AVG7 fails to install. Help Please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Snoopy, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
    Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.

    I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
    slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
    there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
    need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.

    The AVG instructions are very unclear as to what is missing on my
    system. However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
    fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

    TIA

    SNOOPY

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

    Snoopy, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Snoopy

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:09 +1300, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z
    (*is n) wrote:

    >I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
    >Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
    >
    >I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
    >slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
    >there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
    >need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.

    You don't need AV - afterall you are will
    Italian Jobs, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Snoopy

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:01:45 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:09 +1300, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z
    >(*is n) wrote:
    >

    >>I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
    >>Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
    >>
    >>I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
    >>slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
    >>there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
    >>need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.

    >You don't need AV - afterall you are will

    Bugger

    meant to say if you're not willing to upgrade to the higher security
    offered by later versions of IE, then AV protection is going to only
    manage one side of the problem.

    You are using Firefox aren't you? Or another modern browser. Or are
    you the lone Netscape4 user that I see in my weblogs?
    Italian Jobs, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    (*is n) wrote:

    >Given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
    >fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    >in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    >not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

    In answer to my question.

    1/ Get a list of all the files that make up an 'MS IE5.01' 'minimum
    installation'.
    2/ Get a list of all the files that make up 'MS Office 2000' 'minimum
    installation'
    3/ Find the files common on each list
    4/ Install them individually and manually.

    My sticking point is a steps 1/ and 2/. How do I get these file
    lists?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    (*is n) wrote:

    >However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
    >fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    >in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    >not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

    To answer my own question again.

    1/ Find someone who already has a copy of AVG7 installed and working
    and also a copy of a program operational analyzer , like 'dependency
    walker installed'.
    2/ Operate AVG7 via Dependency Walker and use it to make a list of
    the DLLs called.
    3/ Take that list and compare it to the DLLs that are present on my
    existing system.

    However, again I am stopped at step 1. I don't know anyone who has
    both 'dependency walke'r and AVG7.0 operating together.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    (*is n) wrote:

    >I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
    >Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.

    I have never had this situation before, where the installation program
    refuses to install the software. I think that if I could get AVG7
    installed then I could get it to work.

    I have already done this with the 'K-meleon' browser which said that
    it needed IE5 to be able to operate. This was not true as with the
    addition of a couple of missing DLLs I was able to get it working
    without IE5.

    My problem here is that there might be something in the 'smart
    installer' of AVG7 that tells it that IE5 is not on my computer. A
    missing key in the registry perhaps? Could I add an entry into my
    registry, a simple label perhaps, that will fool this installer into
    thinking that I have IE5?

    If so what is it and where should I put it?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Snoopy

    PseUDO Guest

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
    > Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
    >
    > I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
    > slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
    > there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
    > need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.
    >
    > The AVG instructions are very unclear as to what is missing on my
    > system. However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
    > fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    > in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    > not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > SNOOPY

    When you install AVG 7 it asks you to register the product online via
    their website, so if you haven't got IE, im guessing that it halts the
    install since it see's that you haven't got any way to register,even
    though their is an option to not register the product,since it only
    gives you access to fourms, etc.

    So you may be out of luck.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Snoopy

    Axle Guest

    Snoopy *is n wrote:

    > If I can't make AVG7 work work on the system I have largely
    > unmodified, then I will abandon AVG.

    Try Antivir
    http://www.free-av.com/
    Axle, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:04:02 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:01:45 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:
    >

    >meant to say if you're not willing to upgrade to the higher security
    >offered by later versions of IE, then AV protection is going to only
    >manage one side of the problem.

    I don't really want to turn this into a philisophical debate.

    I already know what I need to do to solve this problem, as outlined in
    my first three supplementary posts. It is just that I lack the
    resources to carry off these solutions at the moment. That is why I
    am appealing for help.

    My main contribution to internet security, on a personal level, has
    been to make sure Microsoft Outlook is not installed on my computer in
    any form, and that no Windows address book exists.

    I do not leave my computer connected to the internet unattended.

    I always supervise anyone else who uses this machine.

    I always keep my virus checker up to date

    Granted these measures won't solve all potential problems, but even so
    I believe muy computer is operated in a more secure manner than 80% of
    the Windows XP systems out there. I know that crippling my computer
    with bloatware will cause it to become unusable so that 'solution' you
    have put forward of blindly upgrading is not acceptable to me.

    If I can't make AVG7 work work on the system I have largely
    unmodified, then I will abandon AVG.

    >You are using Firefox aren't you? Or another modern browser. Or are
    >you the lone Netscape4 user that I see in my weblogs?

    I use K-meleon aka a cut down Mozilla.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Steve Marshall, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Snoopy

    PseUDO Guest

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:45:07 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >

    >>When you install AVG 7 it asks you to register the product online via
    >>their website, so if you haven't got IE, im guessing that it halts the
    >>install since it sees that you haven't got any way to register,even
    >>though their is an option to not register the product,since it only
    >>gives you access to fourms, etc.
    >>
    >>So you may be out of luck.
    >>

    > How far through the installation process can you get before you are
    > forced to register?
    >
    > If AVG are that much in Microsofts back pocket it may be time to leave
    > them anyway. Surely any active browser will do to register?
    > I can't see why I should need IE5 to do it!
    >
    > SNOOPY

    It asks right at the end of the install, when it also asks if you wish
    to check for updates, create rescue disk etc, i always just click the
    "next" button and carry on since i dont want to register for any of
    their services, the IE issue could be related, but im only guessing!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jan 4, 2005
  12. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:32:11 +1300, Steve Marshall <>
    wrote:

    >> I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    >>in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    >>not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

    >Have you looked through the installation section of Grisoft's AVG FAQ?
    >
    >http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/v5
    >
    >Specifically:
    >
    >http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5491/lng/us/tpl/v5

    Thanks Steve. I did find this page a few days ago but then noticed
    it didn't say where the required missing operating system dlls should
    be, so went on to see if I could find some clearer information.

    Anyway I have taken a punt and installed the two DLLs that the article
    said I needed ( MSVCRT.DLL version 6.0.8797.0 and MSVCP60.DLL version
    6.0.8972.0 ) in C:/Windows/System. I think that is a fair guess
    because an earlier version of MSVCRT.DLL was already there but
    MSVCP60.DLL has not existed on my computer before so I hope I put it
    in the right place. I am intending to install AVG7 on the C: drive
    also, if the installer will ever let me get that far.

    I rebooted my computer then proceeded with the installation. Same
    deal I am afraid. It all seemed to be going well when a screen popped
    up and said that I didn't have IE5.01 or Office 2000 and:

    "AVG Antivirus FREE Edition requires system components which are not
    present in your operating system.
    Please install either Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or Microsoft
    Office 2000 or newer prior to the installation of AVG Anti-Virus FREE
    Edition."

    That is a pretty annoying error message, asking me to install vast
    qunatities of bloatware to 'fix' my problem, and no doubt cause
    unforseen operational issues in the process.

    Thanks for the suggestion anyway :-(

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 4, 2005
  13. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    Snoopy, Jan 4, 2005
  14. Snoopy

    bambam Guest

    (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote in

    > I have already done this with the 'K-meleon' browser which said that
    > it needed IE5 to be able to operate. This was not true as with the
    > addition of a couple of missing DLLs I was able to get it working
    > without IE5.

    Does this look a bit strange to anyone else?
    I would be very surprised if K-Meleon needed any part of IE to install, or
    that the install of K-Meleon would ask for any version of IE.
    bambam, Jan 4, 2005
  15. >Thanks for the suggestion anyway :-(

    That's OK. What about trying EZ Antivirus 2005? Seems to work fine
    under Win98 Lite, with IE and OE completely removed. Check out the
    one-month trial (CA offered a 1-year trial in 2004). The great thing
    about it is that it seems robust and has a small footprint.

    Steve Marshall, Jan 4, 2005
  16. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:28:43 +1300, Snoopy wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:32:11 +1300, Steve Marshall <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>> I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    >>>in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    >>>not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

    >>Have you looked through the installation section of Grisoft's AVG FAQ?
    >>
    >>http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/v5
    >>
    >>Specifically:
    >>
    >>http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5491/lng/us/tpl/v5
    >>

    > Thanks Steve. I did find this page a few days ago but then noticed
    > it didn't say where the required missing operating system dlls should
    > be, so went on to see if I could find some clearer information.
    >
    > Anyway I have taken a punt and installed the two DLLs that the article
    > said I needed ( MSVCRT.DLL version 6.0.8797.0 and MSVCP60.DLL version
    > 6.0.8972.0 ) in C:/Windows/System. I think that is a fair guess
    > because an earlier version of MSVCRT.DLL was already there but
    > MSVCP60.DLL has not existed on my computer before so I hope I put it
    > in the right place. I am intending to install AVG7 on the C: drive
    > also, if the installer will ever let me get that far.
    >
    > I rebooted my computer then proceeded with the installation. Same
    > deal I am afraid. It all seemed to be going well when a screen popped
    > up and said that I didn't have IE5.01 or Office 2000 and:
    >
    > "AVG Antivirus FREE Edition requires system components which are not
    > present in your operating system.
    > Please install either Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or Microsoft
    > Office 2000 or newer prior to the installation of AVG Anti-Virus FREE
    > Edition."
    >
    > That is a pretty annoying error message, asking me to install vast
    > qunatities of bloatware to 'fix' my problem, and no doubt cause
    > unforseen operational issues in the process.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion anyway :-(
    >
    > SNOOPY

    Stop torturing yourself and just use AntiVir or something else

    http://www.free-av.com/
    wogers nemesis, Jan 4, 2005
  17. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:54:54 +1300, wogers nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >Stop torturing yourself and just use AntiVir or something else
    >
    >http://www.free-av.com/

    I may end up doing just that. Free-av is ahead in the alternative
    suggestion stakes 2:1 as I write this.

    But I am reluctant to walk away from AVG, mainly because it beats the
    two previous av programs I had been running hands down. Mind you
    perhaps that was because they were Nortons and Macafes ;-). But
    seriously it was light years ahead of those two in terms of footprint
    and speed of operation, and the fact that it was free made the whole
    deal amazing.

    Also AVG documents that AVG7 will work with Win95, provided it has the
    suitable 'enhancements' (IE5 and/or Office 2000). Can you say taht
    about the others?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 4, 2005
  18. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:27:55 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:45:07 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >>
    >>How far through the installation process can you get before you are
    >>forced to register?
    >>
    >>If AVG are that much in Microsofts back pocket it may be time to leave
    >>them anyway. Surely any active browser will do to register?
    >>I can't see why I should need IE5 to do it!
    >>

    >It asks right at the end of the install, when it also asks if you wish
    >to check for updates, create rescue disk etc, i always just click the
    >"next" button and carry on since i dont want to register for any of
    >their services, the IE issue could be related, but im only guessing!.

    That is way further in the installation process than I got to.

    When I say 'my installation was proceeding normally' I got to the
    point of the installer unpacking everything, at least visually (took
    about 15 seconds), before it gave me the 'will not proced further'
    message. It is possible my lack of IE5 might affect the registration
    process, but I'm picking I should be able to get AVG7 fully installed
    on my computer before your experience raises its head as a potential
    problem.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 4, 2005
  19. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:08:34 +1300, Steve Marshall <>
    wrote:

    >That's OK. What about trying EZ Antivirus 2005? Seems to work fine
    >under Win98 Lite, with IE and OE completely removed. Check out the
    >one-month trial (CA offered a 1-year trial in 2004). The great thing
    >about it is that it seems robust and has a small footprint.
    >
    >http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm

    Is 'my-etrust' the Australian developed Virus checker? That started
    out under another name?

    I had another go at installing AVG by changing a few dlls.

    Firstly I updated 'version.dll' from 4.00.950 to 5.1.2600.2180 (from
    xp service pack 2 it seems). That made the system behave in a funny
    way as it wouldn't load certain programs.

    I found out that in the latter version of 'version.dll' it calls
    NTDll.dll whereas the earlier version didn't. I therefore updated
    NTDll.dll from version 4.00.950 to 5.1.2600.2180. It still didn't
    work properly and it gave me an error message that it expected to find
    a more up to date version of windows and could I install it please.

    That error message was interesting in that it seems to confirm that
    the current version of windows is not stored in 'version.dll' as I
    thought it might be. Perhaps the IE version is stored in the
    registry after all?

    I suspected a compatibility problem with another dll that was being
    called but that I hadn't updated. So I updated KERNEL32.dll from
    version 4.00.951 to version 5.1.2600.2180. This time Windows
    woulddn't even load, even in safe mode. So I restored the file
    versions back to the originals I had changed and everything works
    perfectly again - except still no AVG7!

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jan 4, 2005
  20. Snoopy

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:09 +1300, *is n <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> says...

    > I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
    > Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
    >
    > I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
    > slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
    > there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
    > need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.
    >
    > The AVG instructions are very unclear as to what is missing on my
    > system. However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
    > fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
    > in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
    > not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

    Simple to fix. Install IE 5.x

    Installing IE will not slow your PC massively, if you are concerned about
    performance install some more memory.
    Adder, Jan 4, 2005