avg free update problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by gardenlen, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. gardenlen

    gardenlen Guest

    got a message on the bottom of a scanned e/mail saying the program
    needed up dating.

    went to check for latest updates using icon in task tray download
    started then 1/2 way through it said the connection had been
    interupted though i wa still active online.

    now when i try after rebooting to get update it won't connect to avg

    and the icon in the task tray is not active

    what can i do to fix this problem?

    tia

    len
    --

    it works for me it could work for you

    "in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do!!"
    but consider others and the environment.
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1

    gardenlen, Jun 16, 2005

  2. gardenlen wrote:

    > got a message on the bottom of a scanned e/mail saying the program
    > needed up dating.
    >
    > went to check for latest updates using icon in task tray download
    > started then 1/2 way through it said the connection had been
    > interupted though i wa still active online.
    >
    > now when i try after rebooting to get update it won't connect to avg
    >
    > and the icon in the task tray is not active
    >
    > what can i do to fix this problem?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > len
    > --
    >
    > it works for me it could work for you
    >
    > "in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do!!"
    > but consider others and the environment.
    > http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1

    Hi,
    I would like to try to help you. Sorry for the bad english that i can good
    write. But can you say me wich virus database number (the numer and date of
    last update version) you actually have. Are you a Window$ user or wich
    operating system you work ?

    On Windows machines, click on the icon left the hour, and selection "Launch
    AVG Control Center".

    --
    David Van Mosselbeen - DVM
    http://dvm.zapto.org:3333

    David Van Mosselbeen, Jun 16, 2005

  3. gardenlen

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:02:45 +1000, gardenlen wrote:

    > got a message on the bottom of a scanned e/mail saying the program
    > needed up dating.
    >
    > went to check for latest updates using icon in task tray download
    > started then 1/2 way through it said the connection had been interupted
    > though i wa still active online.
    >
    > now when i try after rebooting to get update it won't connect to avg
    >
    > and the icon in the task tray is not active
    >
    > what can i do to fix this problem?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > len

    You could trying reinstalling AVG and then updating, but I've also had the
    update feature fail periodically with my WindowsXP machine. It always
    starts working again though.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jun 17, 2005
  4. gardenlen

    gardenlen Guest

    g'day david,

    the upstart of all this is i ran 2 free online virus scans by seperate
    companies then un-installed avg and reinstalled it now appears to be
    working ok.

    thank you for wanting to help.

    len

    snipped

    gardenlen, Jun 17, 2005
  5. gardenlen

    YourNameHere Guest

    I've been having the same problem. Here's what works for me:

    Double click on the tray icon, doubleclick on the "settings" button, go
    to the "URL" tab, double click on the url string. That will open up a
    window with the URL as editable text. Sometimes this is enough to "jog"
    the program. Close those windows and try to update, it will probably work.

    If it does not, go back to the URL string, copy it and paste it into
    your browser and try to access that url. It won't bring up a webpage but
    your update will probably work after that.

    Why does any of this work? Your guess is as good as mine.

    -Nathan

    YourNameHere, Jun 18, 2005