    Riff

    --
    The word tofu is short for the medical term toe fungus.
    riff, Jun 11, 2004

  2. riff

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:17:50 +1200, "riff" <> wrote:

    >Gday
    >AVG Resident Shield pops up this message every couple of hours:
    >Virus
    >Virus Identified Worm/Kwbot
    >is found in file
    >C:\System Volume Information\_resotre{bunch of numbers##}RA78\A0063047.exe
    >(the bunch of numbvers bit is a string of numbers, when i look in System
    >Volume Info properties is 0 bytes and I can't get into it to delete the
    >file, similarily using AVG to delete the file does not work. Anybody have a
    >fix for this?
    >Running WinXP Pro on an Athlon 64 1 gig memory etc

    Disabling System Restore will delete it (along with all your restore points).
    Invisible, Jun 11, 2004

  3. riff

    riff Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:17:50 +1200, "riff" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Gday
    > >AVG Resident Shield pops up this message every couple of hours:
    > >Virus
    > >Virus Identified Worm/Kwbot
    > >is found in file
    > >C:\System Volume Information\_resotre{bunch of

    numbers##}RA78\A0063047.exe
    > >(the bunch of numbvers bit is a string of numbers, when i look in System
    > >Volume Info properties is 0 bytes and I can't get into it to delete the
    > >file, similarily using AVG to delete the file does not work. Anybody have

    > >fix for this?
    > >Running WinXP Pro on an Athlon 64 1 gig memory etc

    > Disabling System Restore will delete it (along with all your restore

    points).

    >Tried that but it did not fix the problem unfortunately, also have tried 2

    online virus checkers and an online worm checker, i don't think the virus is
    active, but its the annoying popup from avg which gets me. Maybe i will try
    reinstalling avg.
    cheers
    riff
    riff, Jun 11, 2004
  4. riff

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:33:07 +1200, "riff" <> wrote:

    >"Invisible" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:17:50 +1200, "riff" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Gday
    >> >AVG Resident Shield pops up this message every couple of hours:
    >> >Virus
    >> >Virus Identified Worm/Kwbot
    >> >is found in file
    >> >C:\System Volume Information\_resotre{bunch of

    >numbers##}RA78\A0063047.exe
    >> >(the bunch of numbvers bit is a string of numbers, when i look in System
    >> >Volume Info properties is 0 bytes and I can't get into it to delete the
    >> >file, similarily using AVG to delete the file does not work. Anybody have

    >> >fix for this?
    >> >Running WinXP Pro on an Athlon 64 1 gig memory etc

    >> Disabling System Restore will delete it (along with all your restore

    >points).
    >>

    >Tried that but it did not fix the problem unfortunately, also have tried 2
    >online virus checkers and an online worm checker, i don't think the virus is
    >active, but its the annoying popup from avg which gets me. Maybe i will try
    >reinstalling avg.
    >cheers

    Weird, that usually works. Re-installing probably won't help. Some virus' seem
    to get stuck in the restore volume and turning it off usually flushes it out.
    Tried disabling SysRes in safe mode or maybe Symantec have a removal tool?
    Invisible, Jun 11, 2004
  5. riff

    Howard Guest

    riff wrote:

    >> Tried that but it did not fix the problem unfortunately, also have
    >> tried 2

    > online virus checkers and an online worm checker, i don't think the
    > virus is active, but its the annoying popup from avg which gets me.
    > Maybe i will try reinstalling avg.

    Download a copy of Knoppix, an OS you can boot off a CD with.
    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN.iso

    Then you can blitz the System restore folder with one easy click of a mouse
    and reboot into Windows and you're away.
    Howard, Jun 11, 2004