    couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
    not contain spyware itself?

    TIA
    Edge, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Edge

    Fakename Guest

    AVG is great. I've used it for years.

    Fakename, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Edge

    Goofy_56_096 Guest

    AVG works, at least from what I've seen on two systems; one at work and one
    at home. My old home system seems to be OK with AVG. It's an AMD266,
    Windows 98se, 32Mb EDO (remember that?), 2Mb video, 2Gb (slow) HD. It takes
    longer (1 minute +-) to load AVG than the 3Gig system at work, but that
    would be comparing apples and oranges. And it's going to get worse. You
    can still use old programs on old machines, but anti-virus and other
    "protection" programs must get smarter (i.e. more coding) to do their job.
    Eventually, these programs will choke the older systems simply because they
    can't handle it. I'll probably keep the old beast just to play old games
    and keep it off the internet. It's too slow for it now.

    Goofy_56_096, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Edge

    GregRo Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:23:26 GMT, "Edge" <> wrote:

    >I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
    >machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
    >couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
    >not contain spyware itself?
    >
    >TIA

    I think avast would work better than avg. Not sure if they still have
    a win95 version.

    Greg Ro
    GregRo, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Edge

    The One Guest

    "GregRo" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:23:26 GMT, "Edge" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
    > >machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
    > >couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
    > >not contain spyware itself?
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >

    > I think avast would work better than avg. Not sure if they still have
    > a win95 version.
    >
    > Greg Ro

    I have recently changed to avast as AVG had issues with deleting potential
    virus's.
    The One, Aug 9, 2005
  6. "Edge" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
    > machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
    > couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
    > not contain spyware itself?
    >
    > TIA

    AVG use to be free, I dunno if it is anymore. Avast is free, and IMO better.
    Capt. KillaHo, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Edge

    k35454 Guest

    "Capt. KillaHo" <> wrote in message

    "Edge" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
    > machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
    > couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
    > not contain spyware itself?
    >
    > TIA

    AVG use to be free, I dunno if it is anymore. Avast is free, and IMO better.

    AVG says it has a free version, but I was unable to find the
    download point as it was concealed by endless plugs (no pun intended !!) for
    the paid version. I settled for AntiVir, which is probably just as well.
    k35454.
    k35454, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Edge

    derek / nul Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:00:03 -0700, "k35454" <> wrote:

    >"Capt. KillaHo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >"Edge" <> wrote in message
    >> I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
    >> machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
    >> couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
    >> not contain spyware itself?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >AVG use to be free, I dunno if it is anymore. Avast is free, and IMO better.
    >
    > AVG says it has a free version, but I was unable to find the
    >download point as it was concealed by endless plugs (no pun intended !!) for
    >the paid version. I settled for AntiVir, which is probably just as well.
    >k35454.

    I run the free version here now, you need to look harder.
    derek / nul, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Edge

    bambam Guest

    "k35454" <> wrote in

    > AVG says it has a free version, but I was unable to find the
    > download point as it was concealed by endless plugs (no pun intended
    > !!) for the paid version. I settled for AntiVir, which is probably
    > just as well.

    AVG is easy found!

    1. Go to the AVG main page- http://www.grisoft.com

    2. In the left column click "AVG Products"

    3. From the resulting drop down click "AVG Free Edition"

    4. On the new page under the heading "Download" click "AVG Free Website"

    5. Click "Download your AVG free"

    6. Click "avg70free_338a597.exe"

    Or this direct link-

    http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg70free_338a597.exe
    bambam, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Edge

    Guest

    AVG should work ok. I prefer Avast. And I prefer Windows 95b over
    anything Microsoft has come up with since. It just runs without
    crashing, requires less memory, and it really cooks on a 2Ghz system :)

    I've done the updates (this saves a lot of time with finding updates
    and installing them all at once http://on-disk.com/95optipack.html )

    Throw on the Open Office 1.03 Legacy Build (available at
    http://openoffice.org) and Mozilla (http://mozilla.org) {note: Firefox
    requires Win98, but Mozilla run great on Win95}....and you have a
    modern desktop operating system.
    , Aug 16, 2005