AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by half_pint, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!

    I ran a virus scan today with an uptoday version
    of AGV 6 virus software. Fine, no viruses detected.
    I then decided to run it on my old hard drive (d:)which
    I had connected as a slave drive.
    Result virus found!!!

    This was a surprise because my old drive was a copy
    of my current drive!!!
    Anyway the virus/trojan was "startpage" or startpage.DG
    or whatever it is called (it's 'harmless' one), it
    was hiding in
    d:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo.exe
    (57,244 bytes)

    I then went back to my c: drive and checked in this location and
    sure enough the same file was there and it was reported as a virus
    with an *individual* AGV file scan.
    I was a bit shocked at this so I ran a complete check on my c:drive
    again (Opened AGV and clicked 'run complete test' (although it appears
    to only check your main drive anyway!) and it ran its check on
    drive c:, - result - no viruses found!! even though an individual
    check on the file (which I did not remove) shows it to be a
    virus/trojan!!.

    So it appears AGV virus software is *serioously* flawed!!!!

    I believe I knew about this virus for some time as I had removed
    most of it before with some anti-hijack software so it did not
    affect my computer.

    However I was shocked to discover that AGV's virus scan missed it
    completely!
    AGV's anti virus appears to have a *serious* flaw in it.

    --
    regards half_pint.

    half_pint, Feb 8, 2004

  2. half_pint wrote:

    > AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    >
    > I ran a virus scan today with an uptoday version
    > of AGV 6 virus software. Fine, no viruses detected.
    > I then decided to run it on my old hard drive (d:)which
    > I had connected as a slave drive.
    > Result virus found!!!
    >
    > This was a surprise because my old drive was a copy
    > of my current drive!!!
    > Anyway the virus/trojan was "startpage" or startpage.DG
    > or whatever it is called (it's 'harmless' one), it
    > was hiding in
    > d:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo.exe
    > (57,244 bytes)
    >
    > I then went back to my c: drive and checked in this location and
    > sure enough the same file was there and it was reported as a virus
    > with an *individual* AGV file scan.
    > I was a bit shocked at this so I ran a complete check on my c:drive
    > again (Opened AGV and clicked 'run complete test' (although it appears
    > to only check your main drive anyway!) and it ran its check on
    > drive c:, - result - no viruses found!! even though an individual
    > check on the file (which I did not remove) shows it to be a
    > virus/trojan!!.
    >
    > So it appears AGV virus software is *serioously* flawed!!!!
    >
    > I believe I knew about this virus for some time as I had removed
    > most of it before with some anti-hijack software so it did not
    > affect my computer.
    >
    > However I was shocked to discover that AGV's virus scan missed it
    > completely!
    > AGV's anti virus appears to have a *serious* flaw in it.

    If you've removed most of it, could it be that you removed most of it
    after making the backup?

    What I suspect you are seeing is a flaw which also exists in Sophos. By
    default, only the first few k of each file is scanned. Scheduled and
    on-demand scans should always be run with full scanning selected,
    otherwise there's no point.

    I've seen viruses lay dormant on backup drives for months, if not years.
    The files are never accessed normally, so there is nothing to trigger
    on-access virus checking and on-demand scanning just kept missing them
    after being setup incorrectly.

    Having said that, I would recommend you submit the infected file to AVG
    just to be sure it's not a slightly different version of the virus,
    explaining what you have seen happen.

    --
    Richard Kirkcaldy

    Richard Kirkcaldy, Feb 8, 2004

  3. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    "Richard Kirkcaldy" <> wrote in message
    > half_pint wrote:
    >
    > > AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    > >
    > > I ran a virus scan today with an uptoday version
    > > of AGV 6 virus software. Fine, no viruses detected.
    > > I then decided to run it on my old hard drive (d:)which
    > > I had connected as a slave drive.
    > > Result virus found!!!
    > >
    > > This was a surprise because my old drive was a copy
    > > of my current drive!!!
    > > Anyway the virus/trojan was "startpage" or startpage.DG
    > > or whatever it is called (it's 'harmless' one), it
    > > was hiding in
    > > d:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo.exe
    > > (57,244 bytes)
    > >
    > > I then went back to my c: drive and checked in this location and
    > > sure enough the same file was there and it was reported as a virus
    > > with an *individual* AGV file scan.
    > > I was a bit shocked at this so I ran a complete check on my c:drive
    > > again (Opened AGV and clicked 'run complete test' (although it appears
    > > to only check your main drive anyway!) and it ran its check on
    > > drive c:, - result - no viruses found!! even though an individual
    > > check on the file (which I did not remove) shows it to be a
    > > virus/trojan!!.
    > >
    > > So it appears AGV virus software is *serioously* flawed!!!!
    > >
    > > I believe I knew about this virus for some time as I had removed
    > > most of it before with some anti-hijack software so it did not
    > > affect my computer.
    > >
    > > However I was shocked to discover that AGV's virus scan missed it
    > > completely!
    > > AGV's anti virus appears to have a *serious* flaw in it.
    > >

    > If you've removed most of it, could it be that you removed most of it
    > after making the backup?

    No I very much doubt it.
    I doubt I would have backed up a malfuncioning machine and I can't
    seem to find anyother traces of the virus on the old drive (quick check)
    assuming it is the same virus (both seemed to redirect searchs IIRC)

    > What I suspect you are seeing is a flaw which also exists in Sophos. By
    > default, only the first few k of each file is scanned. Scheduled and
    > on-demand scans should always be run with full scanning selected,
    > otherwise there's no point.

    When I scanned the old d: drive it reported scanning 1.4ish meg
    of a 2gig disc with 530 gig free.(seemed to do it all)
    When I scanned the new c: drive (3gig) it only reported scanning a gig
    or so which means it missed about a gig as it has about 850meg free.

    > I've seen viruses lay dormant on backup drives for months, if not years.
    > The files are never accessed normally, so there is nothing to trigger
    > on-access virus checking and on-demand scanning just kept missing them
    > after being setup incorrectly.

    Well I clicked 'run complete test' "which tests all drives" (it didn't
    it only partially checked c: ) so thats a definite fault for a start!!!

    > Having said that, I would recommend you submit the infected file to AVG
    > just to be sure it's not a slightly different version of the virus,
    > explaining what you have seen happen

    I sent off a report, although I was a bit suspicious when it tried to
    access the internet in the background (sneakilly), I wouldn't let it!!
    It sends it by email (although that failed when I stopped AGV) but
    I posted it manually anyway.

    --
    ---------------
    regards half_pint

    half_pint, Feb 8, 2004
  4. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    > Having said that, I would recommend you submit the infected file to AVG
    > just to be sure it's not a slightly different version of the virus,
    > explaining what you have seen happen.

    I did send a report but they told me to bugger off because I
    use the free version!!

    half_pint, Feb 8, 2004
  5. half_pint

    > half_pint wrote:
    >
    > > AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    > >
    > > I ran a virus scan today with an uptoday version
    > > of AGV 6 virus software. Fine, no viruses detected.
    > > I then decided to run it on my old hard drive (d:)which
    > > I had connected as a slave drive.
    > > Result virus found!!!
    > >
    > > This was a surprise because my old drive was a copy
    > > of my current drive!!!
    > > Anyway the virus/trojan was "startpage" or startpage.DG
    > > or whatever it is called (it's 'harmless' one), it
    > > was hiding in
    > > d:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo.exe
    > > (57,244 bytes)
    > >
    > > I then went back to my c: drive and checked in this location and
    > > sure enough the same file was there and it was reported as a virus
    > > with an *individual* AGV file scan.
    > > I was a bit shocked at this so I ran a complete check on my c:drive
    > > again (Opened AGV and clicked 'run complete test' (although it appears
    > > to only check your main drive anyway!) and it ran its check on
    > > drive c:, - result - no viruses found!! even though an individual
    > > check on the file (which I did not remove) shows it to be a
    > > virus/trojan!!.
    > >
    > > So it appears AGV virus software is *serioously* flawed!!!!
    > >
    > > I believe I knew about this virus for some time as I had removed
    > > most of it before with some anti-hijack software so it did not
    > > affect my computer.
    > >
    > > However I was shocked to discover that AGV's virus scan missed it
    > > completely!
    > > AGV's anti virus appears to have a *serious* flaw in it.
    > >

    > If you've removed most of it, could it be that you removed most of it
    > after making the backup?

    I actually remember using the virus scan to compare the speeds
    of the two drive because it reports the time it takes to complete
    the scan.
    Neither reported the virus, and both disks were conected
    seperately as master.
    I thought a scan would be a good clock as both disks were identical.
    however I an unsure of the results now (my new drive was quicker,
    as I expected (but it's a bloddy noisy bugger too!!).
    Interestingly the file in question has a creation date of 11/5/98
    which is the same as all bar one of the other files in the
    directory, which is odd to say the least.
    I bet if it get a copy from microsoft it will fail the scan too!!

    half_pint, Feb 9, 2004
  6. half_pint

    JT Guest

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:26:15 -0000, "half_pint" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >Interestingly the file in question has a creation date of 11/5/98
    >which is the same as all bar one of the other files in the
    >directory, which is odd to say the least.
    >I bet if it get a copy from microsoft it will fail the scan too!!
    >

    >> What I suspect you are seeing is a flaw which also exists in Sophos. By
    >> default, only the first few k of each file is scanned. Scheduled and
    >> on-demand scans should always be run with full scanning selected,
    >> otherwise there's no point.
    >>
    >> I've seen viruses lay dormant on backup drives for months, if not years.
    >> The files are never accessed normally, so there is nothing to trigger
    >> on-access virus checking and on-demand scanning just kept missing them
    >> after being setup incorrectly.
    >>
    >> Having said that, I would recommend you submit the infected file to AVG
    >> just to be sure it's not a slightly different version of the virus,

    Try one or both of these online virus scanners
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
    http://housecall.antivirus.com

    Also look at the Avast antivirus program www.avast.com I use it and AVG
    (on different computers). Avast seems to have a slicker interface, and I
    like the way it updates better.

    JT

    JT, Feb 9, 2004
  7. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    "JT" <datacare@www> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:26:15 -0000, "half_pint" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Richard Kirkcaldy" <> wrote in message

    appears

    > >> If you've removed most of it, could it be that you removed most of it
    > >> after making the backup?

    > >I actually remember using the virus scan to compare the speeds
    > >of the two drive because it reports the time it takes to complete
    > >the scan.
    > >Neither reported the virus, and both disks were conected
    > >seperately as master.
    > >I thought a scan would be a good clock as both disks were identical.
    > >however I an unsure of the results now (my new drive was quicker,
    > >as I expected (but it's a bloddy noisy bugger too!!).
    > >Interestingly the file in question has a creation date of 11/5/98
    > >which is the same as all bar one of the other files in the
    > >directory, which is odd to say the least.
    > >I bet if it get a copy from microsoft it will fail the scan too!!

    I know believe it is not a true MS file anyway.

    > >> What I suspect you are seeing is a flaw which also exists in Sophos.

    By
    > >> default, only the first few k of each file is scanned. Scheduled and
    > >> on-demand scans should always be run with full scanning selected,
    > >> otherwise there's no point.
    > >>
    > >> I've seen viruses lay dormant on backup drives for months, if not

    years.
    > >> The files are never accessed normally, so there is nothing to trigger
    > >> on-access virus checking and on-demand scanning just kept missing them
    > >> after being setup incorrectly.
    > >>
    > >> Having said that, I would recommend you submit the infected file to AVG
    > >> just to be sure it's not a slightly different version of the virus,
    > >> explaining what you have seen happen.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Richard Kirkcaldy

    > Try one or both of these online virus scanners
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
    > http://housecall.antivirus.com

    I may do but they tend to take a while.
    AGV finds it if I do an *individual* check on it, but not during a scan.
    Well I am downloading it now, its going to take a long time!!
    (I am sure it will probably work?)

    half_pint, Feb 9, 2004
  8. half_pint

    donutbandit Guest

    "half_pint" <> wrote in news:c06o6k$13k4fd$1@ID-
    204080.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > I may do but they tend to take a while.
    > AGV finds it if I do an *individual* check on it, but not during a scan.
    > Well I am downloading it now, its going to take a long time!!
    > (I am sure it will probably work?)

    You've continually misnamed the antivirus software throughout these posts.
    That tends to set off alarms.

    donutbandit, Feb 9, 2004
  9. half_pint

    Ken Russell Guest

    I use AVG free version and I was quite happy with it until read this thread.

    I just ran HouseCall and it found Mydoom.dam in one of my zip backup files
    on my backup partition. Before deleting it I then ran AVG on the infected
    file and it found nothing.

    Now that's a definite worry :-(

    Strangely, the virus wasn't present in the original files.

    --
    Ken Russell

    "half_pint" <> wrote in message
    | AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    |
    | I ran a virus scan today with an uptoday version
    | of AGV 6 virus software. Fine, no viruses detected.
    | I then decided to run it on my old hard drive (d:)which
    | I had connected as a slave drive.
    | Result virus found!!!
    |
    | This was a surprise because my old drive was a copy
    | of my current drive!!!
    | Anyway the virus/trojan was "startpage" or startpage.DG
    | or whatever it is called (it's 'harmless' one), it
    | was hiding in
    | d:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo.exe
    | (57,244 bytes)
    |
    | I then went back to my c: drive and checked in this location and
    | sure enough the same file was there and it was reported as a virus
    | with an *individual* AGV file scan.
    | I was a bit shocked at this so I ran a complete check on my c:drive
    | again (Opened AGV and clicked 'run complete test' (although it appears
    | to only check your main drive anyway!) and it ran its check on
    | drive c:, - result - no viruses found!! even though an individual
    | check on the file (which I did not remove) shows it to be a
    | virus/trojan!!.
    |
    | So it appears AGV virus software is *serioously* flawed!!!!
    |
    | I believe I knew about this virus for some time as I had removed
    | most of it before with some anti-hijack software so it did not
    | affect my computer.
    |
    | However I was shocked to discover that AGV's virus scan missed it
    | completely!
    | AGV's anti virus appears to have a *serious* flaw in it.
    |
    | --
    | regards half_pint.

    ---

    Ken Russell, Feb 9, 2004
  10. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    "donutbandit" <> wrote in message
    > "half_pint" <> wrote in news:c06o6k$13k4fd$1@ID-
    > 204080.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > I may do but they tend to take a while.
    > > AGV finds it if I do an *individual* check on it, but not during a scan.
    > > Well I am downloading it now, its going to take a long time!!
    > > (I am sure it will probably work?)
    > >

    > You've continually misnamed the antivirus software throughout these posts.
    > That tends to set off alarms.

    In the mind[sic]of pedantic spel checkers prehaps

    half_pint, Feb 9, 2004
  11. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    It seems if you do not have AVG's control centre activated you
    cannot tell what the 'complete test' is testing, in my case it turned out
    to be just windows.
    I assumed it was drive c: (at least), apparently not if you have
    previously set it to run a selective test using the control centre.
    Unless you can remember what you did 3 months ago you have
    no idea what the complete test is doing unless you activate the control
    centre and look. I prefer to not activate the control centre as I dont
    want AVG running in my system tray.

    "Ken Russell" <> wrote in message
    > OK I have since found that Mydoom.dam is a damaged non-working version of
    > the Mydoom Worm.
    >
    > So the interesting question now is; Which was more correct, AVG for not
    > reporting it or HouseCall for raising the alarm? I say the alarm was

    false

    half_pint, Feb 9, 2004
  12. "half_pint" <> wrote in

    > Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
    > Subject: Re: AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    > From: "half_pint" <>
    > Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:18:37 -0000
    >
    > It seems if you do not have AVG's control centre activated you
    > cannot tell what the 'complete test' is testing, in my case it
    > turned out to be just windows.
    > I assumed it was drive c: (at least), apparently not if you have
    > previously set it to run a selective test using the control
    > centre. Unless you can remember what you did 3 months ago you
    > have no idea what the complete test is doing unless you activate
    > the control centre and look. I prefer to not activate the
    > control centre as I dont want AVG running in my system tray.

    Does not compute: the AVG6 Control Centre is *not* where the scope
    of an AVG6 scan is set. The scope of a Complete Scan is set using
    the Complete Test Settings menu of the AVGW.EXE program, which is
    where you initiate a complete scan by clicking the Run Complete
    Test button or schedule an automatic Complete Test using the
    Scheduler button.

    Frank le Spikkin, Feb 9, 2004
  13. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    "Frank le Spikkin" <> wrote in message
    > "half_pint" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
    > > Subject: Re: AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    > > From: "half_pint" <>
    > > Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:18:37 -0000
    > >
    > > It seems if you do not have AVG's control centre activated you
    > > cannot tell what the 'complete test' is testing, in my case it
    > > turned out to be just windows.
    > > I assumed it was drive c: (at least), apparently not if you have
    > > previously set it to run a selective test using the control
    > > centre. Unless you can remember what you did 3 months ago you
    > > have no idea what the complete test is doing unless you activate
    > > the control centre and look. I prefer to not activate the
    > > control centre as I dont want AVG running in my system tray.
    > >

    > Does not compute: the AVG6 Control Centre is *not* where the scope
    > of an AVG6 scan is set. The scope of a Complete Scan is set using
    > the Complete Test Settings menu of the AVGW.EXE program, which is
    > where you initiate a complete scan by clicking the Run Complete
    > Test button or schedule an automatic Complete Test using the
    > Scheduler button.

    I seems I was wrong there, it doesn't appear to be in the controol centre,
    however I only found it after activating the control centre although
    I had looked several times before for a scan set-up menu.
    There is not a 'complete test settings menu' as such, it is on the
    'service' menu (whatever that is) I don't have a car which I require
    serviceing anyway. Perhaps my eye was drawn to 'Program settings'?
    Any way shouldn't it say "Run Complete Partial Test?
    I though 'complete' implied full and inclusive, especially when
    you have a 'complete test' and a 'custom test' on the tests menu.
    What is the point of that?
    Perhaps the person who designed it had some kind of brain injury.

    half_pint, Feb 9, 2004