AVI (DivX) change of behaviour - tries to get online

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Downloaded and installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack
    1.6.2, sesp162en.exe, after backing up registry and imaging the drive.
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

    Everything seems fine except for new behaviour of AVI files. Normally
    when I double click on an avi file it just plays. Now, if I have an
    online connection, it wants to go online first, but only with AVI
    files, not WMV or MPG etc and only if I double click on the file. If
    I open the avi file from File / Open, it plays normally If I deny it
    with ZoneAlarm it just plays as normal. If I set ZoneAlarm to
    permanently block the player, it just plays normally. It doesn't seem
    to matter if it was Media Player or Zoom Player.

    All my AVI files are versions of DivX so I am guessing this might be
    autoupdate? But where do you switch it off?

    ZoneAlarm reports that it is trying to contact 203.109.252.42 DNS.

    GraB, Nov 5, 2004

  2. GraB

    Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 08:27:10 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Downloaded and installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 1.6.2,
    > sesp162en.exe, after backing up registry and imaging the drive.

    Well stupid you for installing a non-Micro$oft-approved "service pack"!

    I suggest that you restore your system from the image you took.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Nov 5, 2004

  3. GraB

    XPD Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > ZoneAlarm reports that it is trying to contact 203.109.252.42 DNS.

    Isnt that IHUGs DNS server ?

    XPD, Nov 5, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:42:36 +1300, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> ZoneAlarm reports that it is trying to contact 203.109.252.42 DNS.

    >Isnt that IHUGs DNS server ?

    I believe it is.

    GraB, Nov 6, 2004
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:15:36 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 08:27:10 +1300, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> Downloaded and installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 1.6.2,
    >> sesp162en.exe, after backing up registry and imaging the drive.

    >Well stupid you for installing a non-Micro$oft-approved "service pack"!
    >
    >I suggest that you restore your system from the image you took.
    >

    >Divine

    Yes, I thought someone would be bound to say that. Did your homework
    on that patch first ( http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html )? Users
    report no trouble with it.

    I have since found two settings regarding DivX that would make it go
    online: "Check for updates" and "Rotate Artwork". In the 98SE
    registry there are two incidences of these. Also there is a
    discussion in
    http://forums.divx.com/viewtopic.php?topic=59890&forum=13

    I don't know why it didn't try to connect online before I installed
    this patch but it seems that DivX sends a message to a counter after
    installation that counts the number of installations against
    downloads. I decided to let it connect and since then it hasn't tried
    again.

    GraB, Nov 6, 2004