    on what is up with this.

    TIA

    Lou
    Lou W, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Lou W

    Pete Guest

    "Lou W" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Using AVG free version, Just d/l'ed it last night. I have gotten an error
    > on boot up "unable to initialize AVG core", everything freezes and I have
    > to reboot.Sometimes it boots fine on start up then other times no. Any

    tips
    > on what is up with this.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Lou

    Hello,

    According to the FAQ at http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=9&sid=8

    "After restarting, AVG gives an 'Error in AVG core'. What next ?

    This problem is caused by an incorrect or damaged installation. You must
    uninstall AVG and then reinstall it. If the problem persists contact
    technical support .... "

    I don't know if this is applicable to your situation or not. As you have the
    free version, you're knackered for technical support from this site. Try a
    re-install ?

    Regards,

    Pete.
    Pete, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Lou W

    N1POP Guest

    Lou W <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Using AVG free version, Just d/l'ed it last night. I have gotten an error
    > on boot up "unable to initialize AVG core", everything freezes and I have
    > to reboot.Sometimes it boots fine on start up then other times no. Any tips
    > on what is up with this.

    I use AVG free on two of my machines (the remainder are non-Windows).
    It works fine out of the box. My Mother's machine, however, did not
    like it and exhibited similar errors. So it appears, as is expected,
    that it does not run on all machines flawlessly. You might try asking
    grisoft to look into it, but they are under no obligation. When you
    write to them, make sure you tell them what kind of computer you have
    (CPU, RAM, HD), what version of Windows you're running (get the gories
    from Help > About in the Windows Explorer), and what version of AVG
    you've installed (the install file is uniquely named and dated, you
    could give them that).
    N1POP, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Lou W

    eth0:fifo Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote
    <snip>
    "unable to initialize AVG core",
    </snip>

    As mentioned by a previous poster, Uninstall - Reboot - Download FRESH
    copy of Install App - ReInstall. This works every time. If using
    Win98, I would recommend running Scandisk and Defrag before reinstall.

    I install AVG on clients home computers if I see they are not
    practicing safe surfing. I get this error quit a lot but easy to fix.

    Also, AVG is great at spotting viruses and is resource friendly
    (though can tie up a PI/PII during a scan). It is however quite weak
    at cleaning the viruses. If you find a virus, reboot in safe mode and
    scan again.

    Make sure you update 2 times after install this will give you the
    latest files and make all subsequent updates ~200k and not 5 meg due
    to the patch that will be installed on your second update.

    HTH

    Aaron Lingwood
    eth0:fifo, Jan 2, 2004