    days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
    the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).

    Thanks
    Muse Groops, May 9, 2007

  2. Muse Groops

    Mike Easter Guest

    Muse Groops wrote:
    > I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
    > both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
    > days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
    > the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).

    Here's a website which does a lot of comparison. AVG and Avast were
    both/each judged in the 2nd of 4 different classes. The site did an
    'On-demand comparative' 2007 Feb and its results are here
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_02.php

    The front door is here, so it is good to read about what they do and how
    they do it http://www.av-comparatives.org/

    The comparisons involved

    Avast! Professional Edition 4.7
    AVG Anti-Malware 7.5
    AVIRA AntiVir Pers Ed Prem 7.03
    BitDefender Professional Plus 10
    Dr.Web for Windows 95-XP 4.33.2
    eScan Anti-Virus 8.0
    ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.70.23
    Fortinet FortiClient 3.0
    F-Prot for Windows 6.0.5.1
    F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.01
    G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 17.0
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2
    McAfee VirusScan 11.1
    Microsoft OneCare 1.5
    Norman Virus Control 5.82
    Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 14.0
    TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2.5

    and in 2007 Feb there were 6 agents in the top group, 8 in the 2nd group
    including Avast & AVG, 2 in the 3rd group and 1 at the bottom.

    In 2006 Nov, they did a 'Retrospective/ProActive Test' in which AVG pro
    was the only one at the bottom and Avast was one of 8 in the 3rd group.
    On that test there were 5 in the top group and one in the second.
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_11.php

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 9, 2007

  3. Muse Groops

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Wed, 09 May 2007 07:28:06 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Muse Groops Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And
    wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
    > both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
    > days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
    > the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).
    >
    > Thanks

    I believe it will be a personal preference. I ran each one of them
    for about 6 mo. each and settled for Avast. Have had no problems for
    over 2 1/2 years now. Happy camper with Avast Home addition.
    Good Luck.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, May 9, 2007
  4. Muse Groops

    Greg Guest

    Neither. Get Nod32.

    Greg, May 9, 2007
  5. Muse Groops

    Plato Guest

    Muse Groops wrote:

    > I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
    > both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
    > days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
    > the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).

    Kaspersky seems pretty light on resources:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/004.htm#1

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 10, 2007
  6. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    Greg wrote:
    > Neither. Get Nod32.

    Why?

    Muse Groops, May 10, 2007
  7. Muse Groops

    chuckie® Guest

    My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
    with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
    with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
    automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
    vigilant...just my two cents...
    chuckie®, May 10, 2007
  8. Muse Groops

    Guest

    Muse Groops <> wrote:

    >> Neither. Get Nod32.

    >Why?

    IMON, download something from this site (under collection)
    http://vx.netlux.org/ NOD32 will stop the download.

    Your AV will download it, and you have to scan the file or run it to
    be warned.
    --
    WOW is a feeling
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MlrvqF8rWM
  9. Muse Groops

    Guest

    On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckie®" <> wrote:
    > My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
    > with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
    > with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
    > automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
    > vigilant...just my two cents...

    I use Avast and all of that seems to be true, although I wonder if the
    security updates from Microsoft alone gives adequate protection.
    , May 10, 2007
  10. Muse Groops

    Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckie®" <> wrote:
    >> My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
    >> with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
    >> with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
    >> automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
    >> vigilant...just my two cents...

    >I use Avast and all of that seems to be true, although I wonder if the
    >security updates from Microsoft alone gives adequate protection.

    I really haven't downloaded any updates, I have it turned off in fact.
    The only one I remember was for the WFM exploit; Oh ya and the one to
    fix DST (notice a lot of posters time is off in this group)

    Right or wrong, it's how I manage my machine, if it's not broke don't
    let MS screw with it - I don't have WGA installed :)

    I of course have SP2 installed, and will pry install SP3 when it comes
    along.

    --
    WOW is a feeling
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MlrvqF8rWM
    , May 10, 2007
  11. Muse Groops

    Guest

    , May 10, 2007
  12. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckie®" <> wrote:
    >> My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
    >> with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
    >> with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
    >> automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
    >> vigilant...just my two cents...

    > I use Avast and all of that seems to be true, although I wonder if the
    > security updates from Microsoft alone gives adequate protection.

    did I read you correctly, your question is if the security updates from
    MS ALONE with NO AV giving adequate protection?

    you've got to be kidding
    Muse Groops, May 10, 2007
  13. Muse Groops

    ANON Guest

    wrote :

    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckie®" <> wrote:
    >>> My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but
    >>> it came with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP),
    >>> EZTrust AV (free with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up,
    >>> gets 'upgrades' automatically, but tells me when it does so, and
    >>> seems to be very vigilant...just my two cents...

    >>I use Avast and all of that seems to be true, although I wonder if
    >>the security updates from Microsoft alone gives adequate protection.

    > I really haven't downloaded any updates, I have it turned off in
    > fact. The only one I remember was for the WFM exploit; Oh ya and the
    > one to fix DST (notice a lot of posters time is off in this group)
    >
    > Right or wrong, it's how I manage my machine, if it's not broke don't
    > let MS screw with it - I don't have WGA installed :)
    >
    > I of course have SP2 installed, and will pry install SP3 when it
    > comes along.

    How soon will that be?

    I thought they were coming out with a new OS completely.
    ANON, May 10, 2007
  14. Muse Groops

    Guest

    ANON <> wrote:

    >> I of course have SP2 installed, and will pry install SP3 when it
    >> comes along.

    >How soon will that be?

    Lot of rumors and false leads,but the best way to find out if and when
    it's released is in: alt.os.windows-xp

    --
    Paperback Writer
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmF7wb2pIiM
  15. Muse Groops

    Guest

    On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckie®" <> wrote:
    > My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
    > with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
    > with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
    > automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
    > vigilant...just my two cents...

    Has anyone used Avast network version, the suite that you can let one
    server manage all the connected clients in a domain?

    I think it is called the Avast Distributed Network Manager (ADNM).

    Thanks ...
    , May 17, 2007