AVG Professional

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Emrys Davies, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    For years I had a free version of AVG with which I was quite happy.

    I then bought AVG professional because of its updating notification
    e-mails and since then it has been a real nightmare.

    It corrupts my e-mail client by taking over with its 127.0.0.1
    insertions into my pop3 and smtp accounts and despite many questions of
    AVG technical support I am still having turmoil with its software.

    Uninstall and re-install is the order of the day, but so far nothing has
    improved. To the contrary I have had 'Mail Blocking at the Server' and
    'The Page cannot Be Displayed' errors, all of which I have resolved.

    I have had a computer for five years and this is the worst experience
    that I have had with regard to any software.

    Now, before I pull the plug on this software, my main question to
    posters is whether anyone else is experiencing my sort of difficulties
    and whether or not I can do anything to resolve this problem?

    Thanks a lot.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Emrys Davies

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have one machine here that is running the AVG free version. It has had it
    installed for a fair number of years, and there are no problems. I have a
    number of friends that have been using the free version of AVG for many
    years, and have no faults.

    You should make sure that there are not excessive unused files in the system
    cache, and main cache for Internet Explorer. I was having some problems with
    one machine where Outlook Express would slow down, and even stop responding
    at times. It turned out that there were many thousands of unused cache
    files, that were causing problems.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Oct 5, 2004

  3. Emrys Davies

    Hamman Guest

    > For years I had a free version of AVG with which I was quite happy.
    >
    > I then bought AVG professional because of its updating notification
    > e-mails and since then it has been a real nightmare.
    >
    > It corrupts my e-mail client by taking over with its 127.0.0.1
    > insertions into my pop3 and smtp accounts and despite many questions of
    > AVG technical support I am still having turmoil with its software.
    >
    > Uninstall and re-install is the order of the day, but so far nothing has
    > improved. To the contrary I have had 'Mail Blocking at the Server' and
    > 'The Page cannot Be Displayed' errors, all of which I have resolved.
    >
    > I have had a computer for five years and this is the worst experience
    > that I have had with regard to any software.
    >
    > Now, before I pull the plug on this software, my main question to
    > posters is whether anyone else is experiencing my sort of difficulties
    > and whether or not I can do anything to resolve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Emrys Davies.

    Dump it. AVG misses tonnes of things that commerical packages will find.

    For example, a server i had, after 6 months of 'hassle free' AVG action, i
    installed Norton Corp v9.

    43 items found... not impressive.

    hamman

    Hamman, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Hamman wrote:
    > "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>For years I had a free version of AVG with which I was quite happy.
    >>
    >>I then bought AVG professional because of its updating notification
    >>e-mails and since then it has been a real nightmare.
    >>
    >>It corrupts my e-mail client by taking over with its 127.0.0.1
    >>insertions into my pop3 and smtp accounts and despite many questions of
    >>AVG technical support I am still having turmoil with its software.
    >>
    >>Uninstall and re-install is the order of the day, but so far nothing has
    >>improved. To the contrary I have had 'Mail Blocking at the Server' and
    >>'The Page cannot Be Displayed' errors, all of which I have resolved.
    >>
    >>I have had a computer for five years and this is the worst experience
    >>that I have had with regard to any software.
    >>
    >>Now, before I pull the plug on this software, my main question to
    >>posters is whether anyone else is experiencing my sort of difficulties
    >>and whether or not I can do anything to resolve this problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Emrys Davies.
    >>

    > Dump it. AVG misses tonnes of things that commerical packages will find.
    >
    > For example, a server i had, after 6 months of 'hassle free' AVG action, i
    > installed Norton Corp v9.
    >
    > 43 items found... not impressive.
    >
    > hamman

    AVG Free and Symantec/Norton AV Corp are completely different.
    Some "things(virus or no)" attack specific exploits of windows or
    applications depending on the win version and whats installed.

    For the most part, AVG free is only a desktop AV, Only the PRO would
    probably access those other "items" which the average home noob user
    wouldnt probably need or have installed, which is partly why you have to
    pay for Corp editions or pro versions.

    Nortons/Symantec may not miss much, but it sure as hell cant fix shit.

    As far as the problem goes, your supposed to uninstall any AV software
    before installing the Pro version, its annoying how it changes all the
    settings, but you can disable and reset them after install...

    You still wasted your maoney tho.

    Thats my 2cents anyhoo.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9_Chris_=AE?=, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Emrys Davies

    WormWood Guest

    Do you know how to Quote the text when replying? If not, please learn.

    WormWood, Oct 6, 2004