    and the XP installtion (on the same machine)

    checked the avg forums and see that there were a lot of similar problems
    but *no* answers yet

    philo, Nov 12, 2004

  2. philo

    °Mike° Guest

    There's a simple answer: use an antivirus that works,
    and doesn't break your settings.

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:07:58 -0600, in
    <>
    philo scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 12, 2004

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > There's a simple answer: use an antivirus that works,
    > and doesn't break your settings.

    I've tried a number of other anti-virus apps (even a few that you have to
    pay for) and until today AVG was the most trouble-free!

    philo, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Thought I'd chime in here. I help keep a bunch of peoples' computers up
    and running. Many of them are extremely clue-resistant and when it comes
    time to pay for antivirus, they say they will but then they don't. And
    they end up bringing the machine back again. The way I handle it is if
    they bring in a machine and they have a working antivirus that isn't
    seriously out of date, I leave it as is. But if it's out of date, I
    install either AVG or Avast and set it to automatically update. I figure
    that may be their best chance of keeping it somewhat clean. A few quirks
    I can deal with when the price is that low.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 12, 2004
  5. philo

    Rob Guest

    Try Avast! at www.avast.com.
    Im talking about the *HOME version (4.1.501)
    *After downloading only once you have to get a registration-key (FREE)
    send to you by email.
    Many Skins are available

    Works OKwirh XP-home.
    Is has also a special P2P-security. Many (FREE !!!) updates (automatic
    if wanted)

    -=Rob

    Rob, Nov 12, 2004
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Try Avast! at www.avast.com.
    > Im talking about the *HOME version (4.1.501)
    > *After downloading only once you have to get a registration-key (FREE)
    > send to you by email.
    > Many Skins are available
    >
    > Works OKwirh XP-home.
    > Is has also a special P2P-security. Many (FREE !!!) updates (automatic if
    > wanted)

    i just might give Avast a try...
    otoh: avg7 even without the pop3 scanning is probably as good as avg6
    since i use mailwasher to delete and blacklist all the incomming junk...
    i've never really come close to getting a virus anyway.

    when i get a virus-infested machine to work on...i usually install avg...
    but in the future may very well give Avast a try.

    philo, Nov 12, 2004
  7. philo

    ~Brian~ Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > just went with the free avg7 and tested it on my (expendable) win98
    > installtion
    > and it worked fine
    > so i next tried it on my XP machine...but cannot log into pop3 server
    > (error message : plaintext authentication not supported )
    > if i disable the avg works ok otherwise.
    > and yes, the configuration was identical otherwise between the win98
    > and the XP installtion (on the same machine)
    >
    > checked the avg forums and see that there were a lot of similar problems
    > but *no* answers yet

    I gave it up 2 or 3 months ago because of constant problems with email scans
    etc. and not getting any real help from AVG. to resolve the problems.

    ~Brian~, Nov 12, 2004
  8. philo

    lsj7 Guest

    philo wrote:
    > just went with the free avg7 and tested it on my (expendable) win98
    > installtion
    > and it worked fine
    > so i next tried it on my XP machine...but cannot log into pop3 server
    > (error message : plaintext authentication not supported )
    > if i disable the avg works ok otherwise.
    > and yes, the configuration was identical otherwise between the win98
    > and the XP installtion (on the same machine)
    >
    > checked the avg forums and see that there were a lot of similar
    > problems but *no* answers yet

    Firewall could be the answer.........

    --

    Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
    attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you

    _________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

    lsj7

    lsj7, Nov 12, 2004
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    > Firewall could be the answer.........

    it's not the firewall either
    i even tried with it totally disabled

    philo, Nov 12, 2004
  10. philo

    Rob Guest

    Also totally removed your firewall from disk
    AND cleaned your PC with the FREE Ccleaner (Ccleaner.com) or better
    with Registry First Aid (www.RoseCitySoftware.com) (NOT free, but worth
    it all !!)

    After that install your Antivirus and then install any firewall again,
    so it can "see" your antivirus program!

    -=Rob

    philo wrote:

    >>Firewall could be the answer.........
    >>

    >it's not the firewall either
    >i even tried with it totally disabled

    --
    ----
    THUNDERBIRD MAIL

    Rob, Nov 12, 2004
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Also totally removed your firewall from disk
    > AND cleaned your PC with the FREE Ccleaner (Ccleaner.com) or better with
    > Registry First Aid (www.RoseCitySoftware.com) (NOT free, but worth it all
    > !!)
    >
    > After that install your Antivirus and then install any firewall again, so
    > it can "see" your antivirus program!

    i cleaned my system before installing it
    at any rate...after reading the AVG forums it seems there is some problem
    with AVG itself which may evenentually be resolved

    again ...AVG is working...it just has blocked pop3 scanning.
    smtp scan works fine

    philo, Nov 12, 2004
  12. philo

    Another Fred Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > just went with the free avg7 and tested it on my (expendable) win98
    > installtion
    > and it worked fine
    > so i next tried it on my XP machine...but cannot log into pop3 server
    > (error message : plaintext authentication not supported )
    > if i disable the avg works ok otherwise.
    > and yes, the configuration was identical otherwise between the win98
    > and the XP installtion (on the same machine)
    >
    > checked the avg forums and see that there were a lot of similar

    problems
    > but *no* answers yet

    Just had a look at the forum , after the same error and here was a reply
    that
    seemed to have fixed my error (Thank you Kacey!):
    Here is my fix that worked when you are using mailwasher and zone alarm.
    Open zone alarm, go to firewall section then zones.
    Enter your email configurations ... mail.'whatever'.com or whatever it
    is.
    If both pop3 and smtp are the same as mine is you only need to enter it
    once.
    If smtp is different you may have to enter it also before it works,
    click add, then apply.
    Doing this my Mailwasher now connects and accesses my email ... no more
    plain text error
    Don't know if this works with the XP sp2 firewall or not I haven't tried
    it yet on my XP computer.
    This was done on a computer using Windows Me\Mailwasher\ZoneAlarm

    Another Fred, Nov 12, 2004
  13. philo

    Mellowed Guest

    I also had problems getting email to work with the new AVG7. I happen to
    use XP. The problem seems to be the default 'ports' in AVG. It defaults to
    10110 for POP 3 and 10025 and for STMP. Outlook Express uses 110 and 25
    respectively.

    When selecting Properties in Email Scanner, Select 'Server'. Verify the
    ports match your email reader and change if necessary. I had an awful time
    getting AVG to not revert to their default upon reboot. In fact, I'm still
    not sure if it will continue working.

    AVG 7 is Beta and needs considerable work to have a straight forward
    installation. I fought the installation as an educational challenge since I
    really did not know what I was doing and just hoped to learn something. My
    problem was not related to Plain text authentication. But, who knows, maybe
    it is relevant.

    Mellowed, Nov 12, 2004
  14. philo

    philo Guest

    "Another Fred" <"Fred"@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> just went with the free avg7 and tested it on my (expendable) win98
    >> installtion
    >> and it worked fine
    >> so i next tried it on my XP machine...but cannot log into pop3 server
    >> (error message : plaintext authentication not supported )
    >> if i disable the avg works ok otherwise.
    >> and yes, the configuration was identical otherwise between the win98
    >> and the XP installtion (on the same machine)
    >>
    >> checked the avg forums and see that there were a lot of similar

    > problems
    >> but *no* answers yet
    >>

    > Just had a look at the forum , after the same error and here was a reply
    > that
    > seemed to have fixed my error (Thank you Kacey!):
    > Here is my fix that worked when you are using mailwasher and zone alarm.
    > Open zone alarm, go to firewall section then zones.
    > Enter your email configurations ... mail.'whatever'.com or whatever it
    > is.
    > If both pop3 and smtp are the same as mine is you only need to enter it
    > once.
    > If smtp is different you may have to enter it also before it works,
    > click add, then apply.
    > Doing this my Mailwasher now connects and accesses my email ... no more
    > plain text error
    > Don't know if this works with the XP sp2 firewall or not I haven't tried
    > it yet on my XP computer.
    > This was done on a computer using Windows Me\Mailwasher\ZoneAlarm

    that was it... thank you!
    and my apologizes to the person who already suggested it was the firewall.

    my situation was a bit complicated becasue my isp had been bought out
    a while back and i have two possible mail servers

    philo, Nov 12, 2004
  15. philo

    Ron Martell Guest

    "philo" <> wrote:

    >just went with the free avg7 and tested it on my (expendable) win98
    >installtion
    >and it worked fine
    >so i next tried it on my XP machine...but cannot log into pop3 server
    >(error message : plaintext authentication not supported )
    >if i disable the avg works ok otherwise.
    >and yes, the configuration was identical otherwise between the win98
    >and the XP installtion (on the same machine)
    >
    >checked the avg forums and see that there were a lot of similar problems
    >but *no* answers yet

    No problems whatever with AVG7 here, and I have been using it with
    Windows XP Pro since about September with the initial public beta
    version, then the second beta, and now the released free version.

    Where there are serious problems is with AVG7 and Windows 95, and that
    is one that is not likely to get resolved.

    Insofar as special email scanning functions in an antivirus program
    are concerned, there is general agreement that these are just a "feel
    good" thing that provides not actual added security benefit and may
    cause errors or hangups when the email scanning function starts
    fighting with the regular antivirus function over who gets to blow the
    whistle. Symantec had some technical documents on this subject on
    their website but they seem to have been removed from the public view.
    I usually configure my antivirus so that any special email scanning
    function is disabled. The a.v. function still always comes to life
    whenever I try to open or to save an infected email attachment. I
    also always have my email program set to plain text viewing only.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 13, 2004
  16. I ALWAYS HAVE AND STILL LOVE AVG!
    It's been wonderful and totally dependable.
    Chris

    Steve & Chris Clark, Nov 13, 2004
  17. philo

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:24:10 -0600, in
    <>
    philo scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> There's a simple answer: use an antivirus that works,
    >> and doesn't break your settings.
    >>

    >I've tried a number of other anti-virus apps (even a few that you have to
    >pay for) and until today AVG was the most trouble-free!

    It would seem otherwise from here.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2004
  18. philo

    philo Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    >> Firewall could be the answer.........

    > it's not the firewall either
    > i even tried with it totally disabled

    i was wrong...it *was* the firewall
    i had to enable my mail server in zone alarm...
    i had merely disabled XP's firewall before!

    philo, Nov 14, 2004