    for the conversion?

    Would appreciate your comments, thank you.

    Ruth.
    Ruth, May 2, 2004

  2. Ruth

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ruth" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    > film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    > than a computer, to no avail!
    >
    > Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    > CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    > as the the one the original .avi film was on.
    >
    > Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    > for the conversion?
    >
    > Would appreciate your comments, thank you.
    >
    > Ruth.

    Sorry - I don't have any suggestions for your CD problem, but here's some
    comments: Your computer time is a bit off...like it says you posted this
    yesterday. Check the clock.
    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2004

  3. Ruth

    Ruth Guest

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:49:40 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:

    >"Ruth" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    >> film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    >> than a computer, to no avail!
    >>
    >> Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    >> CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    >> as the the one the original .avi film was on.
    >>
    >> Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    >> for the conversion?
    >>
    >> Would appreciate your comments, thank you.
    >>
    >> Ruth.

    >Sorry - I don't have any suggestions for your CD problem, but here's some
    >comments: Your computer time is a bit off...like it says you posted this
    >yesterday. Check the clock.

    Sorry about that! Had changed the time factor after our clocks
    went back but must have forgotten to alter the day.

    Ruth.
    Ruth, May 3, 2004
  4. Ruth

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ruth" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:49:40 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:
    >

    > >"Ruth" <> wrote in message
    > >> I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    > >> film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    > >> than a computer, to no avail!
    > >>
    > >> Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    > >> CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    > >> as the the one the original .avi film was on.
    > >>
    > >> Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    > >> for the conversion?
    > >>
    > >> Would appreciate your comments, thank you.
    > >>
    > >> Ruth.

    > >Sorry - I don't have any suggestions for your CD problem, but here's some
    > >comments: Your computer time is a bit off...like it says you posted this
    > >yesterday. Check the clock.

    > Sorry about that! Had changed the time factor after our clocks
    > went back but must have forgotten to alter the day.
    >
    > Ruth.

    Thanks - good luck with your CD problem ;o)
    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2004
  5. Howdy!

    "Ruth" <> wrote in message
    > I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    > film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    > than a computer, to no avail!
    >
    > Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    > CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    > as the the one the original .avi film was on.

    That's probably the problem - I bet the AVI is > 40 minutes long,
    right?

    If so, it won't fit on a SVCD disk.

    > Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    > for the conversion?

    Nope. Well, yes, there are other programs - but you need to watch
    the TIME limits.

    > Would appreciate your comments, thank you.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, May 3, 2004
  6. Ruth

    Piccolo Guest

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:10:43 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Ruth" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    >> film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    >> than a computer, to no avail!
    >>
    >> Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    >> CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    >> as the the one the original .avi film was on.

    > That's probably the problem - I bet the AVI is > 40 minutes long,
    >right?
    >
    > If so, it won't fit on a SVCD disk.
    >

    >> Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    >> for the conversion?

    > Nope. Well, yes, there are other programs - but you need to watch
    >the TIME limits.
    >

    >> Would appreciate your comments, thank you.

    > RwP

    I use TMPGEnc, it seems to work very good and has many options you can
    set. Half of which I leave alone because I have no clue what they are.
    I have made about 10 VCD's of 2 hour movies using this program. The
    conversion took me quit a while per movie though. Used a 800mhz
    celeron wht 512mb pc133 and it took around 14 hours per movie to
    convert to VCD and sync the audio/video and resize it as well. Dont
    want a 320x240 picture for watching on the television.
    Piccolo, May 3, 2004
  7. Ruth

    Ruth Guest

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 00:07:41 -0500, Piccolo <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:10:43 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Howdy!
    >>
    >>"Ruth" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    >>> film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    >>> than a computer, to no avail!
    >>>
    >>> Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    >>> CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    >>> as the the one the original .avi film was on.

    >> That's probably the problem - I bet the AVI is > 40 minutes long,
    >>right?
    >>
    >> If so, it won't fit on a SVCD disk.
    >>

    >>> Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    >>> for the conversion?

    >> Nope. Well, yes, there are other programs - but you need to watch
    >>the TIME limits.
    >>

    >>> Would appreciate your comments, thank you.

    >> RwP

    Thanks for the above!

    >I use TMPGEnc, it seems to work very good and has many options you can
    >set. Half of which I leave alone because I have no clue what they are.
    >I have made about 10 VCD's of 2 hour movies using this program. The
    >conversion took me quit a while per movie though. Used a 800mhz
    >celeron wht 512mb pc133 and it took around 14 hours per movie to
    >convert to VCD and sync the audio/video and resize it as well. Dont
    >want a 320x240 picture for watching on the television.

    I appreciate your detailed comment. I've been in to the TMPGEnc site
    and have been doing my reading up! Am I correct in saying, that with
    what you did above was done with an .avi movie file you then converted
    to a VCD MPEG-1 file and after that to a VCD format using a CD-R?

    I can relate to the length of time it took you because I have wasted
    hours, ending up with nothing because it was apparently too big for
    the disc.

    Thanks. Ruth.
    Ruth, May 3, 2004
  8. Ruth

    gangle Guest

    "Ruth" wrote > I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    > film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    > than a computer, to no avail!
    >
    > Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    > CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    > as the the one the original .avi film was on.
    >
    > Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    > for the conversion?
    >
    > Would appreciate your comments, thank you.

    The AVI you have fits on one CD because it is a compressed format
    (probably 5-7 MB per minute) like DivX or Xvid.
    The VCD type of MPG takes 10 MB per minute of video; the
    SVCD format takes 14-20 MB per minute, depending on the bitrate
    you set in TMPGEnc (which I see from another post that you
    have discovered -- Nero is a joke for this type of conversion).
    Any movie in SVCD format will require 2-4 CDs to burn it, depending
    on it's length, therefore it has to be converted from AVI to SVCD
    into 2-3 parts before you can burn the CDs. The only way
    to learn this process properly is through trial and error. This site
    is filled with useful info: http://www.videohelp.com/convert
    gangle, May 3, 2004
  9. Ruth

    Piccolo Guest

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 18:04:28 +1000, Ruth <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 03 May 2004 00:07:41 -0500, Piccolo <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:10:43 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Howdy!
    >>>
    >>>"Ruth" <> wrote in message

    >>> That's probably the problem - I bet the AVI is > 40 minutes long,
    >>>right?
    >>>
    >>> If so, it won't fit on a SVCD disk.

    >>> Nope. Well, yes, there are other programs - but you need to watch
    >>>the TIME limits.

    >>> RwP

    >Thanks for the above!
    >>>

    >>I use TMPGEnc, it seems to work very good and has many options you can
    >>set. Half of which I leave alone because I have no clue what they are.
    >>I have made about 10 VCD's of 2 hour movies using this program. The
    >>conversion took me quit a while per movie though. Used a 800mhz
    >>celeron wht 512mb pc133 and it took around 14 hours per movie to
    >>convert to VCD and sync the audio/video and resize it as well. Dont
    >>want a 320x240 picture for watching on the television.

    >I appreciate your detailed comment. I've been in to the TMPGEnc site
    >and have been doing my reading up! Am I correct in saying, that with
    >what you did above was done with an .avi movie file you then converted
    >to a VCD MPEG-1 file and after that to a VCD format using a CD-R?
    >
    >I can relate to the length of time it took you because I have wasted
    >hours, ending up with nothing because it was apparently too big for
    >the disc.
    >
    >Thanks. Ruth.

    Yes, I did this all with many AVI files. I converted them to VCD
    MPEG-1 format, then use Nero I believe it was to burn them. TMPGEnc
    has a good option to where you can set the size of the disk you want
    it to fit on, and if it can, it will make the adjustments accordingly
    to get it to fit on the disk. Just watch the quality while you do
    this, sometimes it can get way too low and you come out with a
    horrible picture. If you didnt care if it was SVCD or VCD though, I
    would think that a movie under an hour long would fit onto one CDR
    disk.

    I didnt mean to sound like TMPGEnc was an advanced users tool, it can
    be used with ease for a beginner pretty much. It just has many other
    options as well.
    Piccolo, May 3, 2004
  10. Ruth

    Ruth Guest

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 03:02:16 -0700, "gangle" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ruth" wrote > I've been trying (using a Nero Burning Rom plug-in) to convert an .avi
    >> film to SVCD format so that it could be watched on a DVD player rather
    >> than a computer, to no avail!
    >>
    >> Nero keeps telling me that there is no room for the compilation on the
    >> CD-R disk I'm using. For the SVCD I used exactly the same size CD-R
    >> as the the one the original .avi film was on.
    >>
    >> Is there another way I could do this? Perhaps using another programme
    >> for the conversion?
    >>
    >> Would appreciate your comments, thank you.

    >The AVI you have fits on one CD because it is a compressed format
    >(probably 5-7 MB per minute) like DivX or Xvid.
    >The VCD type of MPG takes 10 MB per minute of video; the
    >SVCD format takes 14-20 MB per minute, depending on the bitrate
    >you set in TMPGEnc (which I see from another post that you
    >have discovered -- Nero is a joke for this type of conversion).
    >Any movie in SVCD format will require 2-4 CDs to burn it, depending
    >on it's length, therefore it has to be converted from AVI to SVCD
    >into 2-3 parts before you can burn the CDs. The only way
    >to learn this process properly is through trial and error. This site
    >is filled with useful info: http://www.videohelp.com/convert

    I do appreciate your taking the trouble to explain all this, thank
    you.

    Ruth.

    Ruth, May 4, 2004
  11. Ruth

    Ruth Guest

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:44:23 -0500, Piccolo <> wrote:

    [snipped text here...........]

    >>>I use TMPGEnc, it seems to work very good and has many options you can
    >>>set. Half of which I leave alone because I have no clue what they are.
    >>>I have made about 10 VCD's of 2 hour movies using this program. The
    >>>conversion took me quit a while per movie though. Used a 800mhz
    >>>celeron wht 512mb pc133 and it took around 14 hours per movie to
    >>>convert to VCD and sync the audio/video and resize it as well. Dont
    >>>want a 320x240 picture for watching on the television.

    >>I appreciate your detailed comment. I've been in to the TMPGEnc site
    >>and have been doing my reading up! Am I correct in saying, that with
    >>what you did above was done with an .avi movie file you then converted
    >>to a VCD MPEG-1 file and after that to a VCD format using a CD-R?
    >>
    >>I can relate to the length of time it took you because I have wasted
    >>hours, ending up with nothing because it was apparently too big for
    >>the disc.
    >>
    >>Thanks. Ruth.

    >Yes, I did this all with many AVI files. I converted them to VCD
    >MPEG-1 format, then use Nero I believe it was to burn them. TMPGEnc
    >has a good option to where you can set the size of the disk you want
    >it to fit on, and if it can, it will make the adjustments accordingly
    >to get it to fit on the disk. Just watch the quality while you do
    >this, sometimes it can get way too low and you come out with a
    >horrible picture. If you didnt care if it was SVCD or VCD though, I
    >would think that a movie under an hour long would fit onto one CDR
    >disk.
    >
    >I didnt mean to sound like TMPGEnc was an advanced users tool, it can
    >be used with ease for a beginner pretty much. It just has many other
    >options as well.

    Actually, you are right, it is very user friendly I find. Thanks for
    telling me about it.

    Now...............would you happen to know of a good video editor I
    could use if I decide to split the file?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then I should be well equipped to have a go <VBG>

    Ruth.
    Ruth, May 4, 2004
  12. Ruth

    gangle Guest

    "Ruth" wrote
    > On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:44:23 -0500, Piccolo <> wrote:
    >
    > [snipped text here...........]

    > >>I appreciate your detailed comment. I've been in to the TMPGEnc site
    > >>and have been doing my reading up! Am I correct in saying, that with
    > >>what you did above was done with an .avi movie file you then converted
    > >>to a VCD MPEG-1 file and after that to a VCD format using a CD-R?
    > >>
    > >>I can relate to the length of time it took you because I have wasted
    > >>hours, ending up with nothing because it was apparently too big for
    > >>the disc.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks. Ruth.

    > >Yes, I did this all with many AVI files. I converted them to VCD
    > >MPEG-1 format, then use Nero I believe it was to burn them. TMPGEnc
    > >has a good option to where you can set the size of the disk you want
    > >it to fit on, and if it can, it will make the adjustments accordingly
    > >to get it to fit on the disk. Just watch the quality while you do
    > >this, sometimes it can get way too low and you come out with a
    > >horrible picture. If you didnt care if it was SVCD or VCD though, I
    > >would think that a movie under an hour long would fit onto one CDR
    > >disk.
    > >
    > >I didnt mean to sound like TMPGEnc was an advanced users tool, it can
    > >be used with ease for a beginner pretty much. It just has many other
    > >options as well.

    > Actually, you are right, it is very user friendly I find. Thanks for
    > telling me about it.
    >
    > Now...............would you happen to know of a good video editor I
    > could use if I decide to split the file?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Then I should be well equipped to have a go <VBG>

    Just use TMPGEnc to choose the start and stop points of
    what you want a particular part to be. With TMPGEnc open
    (not the wizard): Setting > Advanced Tab > double click
    "Source range" > use the slider to designate Start and End
    frames > OK. WITH the wizard, just check the Source square
    and you'll get to the same place. As I said, and this applies
    to ALL software: you should play with it and explore all
    options --trial and error -- it's the only way of learning
    about it and being able to take advantage of all that it offers.
    Also, use the HELP file as a guide to start the experimenting
    and learn-by-doing. For example, f the original is too dark or
    too green, TMPGEnc can fix that too. Just keep playing with
    it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    gangle, May 4, 2004
  13. Ruth

    Ruth Guest

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:42:16 -0700, "gangle" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ruth" wrote
    >> On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:44:23 -0500, Piccolo <> wrote:
    >>
    >> [snipped text here...........]

    >> >Yes, I did this all with many AVI files. I converted them to VCD
    >> >MPEG-1 format, then use Nero I believe it was to burn them. TMPGEnc
    >> >has a good option to where you can set the size of the disk you want
    >> >it to fit on, and if it can, it will make the adjustments accordingly
    >> >to get it to fit on the disk. Just watch the quality while you do
    >> >this, sometimes it can get way too low and you come out with a
    >> >horrible picture. If you didnt care if it was SVCD or VCD though, I
    >> >would think that a movie under an hour long would fit onto one CDR
    >> >disk.
    >> >
    >> >I didnt mean to sound like TMPGEnc was an advanced users tool, it can
    >> >be used with ease for a beginner pretty much. It just has many other
    >> >options as well.

    >> Actually, you are right, it is very user friendly I find. Thanks for
    >> telling me about it.
    >>
    >> Now...............would you happen to know of a good video editor I
    >> could use if I decide to split the file?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >> Then I should be well equipped to have a go <VBG>

    >Just use TMPGEnc to choose the start and stop points of
    >what you want a particular part to be. With TMPGEnc open
    >(not the wizard): Setting > Advanced Tab > double click
    >"Source range" > use the slider to designate Start and End
    >frames > OK. WITH the wizard, just check the Source square
    >and you'll get to the same place. As I said, and this applies
    >to ALL software: you should play with it and explore all
    >options --trial and error -- it's the only way of learning
    >about it and being able to take advantage of all that it offers.
    >Also, use the HELP file as a guide to start the experimenting
    >and learn-by-doing. For example, f the original is too dark or
    >too green, TMPGEnc can fix that too. Just keep playing with
    >it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

    Thanks again. While waiting for a reply, I did just that and
    experimented with AVI-MPEG-/ASF/-WMV Splitter and divided it into two
    equal chunks.

    I then opened up one of the chunks in TMPGEnc and changed it into an
    MPEG-1 file.

    After that, it went into Nero Burning Rom which automatically encoded
    it before burning it.

    We have now seen the first "chunk" on the DVD player and although I
    say it myself, it looked superb with audio totally in sync (no work on
    my part!) with the video.

    I'm indebted to you guys and am very pleased with myself! Thank you
    all again for your input and that computer spirit which enables us all
    to do better.

    Regards, Ruth.
    Ruth, May 4, 2004