    with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    e-mails are being scanned?

    GraB, Feb 1, 2004

  2. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    > With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    > with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    > because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    > e-mails are being scanned?

    AFAIK they're not scanned (AVG and Calypso here) but if you try to open an
    infected attachment it gets caught.

    Calypso isn't a commonly used email client (as much as I like it), actually
    I think it's basically 'abandonware' (I could be wrong). Not many AV
    proggies have the plug-in for it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2004

  3. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:16:03 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    >With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    >with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    >because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    >e-mails are being scanned?

    Send a virus to yourself, and see if it picks it up.

    Craig Shore, Feb 1, 2004
  4. GraB

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:16:03 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    >With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    >with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    >because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    >e-mails are being scanned?

    Why do you need to do this...?

    K & S, Feb 1, 2004
  5. GraB

    CollectorNZ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    >
    >>My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    >>With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    >>with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    >>because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    >>e-mails are being scanned?

    > AFAIK they're not scanned (AVG and Calypso here) but if you try to open an
    > infected attachment it gets caught.
    >
    > Calypso isn't a commonly used email client (as much as I like it), actually
    > I think it's basically 'abandonware' (I could be wrong). Not many AV
    > proggies have the plug-in for it.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Not sure about AVG free, but AVG 7 Pro has the ability to be configured
    as a proxy between the SMTP and POP source and destination ports so will
    support most email clients. (except those sending SMTP diret to
    destination as in mail servers)

    CollectorNZ, Feb 1, 2004
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:32:16 +1300, K & S
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:16:03 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    >>With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    >>with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    >>because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    >>e-mails are being scanned?

    >Why do you need to do this...?

    drongo

    GraB, Feb 2, 2004
  7. GraB

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:55:54 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:32:16 +1300, K & S
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:16:03 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    >>>With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    >>>with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    >>>because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    >>>e-mails are being scanned?

    >>Why do you need to do this...?
    >>

    >drongo

    Well I do not scan any mail and I don't get Viruses..

    Mind you I don't use MS stuff to read the mail so it seems like you are the
    Drongo..

    Only fools need this kind of stuff.

    K & S, Feb 2, 2004
  8. K & S wrote:
    > Well I do not scan any mail and I don't get Viruses..

    Notice how it was carefully said, not to suggest that he actually
    receives any mail, just that he doesnt scan any. :)

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2004
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    >>>Why do you need to do this...?
    >>>

    >>drongo

    >Well I do not scan any mail and I don't get Viruses..
    >
    >Mind you I don't use MS stuff to read the mail so it seems like you are the
    >Drongo..
    >
    >Only fools need this kind of stuff.

    Calypso and Eudora MS stuff? I don't even have Outlook installed.

    GraB, Feb 2, 2004
  10. GraB

    Keith Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:32:16 +1300, K & S
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:16:03 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>My AVG6 free edition is set to scan and certify e-mails, in and out.
    > >>With Eudora the certify footnote is there but there is no sign of it
    > >>with Calypso. Two e-mails to Grisoft to ask, but they won't answer
    > >>because it is the free version. Anyone know for sure that Calypso
    > >>e-mails are being scanned?

    RTFM RTFM RTFM

    From AVG help file:
    "Note: If you use a different e-mail program other than Microsoft
    Outlook, the error message on the button will read 'Non-Functional',
    because you are using an e-mail client not currently supported by AVG.
    Support for additional e-mail programs are being added all the time, so
    be sure you have the latest AVG updates."

    > >Why do you need to do this...?
    > >

    > drongo

    No he isn't. Why do you need to scan email? AVG only scans Outlook
    and a few other email clients (see above)but it doesn't mean it won't
    protect you with any other email clients. If you are foolish enough
    to open a file that has a virus AVG will detect it and kill it.

    Keith, Feb 2, 2004