avi files and common video/audio files - AGAIN

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by aniramca@yahoo.com, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    My questions are:
    - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    on most computer, dont' you?
    - What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    Thanks for the info.
    , Mar 11, 2007