avi files and common video/audio files - AGAIN

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by aniramca@yahoo.com, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    My questions are:
    - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    on most computer, dont' you?
    - What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    Thanks for the info.

    , Mar 11, 2007

  2. On 11 Mar 2007 14:08:22 -0700, wrote:

    >This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    >another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    >avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    >and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    >out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    >different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    >a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    >confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    >version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    >My questions are:
    >- How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    >of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    >on most computer, dont' you?
    >- What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    >basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    >I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    >version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    >Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?

    AVI is just a container. It can hold many different types of
    content.

    MPEG4 is just one of the possibilities. You need to determine the
    exact contants of an AVI file to know how to deal with it.

    GSpot - available from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ will help
    you to discover just what is in an AVI file.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    >another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    >avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    >and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    >out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    >different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    >a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    >confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    >version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    >My questions are:
    >- How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    >of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    >on most computer, dont' you?
    >- What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    >basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    >I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    >version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    >Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    >Thanks for the info.

    Why do you need to post the same article three times ? It won't help you
    to get a response more quickly.

    AVI is nothing more than a container for any type of data. Think of it
    being like an envelope which can contain a letter, a cheque, a birthday
    card - the envelope is an envelope, and it can contain anything.

    To find out what an AVI contains use Gspot, available from here:
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

    AVIs identify what type of data is within the file,using something
    called a "FourC" code - which identifies what codec was used to produce
    the AVI.

    Gspot tells you which codec (or codec type) was used to produce it, and
    it tells you if you have an appropriate codec on your machine. If you
    don't have the particular codec (or codec type) a Google search should
    locate it (or an alternative codec) and allow you to download and
    install.

    --
    Tony Morgan

    Tony Morgan, Mar 11, 2007
  4. Stuart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    > another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    > avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    > and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    > out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    > different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    > a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    > confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    > version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    > My questions are:
    > - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    > of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    > on most computer, dont' you?
    > - What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    > basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    > I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    > version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    > Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    > Thanks for the info.

    AVI is not a file format like mp3 or .xls but rather a container.
    Having said that it sounds like you haven't all of the various codecs
    installed on your computer. To do this go to
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm and download
    and install "K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.67" this will update everything. You
    might also consider installing Windows Media Player version 11.

    Stuart, Mar 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Mar 11, 4:48 pm, Tony Morgan <> wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > writes
    >

    > >This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    > >another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    > >avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    > >and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    > >out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    > >different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    > >a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    > >confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    > >version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    > >My questions are:
    > >- How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    > >of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    > >on most computer, dont' you?
    > >- What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    > >basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    > >I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    > >version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    > >Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    > >Thanks for the info.

    > Why do you need to post the same article three times ? It won't help you
    > to get a response more quickly.
    >
    > AVI is nothing more than a container for any type of data. Think of it
    > being like an envelope which can contain a letter, a cheque, a birthday
    > card - the envelope is an envelope, and it can contain anything.
    >
    > To find out what an AVI contains use Gspot, available from here:http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
    >
    > AVIs identify what type of data is within the file,using something
    > called a "FourC" code - which identifies what codec was used to produce
    > the AVI.
    >
    > Gspot tells you which codec (or codec type) was used to produce it, and
    > it tells you if you have an appropriate codec on your machine. If you
    > don't have the particular codec (or codec type) a Google search should
    > locate it (or an alternative codec) and allow you to download and
    > install.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Morgan

    Sorry... perhaps I was too impatient!. I did not know that it was
    shown three times. I must have clicked "posted" again as the system
    was too slow.
    Thanks for the info

    Is there a common, basic codec that most players ( winamp, WMP, etc)
    can open and play? Why should there be lots of different codec that
    you have to download? Is this like printing document, in which there
    are many print drivers in the print option?

    What about an . mpg file... is it also like an "envelope", similar to
    avi?

    Thanks for info

    , Mar 11, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Mar 11, 6:19 pm, "Stuart" <stuart€@whodunnit8.com> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    > > another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    > > avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    > > and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    > > out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    > > different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    > > a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    > > confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    > > version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    > > My questions are:
    > > - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    > > of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    > > on most computer, dont' you?
    > > - What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    > > basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    > > I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    > > version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    > > Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    > > Thanks for the info.

    > AVI is not a file format like mp3 or .xls but rather a container.
    > Having said that it sounds like you haven't all of the various codecs
    > installed on your computer. To do this go tohttp://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htmand download
    > and install "K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.67" this will update everything. You
    > might also consider installing Windows Media Player version 11.

    Thanks for info.
    Why should I install a WMP v.11? My WMP came with my Windows ME when
    I bought it 6 years ago. That's the other question that I asked,
    whether there is a basic video/audio file that can be excepted in any
    version of computer O/S. Can an . mpg file be opened in any WMP
    regarless of its version?
    Then the question is how to convert this avi file to that simple,
    basic video/audio file.

    , Mar 11, 2007
  7. Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    Snipped....

    >What about an . mpg file... is it also like an "envelope", similar to
    >avi?

    No. But there are different types of Mpegs; MPG1 and MPG2. And to
    complicate matters a little more there are two "sub-types" of MPG2s,
    Type I and Type 2. In practical terms, the filesize of a MPG2 Type 1 is
    limited to a max of 2GB, whereas the Type 2 has no restriction on
    filesize. Fortunately, you rarely come across Type 1 MPG2s these days;
    he only time you'll likely encounter one is in the output of Microsoft
    Movie Maker 2. There is also MP4, which again you don't seem to see a
    lot of, except in the output of one or two camcorders in recent years.

    Having said all that, virtually all file types have a header and a
    footer, but that is the nature of most files on all operating systems
    and all types of applications. The header allows an application to
    determine if it is a valid type for the particular filename extension.
    The footer commonly includes something called CRC (cyclic reduncancy
    check) which permits programs to check to see if there is any lost data
    or corruption within the data part of the file. So, for instance a .DOC
    filename extension will be recognised by Windows as a Microsoft Word
    document, and when Word comes to open the file, it will check the CRC to
    see if the file is damaged. The same with GIF and JPG files.

    As you are probably aware, Windows looks at the filename extension to
    see which application (program) to use in opening that file, but you can
    alter that yourself - for example if you have two or three graphics
    programs and you want Windows to use one program rather than another for
    that file type.

    --
    Tony Morgan

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007
  8. G Hardy Guest

    "Tony Morgan" wrote in message news:...

    > AVI is nothing more than a container for any type of data. Think of it
    > being like an envelope which can contain a letter, a cheque, a birthday
    > card - the envelope is an envelope, and it can contain anything.

    Further to what Tony and others have written; the idea of a "container"
    happens more than you think. WAV, MOV and (to a lesser extent) WMA and WMV
    all rely on system-installed codecs. It's a clever system really, not a mess
    (as the OP thinks), because you don't need to install a new application
    whenever someone develops a new compression scheme.

    Even the use of XLS is a bad example (from the OP's PoV) because there are
    compatibility issues between files saved with different versions of Office.

    G Hardy, Mar 12, 2007
  9. <> wrote ...
    > Why should I install a WMP v.11? My WMP came with
    > my Windows ME when I bought it 6 years ago.

    Do you think that development of better forms of
    compression stopped 6 years ago when you bought
    your computer? Are you really that out of touch with
    reality? There likely isn't ANY codec that hasn't been
    improved in the last 6 years.

    > That's the other question that I asked, whether there is a
    > basic video/audio file that can be excepted in any version
    > of computer O/S.

    Likely the most common form of video that nearly everyone
    has ability to play is Macromedia/Adobe Flash. The Flash
    player comes embedded in most everyone's internet browser
    application (Microsoft's Internet Explorer, etc.) Of course,
    people who haven't done any upgrades for 6 years may not
    be able to play files that are made today.

    > Can an . mpg file be opened in any WMP regarless of its version?

    Unlikely by people who don't upgrade their software for
    6 years.

    > Then the question is how to convert this avi file to that
    > simple, basic video/audio file.

    The world is more complex and advanced than you seem
    to imagine.

    Richard Crowley, Mar 12, 2007
  10. G Hardy Guest

    > In message <>,
    > writes
    > Snipped....
    >
    >>What about an . mpg file... is it also like an "envelope", similar to
    >>avi?

    > No. But there are different types of Mpegs; MPG1 and MPG2.

    MPEG-2 requires a paid license, so you won't be able to play MPG files
    encoded with MPEG-2 on a relatively fresh windows installation. If you pay
    for a codec such as the one you can get from MainConcept, or you install a
    DVD playback program such as Cyberlink PowerDVD, so MPG is a "container",
    viewed from that perspective...

    G Hardy, Mar 12, 2007
  11. Stuart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Mar 11, 6:19 pm, "Stuart" <stuart?@whodunnit8.com> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    > > another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    > > avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    > > and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    > > out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    > > different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    > > a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    > > confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    > > version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    > > My questions are:
    > > - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    > > of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    > > on most computer, dont' you?
    > > - What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    > > basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    > > I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    > > version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    > > Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    > > Thanks for the info.

    > AVI is not a file format like mp3 or .xls but rather a container.
    > Having said that it sounds like you haven't all of the various codecs
    > installed on your computer. To do this go
    > tohttp://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htmand
    > download
    > and install "K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.67" this will update everything. You
    > might also consider installing Windows Media Player version 11.

    Thanks for info.
    Why should I install a WMP v.11? My WMP came with my Windows ME when
    I bought it 6 years ago. That's the other question that I asked,
    whether there is a basic video/audio file that can be excepted in any
    version of computer O/S. Can an . mpg file be opened in any WMP
    regarless of its version?
    Then the question is how to convert this avi file to that simple,
    basic video/audio file.

    Sorry I didn't notice you were still on Windows ME - that version of Windows
    was probably the worst version for handling media files - and no don't
    update to WMP v11 as ME would have a heart attack!!!! But you do need to
    update your codecs on a regular basis as it is an area of constant
    development. I would suggest if you can and your computer is capable of
    updating to Windows XP with SP2 included. Stay away from Vista for at least
    12 months until the dust settles! But you will find if you stick with
    Windows ME (Microsoft no longer support ME) that more and more media files
    simply won't work on that system. Anyway in the meantime keep what you can
    updated, computers by their very nature are not "buy and forget" devices
    like domestic pets they have an overhead.... Good luck

    Stuart, Mar 12, 2007
  12. G Hardy Guest

    > > - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    > > of computers?

    If you encode your file using the Cinepac codec, it will play on most PCs -
    but as Richard said, video compression has come on in leaps and bounds since
    you installed WinME. If your viewer is as out-of-touch as you are, then fair
    enough; but it's more likely that your viewer will benefit from a newer
    codec.

    G Hardy, Mar 12, 2007
  13. Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:
    > This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
    > another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
    > avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
    > and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
    > out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
    > different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
    > a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
    > confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
    > version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
    > My questions are:
    > - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    > of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
    > on most computer, dont' you?
    > - What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
    > basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
    > I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
    > version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
    > Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
    > Thanks for the info.

    I am guessing that AVI file is in DIVX format, meaning you need to
    add that codec.

    Robert Baer, Mar 12, 2007
  14. On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:48:30 +0000, Tony Morgan <>
    wrote:

    >AVI is nothing more than a container for any type of data. Think of it
    >being like an envelope which can contain a letter, a cheque, a birthday
    >card - the envelope is an envelope, and it can contain anything.
    >
    >To find out what an AVI contains use Gspot, available from here:
    >http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
    >
    >AVIs identify what type of data is within the file,using something
    >called a "FourC" code - which identifies what codec was used to produce
    >the AVI.
    >
    >Gspot tells you which codec (or codec type) was used to produce it, and
    >it tells you if you have an appropriate codec on your machine. If you
    >don't have the particular codec (or codec type) a Google search should
    >locate it (or an alternative codec) and allow you to download and
    >install.

    Yeah, very erudite. But that wasn't the question. He doesn't want to
    know how to play a given avi, he wants to know how to create one with
    maximum compatibility.

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  15. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:10:27 +0000, Tony Morgan <>
    wrote:

    >>What about an . mpg file... is it also like an "envelope", similar to
    >>avi?

    >No. But there are different types of Mpegs; MPG1 and MPG2.

    ....and again, you've snipped out the main question in order to lecture
    us on a detail.

    What format should he use to make a video file with maximum
    compatibility?

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  16. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:16:30 GMT, "G Hardy"
    <> wrote:

    >> AVI is nothing more than a container for any type of data. Think of it
    >> being like an envelope which can contain a letter, a cheque, a birthday
    >> card - the envelope is an envelope, and it can contain anything.

    >Further to what Tony and others have written; the idea of a "container"
    >happens more than you think. WAV, MOV and (to a lesser extent) WMA and WMV
    >all rely on system-installed codecs. It's a clever system really, not a mess
    >(as the OP thinks), because you don't need to install a new application
    >whenever someone develops a new compression scheme.
    >
    >Even the use of XLS is a bad example (from the OP's PoV) because there are
    >compatibility issues between files saved with different versions of Office.

    And which codec do you recommend for maximum compatibility?

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  17. On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:31:22 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
    <> wrote:

    >> That's the other question that I asked, whether there is a
    >> basic video/audio file that can be excepted in any version
    >> of computer O/S.

    >Likely the most common form of video that nearly everyone
    >has ability to play is Macromedia/Adobe Flash. The Flash
    >player comes embedded in most everyone's internet browser
    >application (Microsoft's Internet Explorer, etc.) Of course,
    >people who haven't done any upgrades for 6 years may not
    >be able to play files that are made today.
    >
    >> Can an . mpg file be opened in any WMP regarless of its version?

    >Unlikely by people who don't upgrade their software for
    >6 years.
    >
    >> Then the question is how to convert this avi file to that
    >> simple, basic video/audio file.

    >The world is more complex and advanced than you seem
    >to imagine.

    So you're recommending Flash? How should he go about converting a
    video to Flash? Anyone feel helpful? :)

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  18. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:47:03 GMT, "G Hardy"
    <> wrote:

    >> No. But there are different types of Mpegs; MPG1 and MPG2.

    >MPEG-2 requires a paid license, so you won't be able to play MPG files
    >encoded with MPEG-2 on a relatively fresh windows installation. If you pay
    >for a codec such as the one you can get from MainConcept, or you install a
    >DVD playback program such as Cyberlink PowerDVD, so MPG is a "container",
    >viewed from that perspective...

    So what format do you suggest he uses for maximum compatibility?

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  19. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 01:10:47 GMT, "G Hardy"
    <> wrote:

    >> > - How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
    >> > of computers?

    >If you encode your file using the Cinepac codec, it will play on most PCs -
    >but as Richard said, video compression has come on in leaps and bounds since
    >you installed WinME. If your viewer is as out-of-touch as you are, then fair
    >enough; but it's more likely that your viewer will benefit from a newer
    >codec.

    Phew! An answer, at last! :)

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  20. Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, Laurence Payne
    <lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom.?.invalid> writes
    >...and again, you've snipped out the main question in order to lecture
    >us on a detail.

    Piss off troll.

    You never contribute - only carp and try to start arguments.

    --
    Tony Morgan

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007