AVG error report

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Nov 27, 2004.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    O/s WinME

    Ran AVG it found 197 errors = opted for delete = AVG started this then up
    popped a microsoft error reporting window asking if i wanted to send the
    report to them.

    So far have not done anything other then copying the error message which is
    :-

    "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: shdocvw.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2600.0 Offset: 00002f89 "

    Any ideas what we should do?

    I ran a search and found shdocvw.dll but wasn't sure if i should have
    deleted it so didn't - hence i am here

    We are tryin to hunt down this rogue dialer on my wife's PC - we are in the
    process of running every Ad aware/spybot etc etc.alll the ones mentioned in
    a previous report.

    Many thanks

    anOLDun, Nov 27, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    Ionizer Guest

    "anOLDun" <> wrote in message
    > Lo All
    >
    > O/s WinME
    >
    > Ran AVG it found 197 errors = opted for delete = AVG started this then

    up
    > popped a microsoft error reporting window asking if i wanted to send

    the
    > report to them.
    >
    > So far have not done anything other then copying the error message

    which is
    > :-
    >
    > "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: shdocvw.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2600.0 Offset: 00002f89 "
    >

    > Any ideas what we should do?
    >
    > I ran a search and found shdocvw.dll but wasn't sure if i should have
    > deleted it so didn't - hence i am here
    >

    > We are tryin to hunt down this rogue dialer on my wife's PC - we are in

    the
    > process of running every Ad aware/spybot etc etc.alll the ones

    mentioned in
    > a previous report.

    I can't help you much except to say "don't delete it."

    Error messages related to that dll are highlighted in yellow here:
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:5FP0Na_6BSIJ:aumha.org/win4/kbeipf.php shdocvw.dll error&hl=en

    Does AVG quarantine or store the files it deletes? If so, you might want
    to put everything back the way it was and start again. 197 viruses,
    really?

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 27, 2004

  3. Yep, my nephew had over 300, as he visited a lot of porn sites..
    I let it delete everything and what did not work after, I used original CD's
    to restore
    back to pristine shape.. then installed all kinds of blockers for is mum's
    wishes to keep
    him somewhat safe until college and he finds how to open it up again..

    Mohawk Brewing, Nov 27, 2004
  4. anOLDun

    Mellowed Guest

    You might also try running Pest Patrol. www.pestpatrol.com. There is a
    free version.

    Mellowed, Nov 27, 2004
  5. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Porn sites???????

    It's my wife's pc and i just can't imagne her watching porn...........but
    who knows :)))))))

    anOLDun, Nov 27, 2004
  6. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for the link - your right - don't delele

    cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 27, 2004
  7. anOLDun

    Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:18:23 -0000, "anOLDun" <>
    wrote:

    |> Ran AVG it found 197 errors = opted for delete = AVG

    Just to make sure, look for a root directory called: $VAULT$.AVG
    this is where AVG quarantines files, and delete anything in there.
    (files will end in .FIL)

    , Nov 27, 2004
  8. anOLDun

    Scraggy Guest

    anOLDun wrote:
    > Lo All
    >
    > O/s WinME
    >
    > Ran AVG it found 197 errors = opted for delete = AVG started this
    > then up popped a microsoft error reporting window asking if i wanted
    > to send the report to them.
    >
    > So far have not done anything other then copying the error message
    > which is :-
    >
    > "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: shdocvw.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2600.0 Offset: 00002f89 "
    >

    > Any ideas what we should do?

    Apart from other suggestions, download version 7!

    --
    There's a certain inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things
    you've already made up your mind about.

    "The Corbomite Maneuver," stardate 1514.0.

    Scraggy, Nov 27, 2004
  9. anOLDun

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | 197 viruses, really?

    Heh heh...the Sony Viao I was working on Monday and Tuesday had to delete
    over 3500 files due to infections. Seems they bought the PC 2 years ago,
    factory install (90 day?) of PC-Cillin, never knew they had to update it and
    renew it year by year. Due to the high number of deleted files, the thing
    was so buggered I ended up starting all over. (Saved their data/email first,
    of course <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2004