AVG Free anomoly

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by dogbreath, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. dogbreath

    dogbreath Guest

    I run AVG Free on several home computers. Lately when AVG does an
    update, when it finishes the update it goes on to re-install Firefox
    in its latest version (already installed), and leaves me with a "new"
    Firefox installed, and two tabs up: one is the "Welcome to Firefox"
    page and the other is a marketing page from AVG to buy into their
    pay-for version. That's a minor nuisance, but the problem is it
    trashes all my bookmarks.

    Fortunately, Firefox has bookmarks backed up every which way but
    Sunday, so restoring bookmarks is just another damned inconvenience.

    The strangest thing about this is apparently I'm the only person in
    the world seeing this kind of behavior. I check into alt.computer and
    alt.fan.mozilla regularly, and I've seen no mention of such a problem.

    AVG Free has a forum that I check into sometimes, but they're very
    unfriendly. Most of the people who go there just get scolded for
    posting to the wrong subject, or for not including some item of info
    about their OS, or some stupid thing.

    My question isn't why does AVG do this. (I know why they do it --
    because they're marketing geeks, scum of the earth.) My question is --
    Why am I apparently the only person in the world who has seen this
    behavior?

    dogbreath, Apr 4, 2008

  2. dogbreath wrote:
    > I run AVG Free on several home computers. Lately when AVG does an
    > update, when it finishes the update it goes on to re-install Firefox
    > in its latest version (already installed), and leaves me with a "new"
    > Firefox installed, and two tabs up: one is the "Welcome to Firefox"
    > page and the other is a marketing page from AVG to buy into their
    > pay-for version. That's a minor nuisance, but the problem is it
    > trashes all my bookmarks.
    >
    > Fortunately, Firefox has bookmarks backed up every which way but
    > Sunday, so restoring bookmarks is just another damned inconvenience.
    >
    > The strangest thing about this is apparently I'm the only person in
    > the world seeing this kind of behavior. I check into alt.computer and
    > alt.fan.mozilla regularly, and I've seen no mention of such a problem.
    >
    > AVG Free has a forum that I check into sometimes, but they're very
    > unfriendly. Most of the people who go there just get scolded for
    > posting to the wrong subject, or for not including some item of info
    > about their OS, or some stupid thing.
    >
    > My question isn't why does AVG do this. (I know why they do it --
    > because they're marketing geeks, scum of the earth.) My question is --
    > Why am I apparently the only person in the world who has seen this
    > behavior?

    Well, lets not be to fast to judge.

    My wife has AVG installed and runs scans every morning. Nothing like
    this happens. This would not seem to be a regular AVG problem.

    You might try posting ths question to the news.mozilla.org server, in
    the mozilla.support.firefox group. You will get a much wider group of
    people looking at your problem.

    I sispect that this is not an AVG problem. Its probably not a Firefox
    problem either, unless there is something wonky in your setup.
    regardless, that is the group where you are most likely to get answers.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 4, 2008

  3. dogbreath

    Old Enough Guest

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:40:10 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >My wife has AVG installed and runs scans every morning. Nothing like
    >this happens. This would not seem to be a regular AVG problem.

    dogbreath:

    Probably this isn't much help to you, other than perhaps aiding you in
    analyzing the problem:
    I've been using AVG-Free for a long time - it downloads new files
    daily, and scans my computer daily - no mussa, no fuss.
    (OS: W-XP SP1, P III 800 mhz computer, )

    Good luck!
    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Apr 4, 2008
  4. dogbreath

    C0mdrData Guest

    "dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >I run AVG Free on several home computers. Lately when AVG does an
    > update, when it finishes the update it goes on to re-install Firefox
    > in its latest version (already installed), and leaves me with a "new"
    > Firefox installed, and two tabs up: one is the "Welcome to Firefox"
    > page and the other is a marketing page from AVG to buy into their
    > pay-for version. That's a minor nuisance, but the problem is it
    > trashes all my bookmarks.
    >
    > Fortunately, Firefox has bookmarks backed up every which way but
    > Sunday, so restoring bookmarks is just another damned inconvenience.
    >
    > The strangest thing about this is apparently I'm the only person in
    > the world seeing this kind of behavior. I check into alt.computer and
    > alt.fan.mozilla regularly, and I've seen no mention of such a problem.
    >
    > AVG Free has a forum that I check into sometimes, but they're very
    > unfriendly. Most of the people who go there just get scolded for
    > posting to the wrong subject, or for not including some item of info
    > about their OS, or some stupid thing.
    >
    > My question isn't why does AVG do this. (I know why they do it --
    > because they're marketing geeks, scum of the earth.) My question is --
    > Why am I apparently the only person in the world who has seen this
    > behavior?

    I have AVG on four different computers...three with Windows XP, one with
    Windows 98SE. At no time does this happen on any of them. What I would
    suggest is to uninstall AVG. Restart your computer, redownload AVG (from
    free.grisoft.com...do NOT get it from anywhere else) and install it.

    --
    "The human adventure is just beginning"

    C0mdrData, Apr 4, 2008
  5. dogbreath

    bob from oz Guest

    dogbreath wrote:
    > The strangest thing about this is apparently I'm the only person in
    > the world seeing this kind of behavior. I check into alt.computer and
    > alt.fan.mozilla regularly, and I've seen no mention of such a problem.

    nope, it happened to me yesterday morning when i booted my laptop. i was
    half asleep, so i just cancelled everything at the first chance. nothing
    untoward happened when i next started Firefox. i didn't think about it
    until i just read your post here. strange. my Firefox does update
    straight away when i boot.

    bob

    bob from oz, Apr 5, 2008
  6. dogbreath

    bob from oz Guest

    bob from oz, Apr 5, 2008
  7. dogbreath

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I run AVG Free on several home computers. Lately when AVG does an
    > update, when it finishes the update it goes on to re-install Firefox
    > in its latest version (already installed), and leaves me with a "new"
    > Firefox installed, and two tabs up: one is the "Welcome to Firefox"
    > page and the other is a marketing page from AVG to buy into their
    > pay-for version. That's a minor nuisance, but the problem is it
    > trashes all my bookmarks.
    >
    > Fortunately, Firefox has bookmarks backed up every which way but
    > Sunday, so restoring bookmarks is just another damned inconvenience.
    >
    > The strangest thing about this is apparently I'm the only person in
    > the world seeing this kind of behavior. I check into alt.computer and
    > alt.fan.mozilla regularly, and I've seen no mention of such a problem.

    I'm running AVG Free on a laptop with Vista and the pay version of AVG
    7.5 on two Win2K machines (one has Server and the other Workstation).
    All three also have the latest version of FF. I hate to say it, but I've
    never witnessed the behavior you describe before.

    AVG in general has been remarkably trouble-free in the several years
    I've been using it, with the exception of the Server box, where it has
    recently developed the infuriating habit of requiring a reboot at least
    3-4 times a week after updating. This is apparently not an uncommon
    problem, but the "solution" that's mentioned on the AVG FAQ page isn't a
    solution, at least in my case.

    You might want to try reinstalling AVG and see if that helps.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Apr 5, 2008