AVG Linkscanner. I'm not the only one who didn't like it...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/

    "Early last month, webmasters here at The Reg noticed an unexpected spike in
    our site traffic. Suddenly, we had far more readers than ever before, and
    they were reading at a record clip. Visits actually doubled on certain
    landing pages, and more than a few ho-hum stories attracted an audience
    worthy of a Pulitzer Prize winner. Or so it seemed.
    As it turns out, much of this traffic was driven by the new malware scanner
    from AVG Technologies.

    ...... could destroy web analytics as we know it."

    And it seems that, as soon as webmasters work out a way of filtering it, AVG
    changes the way it works:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/avg_disguises_fake_traffic_as_ie6/

    I'm not sure that I like this. It's costing some sites a lot of money in
    bandwidth, arguably slowing the whole internet and AVG are very cavalier
    about it:

    ""There's so much hacking activity going on the web. The only way to really
    tell what's there is to go and have a look," he told us. "I don't want to
    sound flip about this, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break
    some eggs."" (From the first link).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.