    Does anyone know how I can find out why it went from 46569 one day to 103456
    the next and where all the extra objects came from and how to get rid of
    them if they are not needed. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

    Trish, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Trish

    philo Guest

    "Trish" <> wrote in message
    news:dbtj0h$vba$...
    > About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The next
    > day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and have since
    > got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same time that my
    > daughter tried to download a music program and messed it up, so I removed
    > the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was anything to do with
    > that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out why it went from 46569
    > one day to 103456 the next and where all the extra objects came from and
    > how to get rid of them if they are not needed. Appreciate any help. Thank
    > you.

    try deleting your temp. internet files

    control panel
    internet options

    philo, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Trish" <> wrote in message
    >> About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The next
    >> day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and have since
    >> got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same time that my
    >> daughter tried to download a music program and messed it up, so I removed
    >> the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was anything to do with
    >> that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out why it went from 46569
    >> one day to 103456 the next and where all the extra objects came from and
    >> how to get rid of them if they are not needed. Appreciate any help. Thank
    >> you.
    >>

    > try deleting your temp. internet files
    >
    > control panel
    > internet options

    Thanks but I have already done that. I do it on a regular basis.

    Trish, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Trish

    philo Guest

    "Trish" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Trish" <> wrote in message
    >>> About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The next
    >>> day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and have
    >>> since got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same time that
    >>> my daughter tried to download a music program and messed it up, so I
    >>> removed the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was anything to
    >>> do with that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out why it went
    >>> from 46569 one day to 103456 the next and where all the extra objects
    >>> came from and how to get rid of them if they are not needed. Appreciate
    >>> any help. Thank you.
    >>>

    >> try deleting your temp. internet files
    >>
    >> control panel
    >> internet options

    > Thanks but I have already done that. I do it on a regular basis.

    maybe try a disk cleanup and delete temp files etc...if you have not already
    done so

    philo, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Trish" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Trish" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> try deleting your temp. internet files
    >>>
    >>> control panel
    >>> internet options

    >> Thanks but I have already done that. I do it on a regular basis.
    >>>

    > maybe try a disk cleanup and delete temp files etc...if you have not
    > already done so

    Will give that a try. Thanks a lot.

    Trish, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Trish" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Trish" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> try deleting your temp. internet files
    >>>
    >>> control panel
    >>> internet options

    >> Thanks but I have already done that. I do it on a regular basis.
    >>>

    > maybe try a disk cleanup and delete temp files etc...if you have not
    > already done so

    Just tried that and it made no difference really. Any idea what else I could
    try. Thanks.

    Trish, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Trish

    Guest

    "Trish" <> wrote:

    The search (WinKey+F) allows you to find files by creation (modified)
    date - search for those files created on and after the date of
    concern.

    --

    , Jul 23, 2005
  8. Trish

    old jon Guest

    "Trish" <> wrote in message
    > About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The next
    > day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and have since
    > got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same time that my
    > daughter tried to download a music program and messed it up, so I removed
    > the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was anything to do with
    > that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out why it went from 46569
    > one day to 103456 the next and where all the extra objects came from and
    > how to get rid of them if they are not needed. Appreciate any help. Thank
    > you.

    Hi Trish, the `objects` you speak of, are files on your computer. The only
    way they can increase in number, is if you\yours puts extra
    software\programs on your box. The other things that can cause it, is,
    Autoupdates and\or spyware.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jul 23, 2005
  9. Trish

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Trish wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > Just tried that and it made no difference really. Any idea what else I could
    > try. Thanks.

    Go to the Test Center and look at the Test Results. What
    type of scan was performed? A complete test could very easily
    exceed 100,000 objects whereas a focused scan will generate
    considerably less.

    Mistoffolees, Jul 23, 2005
  10. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "Mistoffolees" <> wrote in message

    > Trish wrote:
    >
    > <<snipped>>
    >
    >> Just tried that and it made no difference really. Any idea what else I
    >> could try. Thanks.

    > Go to the Test Center and look at the Test Results. What
    > type of scan was performed? A complete test could very easily
    > exceed 100,000 objects whereas a focused scan will generate
    > considerably less.

    They were all complete tests.

    Trish, Jul 23, 2005
  11. You might want to download and run CCleaner from
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    Not so much because of the file count but to make sure you are rid of
    all the orphaned files and registry entries you don't need.

    cyberwasteland, Jul 23, 2005
  12. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "cyberwasteland" <> wrote in message
    > You might want to download and run CCleaner from
    > http://www.ccleaner.com/
    >
    > Not so much because of the file count but to make sure you are rid of
    > all the orphaned files and registry entries you don't need.

    Have clicked on your link but not sure where to go from there. Do I just
    click on 'Registry Cleaner Download'. Thanks for your help.

    Trish, Jul 23, 2005
  13. Trish

    Mellowed Guest

    Click on the 'download' button on top. Then, look down and follow the
    links.

    "Trish" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "cyberwasteland" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > You might want to download and run CCleaner from
    : > http://www.ccleaner.com/
    : >

    Mellowed, Jul 24, 2005
  14. No. Click on the "Download" link above, then click on the "Download
    from FileHippo.com" on the following page. Once the FileHippo page
    opens, click on the "Download Latest Version" link on the upper
    right-hand side. That will download the program.

    cyberwasteland, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Trish

    Ghostrider Guest

    Trish wrote:
    > "Mistoffolees" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Trish wrote:
    >>
    >><<snipped>>
    >>
    >>>Just tried that and it made no difference really. Any idea what else I
    >>>could try. Thanks.

    >>Go to the Test Center and look at the Test Results. What
    >>type of scan was performed? A complete test could very easily
    >>exceed 100,000 objects whereas a focused scan will generate
    >>considerably less.

    > They were all complete tests.

    Actually, AVG's test results can also read "Complete Test",
    even though the scan could be prematurely terminated. Of
    course, an earlier terminated scan would have seen fewer
    objects.

    Ghostrider, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Trish

    > No. Click on the "Download" link above, then click on the "Download
    > from FileHippo.com" on the following page. Once the FileHippo page
    > opens, click on the "Download Latest Version" link on the upper
    > right-hand side. That will download the program.

    Thanks for your help. I have now downloaded the Latest Version. I would be
    grateful for a few tips on how to use it. For instance, when I click on 'Run
    Cleaner' a box comes up with 'This process will permanently delete files
    from your system. Do you want to proceed'. Didn't know if I should proceed
    or not or what files it would delete. Sorry, but I am reasonably new to
    computing and still learning. Have learnt a lot from this newsgroup, thanks
    to very kind people like yourself. Thanks again.

    Trish, Jul 24, 2005
  17. Trish

    boywonder Guest

    In news:dbtj0h$vba$,
    Trish <> typed:
    > About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The
    > next day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and
    > have since got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same
    > time that my daughter tried to download a music program and messed it
    > up, so I removed the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was
    > anything to do with that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out
    > why it went from 46569 one day to 103456 the next and where all the
    > extra objects came from and how to get rid of them if they are not
    > needed. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

    Use MS Diskcleanup, all windows versions have it.
    In [my] windows 2000 it is spelled cleanmgr, sometimes it is in
    start/programs/accessories/system tools/ "Diskcleanup" with a little icon.
    -or- do this: start/run/cmd, then type cleanmgr then hit OK button, the
    problem you probably have is in temp internet files, this always fills up
    with files while you browse. Its a good idea to run this also under task
    scheduler once you're comfortable using it.

    I use MS task scheduler and have disk cleanup run every week at 4am sat. I
    never have to think about it again. You have to use a special command to let
    scheduler run it, in my version [probably same as yours], it is
    "C:\WINNT\System32\cleanmgr.exe /sagerun:1" explained: 1. the exact
    location on your disk drive and the program name 2. name of program and 3.
    the switch that allows the program to run under task scheduler.

    I put my favorite cleanup links on a page on my website:
    http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/cleanup.html
    --
    Tommy
    my personal webpages :

    boywonder, Jul 24, 2005
  18. Trish

    boywonder Guest

    In news:dbtj0h$vba$,
    Trish <> typed:
    > About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The
    > next day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and
    > have since got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same
    > time that my daughter tried to download a music program and messed it
    > up, so I removed the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was
    > anything to do with that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out
    > why it went from 46569 one day to 103456 the next and where all the
    > extra objects came from and how to get rid of them if they are not
    > needed. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

    Some better links than the last ones I sent:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312

    How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246
    --
    Tommy
    my personal webpages :

    boywonder, Jul 24, 2005
  19. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "boywonder" <tommyATlee9_2000(removethis)ATyahooATcom> wrote in message
    > In news:dbtj0h$vba$,
    > Trish <> typed:
    >> About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The
    >> next day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and
    >> have since got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same
    >> time that my daughter tried to download a music program and messed it
    >> up, so I removed the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was
    >> anything to do with that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out
    >> why it went from 46569 one day to 103456 the next and where all the
    >> extra objects came from and how to get rid of them if they are not
    >> needed. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

    > Some better links than the last ones I sent:
    >
    > Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312
    >

    > How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246
    > --
    > Tommy
    > my personal webpages :
    > www.hal-pc.org/~toner27

    I have actualy tried what you sugested. I also keep my Temp Int Folder
    clear. I empty it on a very regular basis. Thanks for your help.

    Trish, Jul 24, 2005
  20. You can go ahead and delete those files.
    When you run CCleaner and select the Issues icon, it will scan for
    issues involving the registry. Before fixing them, it will ask if you
    would like to back up the registry - you want to choose Yes. It will
    create a file with the suffix ".reg"
    Should something not work after Fixing All Issues, you can simply
    double-click this .reg file and it will restore your registry to its
    previous state.
    I've never had to do this, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

    cyberwasteland, Jul 25, 2005