AVG Virus Detection Software: Opinions On ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Over the years, I've tried, and have had all sorts of problems with McAfee
    virus
    detection software, and also Norton's.

    Norton's System Works I won't even mention all the really major problems
    with.

    Still, I guess I need something.

    Any opinions on the AVG free offering ?

    Others ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    AVG will NOT give you adequate protection. It fails
    miserably at detection and identification (it guesses
    when it is unsure) compared to decent antivirus
    solutions. It can screw up your email settings; it's a
    third-rate antivirus solution, at best. The ONLY good
    thing about it is the price. My advice is, if your data
    is worth protecting, it's worth paying for a product
    that will actually do that.

    I recommend Kaspersky (there is none better, IMO):
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:13:49 -0500, in
    <>
    Robert11 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Ron Martell Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote:

    >AVG will NOT give you adequate protection. It fails
    >miserably at detection and identification (it guesses
    >when it is unsure) compared to decent antivirus
    >solutions. It can screw up your email settings; it's a
    >third-rate antivirus solution, at best. The ONLY good
    >thing about it is the price. My advice is, if your data
    >is worth protecting, it's worth paying for a product
    >that will actually do that.

    I think you are talking about Norton and not AVG

    >I recommend Kaspersky (there is none better, IMO):
    >http://www.kaspersky.com/

    And it will really slow down your computer too. Almost as bad as
    Norton or McAfee in that regard.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Over the years, I've tried, and have had all sorts of problems with McAfee
    >virus
    >detection software, and also Norton's.
    >
    > Norton's System Works I won't even mention all the really major problems
    >with.
    >
    >Still, I guess I need something.
    >
    >Any opinions on the AVG free offering ?
    >
    >Others ?

    I have used AVG for several years now and it has never failed me. I
    do get a "second opinion" occasionally by doing an online virus scan
    at one of the free sites such as http://housecall.trendmicro.com or

    It has been known to miss the occasional newly released virus, but
    pretty much every a.v. program does this from time to time.

    I consider the free AVG to be worth considerably more than you pay for
    it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:46:57 GMT, in
    <>
    Ron Martell scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote:
    >
    >>AVG will NOT give you adequate protection. It fails
    >>miserably at detection and identification (it guesses
    >>when it is unsure) compared to decent antivirus
    >>solutions. It can screw up your email settings; it's a
    >>third-rate antivirus solution, at best. The ONLY good
    >>thing about it is the price. My advice is, if your data
    >>is worth protecting, it's worth paying for a product
    >>that will actually do that.

    >I think you are talking about Norton and not AVG

    No, I am talking about that OTHER pile of junk, AVG.

    >>I recommend Kaspersky (there is none better, IMO):
    >>http://www.kaspersky.com/
    >>

    >And it will really slow down your computer too. Almost as
    >bad as Norton or McAfee in that regard.

    To quote a well-known contributer to this group:
    "Balderdash, hogwash and malarkey!"

    Kaspersky does not slow your system down one iota,
    providing you disable the scanner, and only use it
    "on demand". Note I said scanner, and not monitor.
    I've had it on my system for a very long time, and I
    have NEVER noticed any slow down -- there is no
    appreciable difference to it not being installed at all.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:50:07 GMT, in
    <>
    Ron Martell scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I have used AVG for several years now and it has never failed me.

    I suspect that you do not subject your system to the
    junk that many, many users do ... believe me, if you did,
    it WOULD fail you, and miserably.

    <snip>

    >I consider the free AVG to be worth considerably more than you
    >pay for it.

    It is worth exactly what you pay for it.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  7. In article <> Ron Martell
    <> wrote:

    >°Mike° <> wrote:
    >
    >>AVG will NOT give you adequate protection. It fails
    >>miserably at detection and identification (it guesses
    >>when it is unsure) compared to decent antivirus
    >>solutions. It can screw up your email settings; it's a
    >>third-rate antivirus solution, at best. The ONLY good
    >>thing about it is the price. My advice is, if your data
    >>is worth protecting, it's worth paying for a product
    >>that will actually do that.

    >I think you are talking about Norton and not AVG

    You just ask if he is talking about norton and not avg?

    >>I recommend Kaspersky (there is none better, IMO):
    >>http://www.kaspersky.com/
    >>

    >And it will really slow down your computer too. Almost as bad as
    >Norton or McAfee in that regard.

    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    C.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Yo Erissa - you have just been replying to a 'bot - that thing's just
    a programme, and not a peeps, not even a loony one!"

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Robert11

    Paul Cornish Guest

    I have been in professional support for more than 20 years from when
    virus's didnt exist to now when they are everywhere.

    As a professional organisation, we recommend the purchased version of
    AVG anti virus as it has consistently out performed systems from mC
    afee, norton, symantec etc.

    I would highly recommend having it installed properly so that it
    doesnt "slow your system down" and "integrate with email". Obviously
    if you have problems of this sort, it may be worth getting
    professional advice and not playing with a system to attempt to make
    things better.

    The only antivirus on the market that beats AVG at this time is
    panda-software's titanium. The reason for not purchasing this over
    avg is simply price driven.

    I hope this has helped and also cut through some of the antics!

    Paul

    Paul Cornish, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Robert11

    Rob K Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:13:49 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    <snipped>

    > Any opinions on the AVG free offering ?

    Have used it for four years now - never had any serious problem.
    A few minor glitches such as certain updates arriving just a bit later
    compared with other AV programs, not identifying the exact virus
    'subtype' - but that's all. Oh yes, and there's the pointless signature.

    Other than that ... it kept my machines clean.

    Rob K, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Robert11

    Anthropy Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:12:05 +0100, Rob K <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:13:49 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
    >
    ><snipped>
    >>
    >> Any opinions on the AVG free offering ?

    >Have used it for four years now - never had any serious problem.
    >A few minor glitches such as certain updates arriving just a bit later
    >compared with other AV programs, not identifying the exact virus
    >'subtype' - but that's all. Oh yes, and there's the pointless signature.
    >
    >Other than that ... it kept my machines clean.

    I've been using AVG for about 6 months now. Before that I was using
    Norton AV which really used to slow down my machine. So far AVG has
    been excellent at keeping my machine clean and I would recommend it. I
    also use Adaware, Win Washer and Zone Alarm which I run at least once
    a week. (obviously ZA is on all the time)
    As to the pointless signature, that is easily got rid of or customized
    in AVG settings. Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    Anthropy, Dec 3, 2004
  11. Robert11

    nicki Guest

    I had awful problems with Norton and even worse problems trying to uninstall
    it. After Norton I switched to AVG and it's been installed and running for
    over a year with no problems. Several of my friends use it and they have
    never had problems. The one thing that my friends and I have in common is
    that we tend to avoid risky behaviour like visiting porn sites and other
    sites that common sense would suggest we avoid (like how to make money quick
    schemes). AVG does detect the occaisonal virus and deals with it. If it has
    missed anything then I would have noticed something by now. I always look
    out for anomalies such as my computer slowing down or otherwise doing weird
    things, and of course I always have a firewall (Zonealarm free version)
    installed.
    I think if you are the sort of person that stays up all night clicking open
    more or less random dodgy sites then you will probably also be sloppy in the
    way you would use an expensive antivirus so there is no point in paying the
    extra money.

    nicki, Dec 3, 2004
  12. Robert11

    Trent SC Guest

    > As to the pointless signature, that is easily got rid of or customized
    > in AVG settings. Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    > viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    <assumes pedant's posture>
    That's probably because the plural for virus is viruses, rather than viri or
    virii (its etymology is Greek rather than Latin).

    Trent SC, Dec 3, 2004
  13. Robert11

    Anthropy Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:17:14 -0000, "Trent SC"
    <> wrote:

    >> As to the pointless signature, that is easily got rid of or customized
    >> in AVG settings. Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    >> viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    ><assumes pedant's posture>
    >That's probably because the plural for virus is viruses, rather than viri or
    >virii (its etymology is Greek rather than Latin).

    (Assumes posture of one who has made a mistake but will argue the
    point anyway)

    Erm.........I've just checked on Dictionary.com and it seems you are
    right. Thank you for pointing it out. I shall amend my AVG sig
    immediately. However you have made me look foolish on newsnet and I am
    left with no option but to challenge you a duel tomorrow at dawn. My
    spelling credentials and my position of "Professor of Greek and Latin
    Etymology" at Cambridge University (UK) is being called into
    question.
    You may chose the weapons (nothing to sharp or to loud thanks). Or,
    if you wish, we could have a spelling contest. Right I'll go first.
    Spell.....er...aha...spell antidisestablishmentarianism. There! that
    got you didn't it? Not so smug now? Well.......I'm waiting.

    Anthropy, Dec 3, 2004
  14. In article <> Anthropy
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:17:14 -0000, "Trent SC"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> As to the pointless signature, that is easily got rid of or customized
    >>> in AVG settings. Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    >>> viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    >><assumes pedant's posture>
    >>That's probably because the plural for virus is viruses, rather than viri or
    >>virii (its etymology is Greek rather than Latin).

    >(Assumes posture of one who has made a mistake but will argue the
    >point anyway)

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Usenet poster
    is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three
    best friends. If they're okay, then it is you.

    >Erm.........I've just checked on Dictionary.com and it seems you are
    >right. Thank you for pointing it out. I shall amend my AVG sig
    >immediately. However you have made me look foolish on newsnet and I am
    >left with no option but to challenge you a duel tomorrow at dawn. My
    >spelling credentials and my position of "Professor of Greek and Latin
    >Etymology" at Cambridge University (UK) is being called into
    >question.
    >You may chose the weapons (nothing to sharp or to loud thanks). Or,
    >if you wish, we could have a spelling contest. Right I'll go first.
    >Spell.....er...aha...spell antidisestablishmentarianism. There! that
    >got you didn't it? Not so smug now? Well.......I'm waiting.

    Why have you wondered if you were waiting?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Bob, I think what arat was saying it that some people think Lady C is
    some kind of computer program, not a person at all. Keep up the
    good work." -- Steve Dufour

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 3, 2004
  15. Robert11

    Trent SC Guest

    > >> As to the pointless signature, that is easily got rid of or customized
    > >> in AVG settings. Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    > >> viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    > ><assumes pedant's posture>
    > >That's probably because the plural for virus is viruses, rather than viri

    or
    > >virii (its etymology is Greek rather than Latin).

    > (Assumes posture of one who has made a mistake but will argue the
    > point anyway)
    >
    > Erm.........I've just checked on Dictionary.com and it seems you are
    > right. Thank you for pointing it out. I shall amend my AVG sig
    > immediately. However you have made me look foolish on newsnet and I am
    > left with no option but to challenge you a duel tomorrow at dawn. My
    > spelling credentials and my position of "Professor of Greek and Latin
    > Etymology" at Cambridge University (UK) is being called into
    > question.
    > You may chose the weapons (nothing to sharp or to loud thanks). Or,
    > if you wish, we could have a spelling contest. Right I'll go first.
    > Spell.....er...aha...spell antidisestablishmentarianism. There! that
    > got you didn't it? Not so smug now? Well.......I'm waiting.

    I accept your challenge. For weapons I choose halibut, fresh, at 40 paces.

    Grovelling apologies for clambering onto my own personal hobby horse without
    thinking of the consequences: no intent to demean you. That said, I'm
    rather handy with a flatfish, so look forward to the contest. I shall be on
    Wimbledon Common (the site of one of my ancestor's more successful duels in
    1822) with my fishmonger at a half-hour before dawn. I trust, sir, that
    being a gentleman you are in no need of directions and already have your
    second?

    Trent SC, Dec 3, 2004
  16. Robert11

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:40:46 GMT, Anthropy <> wrote:

    > Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    >viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    Should be virii...two i's.

    Plural drops the 'us'...changing it to viri. Since there already is a
    word 'viri', another i is added...hence 'virii'.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 3, 2004
  17. In article <> Trent©
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:40:46 GMT, Anthropy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    >>viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    >Should be virii...two i's.

    There goes that train again.

    >Plural drops the 'us'...changing it to viri. Since there already is a
    >word 'viri', another i is added...hence 'virii'.

    Hmmm... kinda adds a new meaning to the word... oh... never mind.

    >Have a nice one...

    Never try to have the last word with a bot.

    >Trent©

    It seems he would rather spend his time wasting ours.

    >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    Well, you know the old saying... Follow the yellow brick... erm, I
    mean, follow the money trail.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Lady Chatterly added to this list also." -- Joseph Bartlo

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 3, 2004
  18. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  19. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:10:36 -0500, in
    <>
    Trent© scrawled:

    >On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:40:46 GMT, Anthropy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mine now reads "outgoing mail is packed with loads of
    >>viri" No-one has commented so I assume no-one reads it anyway.

    >Should be virii...two i's.

    There is NO SUCH WORD as "virii".
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=virii

    What's the Plural of `Virus'?
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/plural_virus.html

    >Plural drops the 'us'...changing it to viri.

    There is NO SUCH WORD as "viri"
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=viri

    What's the Plural of `Virus'?
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/plural_virus.html

    >Since there already is a word 'viri',

    No, there is not.

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  20. On Fri 03 Dec 2004 04:19:42a, Paul Cornish drooled the following utter
    nonsense in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > The only antivirus on the market that beats AVG at this time is
    > panda-software's titanium.

    snip

    Beats it at what, checkers--
    The Old Sourdough