    emergency rescue CD in the drive - should I expect it to scan that while its
    doing it?

    I don't know 100% the state of the machine when I created the rescue disk!
    ian field, Oct 4, 2010

  2. ian field

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:38:30 +0100, "ian field"
    <> wrote:

    >WinXP-SP3 - was AVGfree9, now AVGfree2011.
    >
    >Firstly, does AVG do an online scan? - if it does I can't find it.
    >
    >At this moment I'm running the bitdefender online scan - I've put the AVG
    >emergency rescue CD in the drive - should I expect it to scan that while its
    >doing it?
    >
    >I don't know 100% the state of the machine when I created the rescue disk!

    I don't understand what you are asking. Why would you do an online
    scan and rescue disk at the same time. Bit defender should do fine on
    its own. Also, download and run MS Security essentials.
    joevan, Oct 4, 2010

  3. ian field

    Mike Easter Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > WinXP-SP3 - was AVGfree9, now AVGfree2011.
    >
    > Firstly, does AVG do an online scan? - if it does I can't find it.

    The AVG site does not do an online scan.

    > At this moment I'm running the bitdefender online scan

    http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html

    - I've put the AVG
    > emergency rescue CD in the drive - should I expect it to scan that while its
    > doing it?

    Forum post about rescue CD
    http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=68967

    Rescue CD guide http://www.avg.com/ww-en/226386

    > I don't know 100% the state of the machine when I created the rescue disk!

    I can't imagine an infection strategy that would be able to 'get in
    there' into the .iso to modify it while you/ before you/ are burning the
    disk.

    I mean, I can imagine how to/ that one _could_/ do it, but I can't
    imagine some writer devising/employing such a strategy.

    Not that it is outlandish...

    .... anyway, I would assume the rescue cd is OK.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 4, 2010
  4. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > ian field wrote:
    >> WinXP-SP3 - was AVGfree9, now AVGfree2011.
    >>
    >> Firstly, does AVG do an online scan? - if it does I can't find it.

    > The AVG site does not do an online scan.
    >
    >> At this moment I'm running the bitdefender online scan

    > http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
    >
    > - I've put the AVG
    >> emergency rescue CD in the drive - should I expect it to scan that while
    >> its doing it?

    > Forum post about rescue CD
    > http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=68967
    >
    > Rescue CD guide http://www.avg.com/ww-en/226386
    >
    >> I don't know 100% the state of the machine when I created the rescue
    >> disk!

    > I can't imagine an infection strategy that would be able to 'get in there'
    > into the .iso to modify it while you/ before you/ are burning the disk.
    >
    > I mean, I can imagine how to/ that one _could_/ do it, but I can't imagine
    > some writer devising/employing such a strategy.
    >
    > Not that it is outlandish...
    >
    > ... anyway, I would assume the rescue cd is OK.

    That's handy - I ran the scan from the AVG rescue boot disk earlier, it
    looked as if it was going to take forever to do all the HDDs so I left it
    going until I recognised files from the second HDD and then invoked delete
    the infections located so far.

    The action I took was in response to a warning that my PC didn't have AV
    protection (it did last time I used it - FreeAVG9) after running the rescue
    disk scan, I installed the latest free AVG (Free AVG 2011) and checked for
    updates.

    So far the BitDefender scan information panel is showing;

    C:\Documents and Settings\Ian Field\Temp\nsq123t... Detected with ...

    The next line is the same path but with the message Delete failed

    I won't let me scroll sideways to see "Detected with" what - any
    suggestions?
    ian field, Oct 4, 2010
  5. ian field

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:30:41 +0100, "ian field"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> ian field wrote:
    >>> WinXP-SP3 - was AVGfree9, now AVGfree2011.
    >>>
    >>> Firstly, does AVG do an online scan? - if it does I can't find it.

    >> The AVG site does not do an online scan.
    >>
    >>> At this moment I'm running the bitdefender online scan

    >> http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
    >>
    >> - I've put the AVG
    >>> emergency rescue CD in the drive - should I expect it to scan that while
    >>> its doing it?

    >> Forum post about rescue CD
    >> http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=68967
    >>
    >> Rescue CD guide http://www.avg.com/ww-en/226386
    >>
    >>> I don't know 100% the state of the machine when I created the rescue
    >>> disk!

    >> I can't imagine an infection strategy that would be able to 'get in there'
    >> into the .iso to modify it while you/ before you/ are burning the disk.
    >>
    >> I mean, I can imagine how to/ that one _could_/ do it, but I can't imagine
    >> some writer devising/employing such a strategy.
    >>
    >> Not that it is outlandish...
    >>
    >> ... anyway, I would assume the rescue cd is OK.

    >That's handy - I ran the scan from the AVG rescue boot disk earlier, it
    >looked as if it was going to take forever to do all the HDDs so I left it
    >going until I recognised files from the second HDD and then invoked delete
    >the infections located so far.
    >
    >The action I took was in response to a warning that my PC didn't have AV
    >protection (it did last time I used it - FreeAVG9) after running the rescue
    >disk scan, I installed the latest free AVG (Free AVG 2011) and checked for
    >updates.
    >
    >So far the BitDefender scan information panel is showing;
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\Ian Field\Temp\nsq123t... Detected with ...
    >
    >The next line is the same path but with the message Delete failed
    >
    >I won't let me scroll sideways to see "Detected with" what - any
    >suggestions?

    Try the MS Security Essentials. It saved me once when I was doing an
    xp setup.
    joevan, Oct 4, 2010
  6. ian field

    Mike Easter Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    > That's handy - I ran the scan from the AVG rescue boot disk earlier, it
    > looked as if it was going to take forever to do all the HDDs so I left it
    > going until I recognised files from the second HDD and then invoked delete
    > the infections located so far.

    (I guess) That - what you said - means there were (some kind of)
    'agents' whether of little or great importance.

    That's like seeing a mouse means there are /more/ mice; unless it -
    what you saw - wasn't (really) a mouse but a shadow.

    It seems that sometimes people don't pay any attention to what an
    anti-malware tool finds, whether it is a cookie or an important virus.

    > The action I took was in response to a warning that my PC didn't have AV
    > protection (it did last time I used it - FreeAVG9) after running the rescue
    > disk scan, I installed the latest free AVG (Free AVG 2011) and checked for
    > updates.

    I don't know what the warning is supposed to mean or what gave you the
    warning.

    > So far the BitDefender scan information panel is showing;
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Ian Field\Temp\nsq123t... Detected with ...
    >
    > The next line is the same path but with the message Delete failed
    >
    > I won't let me scroll sideways to see "Detected with" what - any
    > suggestions?

    I wouldn't consider my work over. Plus you haven't done any bootsector
    scanning yet.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 4, 2010
  7. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > WinXP-SP3 - was AVGfree9, now AVGfree2011.
    >
    > Firstly, does AVG do an online scan? - if it does I can't find it.
    >
    > At this moment I'm running the bitdefender online scan - I've put the
    > AVG emergency rescue CD in the drive - should I expect it to scan that
    > while its doing it?
    >
    > I don't know 100% the state of the machine when I created the rescue
    > disk!

    Just use Symantec's. It's a full scan. There is *absolutely* no reason
    to do such a scan and a scan locally.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 5, 2010
  8. ian field

    > ian field wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"
    >> That's handy - I ran the scan from the AVG rescue boot disk earlier, it
    >> looked as if it was going to take forever to do all the HDDs so I left it
    >> going until I recognised files from the second HDD and then invoked
    >> delete the infections located so far.

    > (I guess) That - what you said - means there were (some kind of) 'agents'
    > whether of little or great importance.
    >
    > That's like seeing a mouse means there are /more/ mice; unless it - what
    > you saw - wasn't (really) a mouse but a shadow.
    >
    > It seems that sometimes people don't pay any attention to what an
    > anti-malware tool finds, whether it is a cookie or an important virus.
    >
    >> The action I took was in response to a warning that my PC didn't have AV
    >> protection (it did last time I used it - FreeAVG9) after running the
    >> rescue disk scan, I installed the latest free AVG (Free AVG 2011) and
    >> checked for updates.

    > I don't know what the warning is supposed to mean or what gave you the
    > warning.
    >
    >> So far the BitDefender scan information panel is showing;
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Ian Field\Temp\nsq123t... Detected with ...
    >>
    >> The next line is the same path but with the message Delete failed
    >>
    >> I won't let me scroll sideways to see "Detected with" what - any
    >> suggestions?

    > I wouldn't consider my work over. Plus you haven't done any bootsector
    > scanning yet.

    Exploring the (default) settings on the BitDefender online scanner would
    suggest otherwise.
    ian field, Oct 5, 2010
  9. ian field

    Mike Easter Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I wouldn't consider my work over. Plus you haven't done any bootsector
    >> scanning yet.

    > Exploring the (default) settings on the BitDefender online scanner would
    > suggest otherwise.

    Oh. The faq doesn't say much.

    http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/faq/ Frequently Asked Questions

    The faq only describes QuickScan which is the part/function which IDs
    currently active processes in a minute, not a full system scan.

    Apparently there isn't a faq for 'the rest' of the online scanner
    telling about things such as whether or not it does boot sector.

    One has to dig around in the forum to get anything and there isn't much
    there.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2010
  10. ian field

    > ian field wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> I wouldn't consider my work over. Plus you haven't done any bootsector
    >>> scanning yet.

    >> Exploring the (default) settings on the BitDefender online scanner would
    >> suggest otherwise.

    > Oh. The faq doesn't say much.
    >
    > http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/faq/ Frequently Asked Questions
    >
    > The faq only describes QuickScan which is the part/function which IDs
    > currently active processes in a minute, not a full system scan.
    >
    > Apparently there isn't a faq for 'the rest' of the online scanner telling
    > about things such as whether or not it does boot sector.
    >
    > One has to dig around in the forum to get anything and there isn't much
    > there.

    Before clicking "Scan now" I simply clicked "Scan settings", as boot sector
    scan was one of the boxes already checked I accepted the default.

    Its definately not Quick scan - the time left indicator is showing over 10
    hrs.
    ian field, Oct 5, 2010
  11. ian field

    Mike Easter Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Apparently there isn't a faq for 'the rest' of the online scanner telling
    >> about things such as whether or not it does boot sector.

    > Before clicking "Scan now" I simply clicked "Scan settings", as boot sector
    > scan was one of the boxes already checked I accepted the default.

    I finally found a little (old) 2007 'review' with screenshots to tell
    about BitDefender's Online tool. BD should provide more and current
    information at their site - instead of nothing but a QuickScan faq.

    http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1059 Guide to Online
    Antivirus Solutions Part 5: BitDefender Online Scanner

    The link to that article came from this article with links to 7 other
    free online scanners http://www.squidoo.com/onlinevirusscan How to scan
    your computer for viruses - online and free? -- Here is a list of 8
    different FREE online anti virus solutions from the leading computer
    security companies.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2010