. Going back UP isn't going to
    > >> jeopardise it. Avi (Divx) is a compressed format. DVD isn't.

    How else are we supposed to get what you mean from the above statement? If
    you mean something different, write it next time...

    Biz, Nov 29, 2005
  16. Laura25

    Atropos Guest

    > How else are we supposed to get what you mean from the above statement?
    > If
    > you mean something different, write it next time...

    We=you. You know perfectly well that Divx is a much higher compressed video
    than Mpeg2. Therefore what I said in that going from DivxtoDVD would make no
    difference was true.

    Okay I fucked up on the compression thing, call it a bad day, but I don't
    need smart arse little twats like you jumping on it like I'd uttered a
    curse.

    Let's hope you never **** up or it'll be the end of the world.

    Atropos, Nov 30, 2005
  17. Laura25

    Daisy Guest

    Re: Avi or Mpeg to VOB, how do I do it ?

    Have you ever tried with WinAVI Video Converter? It is pertty good to
    do the conversions though it is not free.
    http://www.winavi.com/avi-to-dvd.htm

    Daisy, Dec 2, 2005
  18. Laura25

    Laura25 Guest

    Re: Avi or Mpeg to VOB, how do I do it ?

    Thanks for this straight and very helpful solution !

    Laura25, Dec 3, 2005
  19. Re: Avi or Mpeg to VOB, how do I do it ?

    "Laura25" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for this straight and very helpful solution !
    >

    > "Daisy" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> Have you ever tried with WinAVI Video Converter? It is pertty good to
    >> do the conversions though it is not free.
    >> http://www.winavi.com/avi-to-dvd.htm

    And thank you for your top posting useless unfunny reply

    graham Shiller, Dec 3, 2005
  20. Laura25

    Darkknight Guest

    Atropos wrote:

    >>VSO DivxToDVD claims to be able to convert Avi and Mpeg files to DVD
    >>files and will even burn them for you.
    >>

    > Which the new version does perfectly.
    >

    >>However when I used it to import from a DVD disc it was slow - said it
    >>would take 2 hours. The DVD was nothing special - it takes Shrink only
    >>10 minutes to import from it.
    >>

    > Why were you using DivxtoDVD to import FROM a DVD? Odd.
    >

    >>Anyone know why DivxToDVD is so slow?
    >>

    > It isn't - when it does the job it's meant to. I converted 1.6gb avi to DVD
    > in an hour, including the burn. I don't call that slow.

    try copying your dvd to hard drive first before trying to convert

    Darkknight, Dec 4, 2005