AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by I-zheet M'drurz, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. AVG Free Version 7.0.296
    Virus db is current
    Windows ME
    Plenty of RAM and HD space
    Had an older version of AVG free running before I needed to
    do a WinME reinstall (it worked), I've totally wiped that.

    Appears AVG is not launching at startup, can't find a switch
    to make that happenm thought it was supposed to be automatic.

    Can launch main program manually, it will check for updates,
    scan the system, but you click the "Control Center" button
    and you get an hourglass for ~5 seconds, no launch of CC,
    no stray processes reported in task manager (it's not hung up).

    TIA for any guidance.

    PS- - tried running the install program again and selecting the
    "FIX" option, no change. Also have removed and re-installed a
    few times, no change,

    --
    The real Tom Pendergast a I-zheet M'drurz
    I-zheet M'drurz, Dec 31, 2004

  2. I-zheet M'drurz

    Noel Paton Guest

    This looks very much as if you're infected with one of the more vicious
    worms -
    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    -download and run the Syncline Package from here
    and follow the instructions on use
    See if that finds anything

    What's in the MSCONFIG|Startup listing for AVG?
    Do you have another AV installed? - Two AV's running together is not a good
    idea!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

    Noel Paton, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    For anybody following or Googling later, a followup report:

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > This looks very much as if you're infected with one of the more
    > vicious worms -
    > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
    > A-V-disabling viruses are not present on your PC
    > http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    Didn't show a thing. I went right to McAfee for the download
    (being a little suspicious of things like this) and -- I'll be
    damned lol -- they send you to the site you list for an update
    of their download!

    > -download and run the Syncline Package from here
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
    > and follow the instructions on use
    > See if that finds anything

    Lots of work for that one, but I RTFM, d/l'd all needed files and
    ran it. Zippo. Nice big fluffy logfile, though <g>.

    > What's in the MSCONFIG|Startup listing for AVG?

    There were a couple of leftover entries...

    > Do you have another AV installed? - Two AV's running together is
    > not a good idea!

    Just that previous version of AVG, so I was really leaning towards
    these remnants being the problem.

    One step I took next was a visit to Panda for an Active-X remote
    scan. It turned up 2 files that didn't seem to be related to this
    problem. Deleted them, just in case.

    Last step was to get into regedit and search/destroy everything
    that had 'AVG' string in it. Did that, all refereces to AVG in
    MSCONFIG vanished. Reinstalled AVG, it worked.

    Who knows?

    --
    The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
    aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
    I-zheet M'drurz, Jan 2, 2005
  4. I-zheet M'drurz

    Noel Paton Guest

    Re: Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    > Last step was to get into regedit and search/destroy everything
    > that had 'AVG' string in it. Did that, all refereces to AVG in
    > MSCONFIG vanished. Reinstalled AVG, it worked.
    >
    > Who knows?

    Hmm - thanks for the feedback!
    I've not seen that problem with AVG in any of the dozen or so upgrades from
    v6free to v7free that I've done.
    How did you do the upgrade? - did you uninstall first, then install the new
    version? - or did you install over-the-top and allow v7 to remove the v6
    files during the install? (FWIW, I've used both methods without problems)
    What's the OS?

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Re: Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    Noel Paton wrote:

    OS is WinME.

    I did a clumsy replacement/shifting of hard drives which resulted
    in a "frustration-based-totally-clean-new-re-install" of ME.

    I Still had the installation .exe for the old version of AVG
    sitting around, so figured I would just run it again under the new
    OS install and then let it upgrade itself on-line. Nope. Grisoft
    changed setup methods over the years, the old version wouldn't
    install.

    Went to Grisoft and d/l'd the new freebie version, tried to
    install it, that's where we came in before. I'm guessing either
    the old ProgramFiles/AVG folder or the old registry entries got
    into the mix somehow, 'cause I never attempted to cleanup after
    either the abandoned version *or* the aborted attempt at
    installing the old version on my new OS.

    FWIW, I've been using AVG for a long time, no complaints. In
    fact, my old version might have even been *5* free.

    I-zheet M'drurz, Jan 2, 2005
  6. I-zheet M'drurz

    Noel Paton Guest

    Re: Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    "I-zheet M'drurz" <> wrote in message
    <snip because of redundancy!>

    Oh - this looks like a severe case of 'user-failure' rather than anything
    else - AVG6 has been out for at least couple of years, and AFAIK, the
    interface informs you of the 'problem' that may exist ( I don't know - I've
    never tried installing over something that came out of the ark!!)
    You really do have to learn that ANY AV - without exception, be they
    freeware, shareware, or rip-off-ware (AKA Norton) is useless unless the
    latest updates are installed and ****functional****

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Re: Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > ... AVG6 has been out for at least couple of years,
    > and AFAIK, the interface informs you of the 'problem' that may
    > exist ( I don't know - I've never tried installing over
    > something that came out of the ark!!) You really do have to
    > learn that ANY AV - without exception, be they freeware,
    > shareware, or rip-off-ware (AKA Norton) is useless unless the
    > latest updates are installed and ****functional****

    Sorry to have misled you: I've been doing the updates all along,
    both to the program itself and to the virus database. Up until
    I clean re-installed ME, I had a current, functional version of
    AVG running.

    The "Ark version" came into play when I tried to reinstall using
    the same install executable that I used ??months ago. I knew it
    would instantly try to update itself once I got it installed.
    But again, AVG had since changed the install/registration
    protocol, so my old install.exe wouldn't work.

    I-zheet M'drurz, Jan 2, 2005
  8. I-zheet M'drurz

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> ... AVG6 has been out for at least couple of years,
    >> and AFAIK, the interface informs you of the 'problem' that may
    >> exist ( I don't know - I've never tried installing over
    >> something that came out of the ark!!) You really do have to
    >> learn that ANY AV - without exception, be they freeware,
    >> shareware, or rip-off-ware (AKA Norton) is useless unless the
    >> latest updates are installed and ****functional****

    > Sorry to have misled you: I've been doing the updates all along,
    > both to the program itself and to the virus database. Up until
    > I clean re-installed ME, I had a current, functional version of
    > AVG running.
    >
    > The "Ark version" came into play when I tried to reinstall using
    > the same install executable that I used ??months ago. I knew it
    > would instantly try to update itself once I got it installed.
    > But again, AVG had since changed the install/registration
    > protocol, so my old install.exe wouldn't work.

    The install does still work - I tried it a couple of days ago! (I've also
    previously installed 6month old downloads of AVG on a system without
    problems - beyond the obvious 15MB or so update over dialup!)

    If this is truly the problem (i.e., you reinstalled ME from a clean HD a
    couple of days ago), the I suspect that you may have severe problems -
    either a boot virus, or a set of floppies that is infected.

    The other option is something that I found only today - there's a
    possibility that the upgrade didn't go smoothly, and that the registry is
    still looking for the old program (I'm awating some data on possible
    reasons)
    If this is the case, what worked for someone else, may work for you.......
    (note - this is untested, so back up your registry before applying!)
    ..
    Uninstall AVG from Safe Mode - then
    <quote>
    > Last step was to get into regedit and search/destroy everything
    > that had 'AVG' string in it. Did that, all refereces to AVG in
    > MSCONFIG vanished. Reinstalled AVG, it worked.

    </quote>

    HTH - and Good Luck!!!
    (PLEASE let me know how it comes out - either way!)

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Re: Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > "I-zheet M'drurz" <>

    > The install does still work - I tried it a couple of days ago!

    Well, the one I tried was looking for a "registration number"
    that was either sent out via e-mail at the time (no longer had
    it) *or* you could follow a link to the AVG site and get a #.
    Only trouble is that the URL for the reg # was/is now a dead end,
    thus I couldn't use the old V6 or V5 install exe.

    > (I've also previously installed 6month old downloads of AVG on a
    > system without problems - beyond the obvious 15MB or so update
    > over dialup!)

    Which is what I was trying to avoid by usine the old install
    download!

    > If this is ...
    > If this is the case...

    Maybe, not anymore!!!!!

    > <quote>
    >> Last step was to get into regedit and search/destroy
    >> everything that had 'AVG' string in it. Did that, all
    >> refereces to AVG in MSCONFIG vanished. Reinstalled AVG,
    >> it worked.

    ^^^^^^^^
    > (PLEASE let me know how it comes out - either way!)

    IT WORKED!!!!! YESTERDAY!!! lol
    Sorry we are having a communications problem?

    I-zheet M'drurz, Jan 2, 2005
  10. I-zheet M'drurz

    pete Guest

    Re: Results -- Re: AVG (virus prot) free edition won'r run Control Center

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:52:52 -0000, "Noel Paton"
    <> wrote:

    >"I-zheet M'drurz" <> wrote in message
    >> Noel Paton wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... AVG6 has been out for at least couple of years,
    >>> and AFAIK, the interface informs you of the 'problem' that may
    >>> exist ( I don't know - I've never tried installing over
    >>> something that came out of the ark!!) You really do have to
    >>> learn that ANY AV - without exception, be they freeware,
    >>> shareware, or rip-off-ware (AKA Norton) is useless unless the
    >>> latest updates are installed and ****functional****

    >> Sorry to have misled you: I've been doing the updates all along,
    >> both to the program itself and to the virus database. Up until
    >> I clean re-installed ME, I had a current, functional version of
    >> AVG running.
    >>
    >> The "Ark version" came into play when I tried to reinstall using
    >> the same install executable that I used ??months ago. I knew it
    >> would instantly try to update itself once I got it installed.
    >> But again, AVG had since changed the install/registration
    >> protocol, so my old install.exe wouldn't work.
    >>

    >The install does still work - I tried it a couple of days ago! (I've also
    >previously installed 6month old downloads of AVG on a system without
    >problems - beyond the obvious 15MB or so update over dialup!)
    >
    >If this is truly the problem (i.e., you reinstalled ME from a clean HD a
    >couple of days ago), the I suspect that you may have severe problems -
    >either a boot virus, or a set of floppies that is infected.
    >
    >The other option is something that I found only today - there's a
    >possibility that the upgrade didn't go smoothly, and that the registry is
    >still looking for the old program (I'm awating some data on possible
    >reasons)
    >If this is the case, what worked for someone else, may work for you.......
    >(note - this is untested, so back up your registry before applying!)
    >.
    >Uninstall AVG from Safe Mode - then
    ><quote>
    >> Last step was to get into regedit and search/destroy everything
    >> that had 'AVG' string in it. Did that, all refereces to AVG in
    >> MSCONFIG vanished. Reinstalled AVG, it worked.

    ></quote>

    You may understand this http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/avg7.htm
    I don't and as AVG 7 was not working with XP and OE and mailwasher for
    me I just junked it off both my machines and downloaded Avast. It is
    important, so I am told, to make sure AVG is turned off before junking
    it and then go through your program files as some of it will not go
    using the normal procedure for junking a program. That is only my
    experience though and you may be luckier than me.
    pete
    pete, Jan 2, 2005
  11. I-zheet M'drurz

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> "I-zheet M'drurz" <>

    >> The install does still work - I tried it a couple of days ago!

    > Well, the one I tried was looking for a "registration number"
    > that was either sent out via e-mail at the time (no longer had
    > it) *or* you could follow a link to the AVG site and get a #.
    > Only trouble is that the URL for the reg # was/is now a dead end,
    > thus I couldn't use the old V6 or V5 install exe.
    >
    >> (I've also previously installed 6month old downloads of AVG on a
    >> system without problems - beyond the obvious 15MB or so update
    >> over dialup!)

    > Which is what I was trying to avoid by usine the old install
    > download!

    If your download was asking for a registration number then you have the
    wrong download.

    Either you have the paid-for version, or you have an old AVG6 download -
    what's the filename?

    There is NO POINT in installing either AVG 5 or AVG6 - neither is supported
    any longer, and no updated references will be available.

    Noel Paton, Jan 3, 2005