    I need to download some Codec's or something?
    I can play Mpegs fine.

    Thank You in advance for any help.
    Columbo, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Columbo

    Richard Guest

    Columbo! wrote:

    > Hello.
    > When I play a AVI file through Windows Media Player I only get the sound.
    > Do I need to download some Codec's or something?
    > I can play Mpegs fine.

    > Thank You in advance for any help.

    www.divx.com

    Try using a media player that supports AVI. Windows media player does not.
    Richard, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Columbo

    Ionizer Guest

    "Columbo" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > When I play a AVI file through Windows Media Player I only get the sound.

    Do
    > I need to download some Codec's or something?
    > I can play Mpegs fine.
    >
    > Thank You in advance for any help.

    If the avi file is a DIVX or XVID movie file, and it quite possibly is, this
    one codec will probably do the trick:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/ You can determine the sort of
    codec required by opening the avi file with this:
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Columbo

    Ionizer Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > Try using a media player that supports AVI. Windows media player does not.

    Windows Media Player does indeed support avi playback! Have a look in
    Tools|Options under the File Types tab: "The Video File format(s) include
    files with .avi extensions."

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Columbo

    Columbo Guest

    Cheers for that guys, much appreciated.

    Columbo, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Columbo

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:43:32 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
    wrote:

    > Columbo! wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.
    > > When I play a AVI file through Windows Media Player I only get the sound.
    > > Do I need to download some Codec's or something?
    > > I can play Mpegs fine.

    > > Thank You in advance for any help.

    >www.divx.com
    >
    >Try using a media player that supports AVI. Windows media player does not.

    That's just ignorant. With the right codecs, Windows media player
    handles AVI files just fine.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 26, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    > Columbo! wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.
    > > When I play a AVI file through Windows Media Player I only get the

    sound.
    > > Do I need to download some Codec's or something?
    > > I can play Mpegs fine.

    > > Thank You in advance for any help.

    > www.divx.com
    >
    > Try using a media player that supports AVI. Windows media player does not.

    <blink>

    <blink>

    In what universe do YOU live? WMP has ALWAYS supported .AVIs,
    although not all codecs are installed with WMP.

    AVI, after all, is Microsoft's OWN format - designed to avoid paying
    patents to Apple for Quicktime .MOV format files.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 26, 2003