    Anyone else ahve that probelm. Turn it off and turn on again and its
    fine. Althought, today it goes off again after a few mins.

    cheers. trog
    Trog, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Trog

    Ross Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:54:34 +1300, Trog <> wrote:

    >Anyone else ahve that probelm. Turn it off and turn on again and its
    >fine. Althought, today it goes off again after a few mins.
    >
    >cheers. trog

    Just leave it off. You don't need it. All your attachments get scanned
    (invisibly) when you open them anyway.

    Ross
    Ross, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Trog

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:15:38 +1300, Ross <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:54:34 +1300, Trog <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone else ahve that probelm. Turn it off and turn on again and its
    >>fine. Althought, today it goes off again after a few mins.
    >>
    >>cheers. trog

    >Just leave it off. You don't need it. All your attachments get scanned
    >(invisibly) when you open them anyway.

    That email scanning thing is a royal pita on some systems, it just sits there
    spinning away in the system tray until the mail server times out.
    Invisible, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Trog wrote:
    > Anyone else ahve that probelm. Turn it off and turn on again and its
    > fine. Althought, today it goes off again after a few mins.

    last time I saw that on someones PC it was infected with something.

    theres a new Beagle/Bagel Virus out today... might be worth checking out.

    try a download of stinger

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2005
  5. On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:22:31 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Trog wrote:
    >> Anyone else ahve that probelm. Turn it off and turn on again and its
    >> fine. Althought, today it goes off again after a few mins.

    > last time I saw that on someones PC it was infected with something.
    >
    > theres a new Beagle/Bagel Virus out today... might be worth checking out.
    >
    > try a download of stinger

    heh .. i thought the same thing
    ie something avg hasnt cleaned or detected is shutting it down

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 5, 2005
  6. Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>>Anyone else ahve that probelm. Turn it off and turn on again and its
    >>>fine. Althought, today it goes off again after a few mins.

    >>last time I saw that on someones PC it was infected with something.
    >>theres a new Beagle/Bagel Virus out today... might be worth checking out.
    >>try a download of stinger

    > heh .. i thought the same thing
    > ie something avg hasnt cleaned or detected is shutting it down

    I must say Im shying away for AVG, it seems to be more of a PITA than it
    used to be, and the updates are now getting to be an annoying size, it's
    not like I seem to need it, my mail all gets sorted for me, and my
    machine seems basically inpenetratable(hasn't been sofar), and I havent
    had any infections ever, well, not without doing it on purpose.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2005
  7. On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:31:08 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>last time I saw that on someones PC it was infected with something.
    >>>theres a new Beagle/Bagel Virus out today... might be worth checking out.
    >>>try a download of stinger

    >> heh .. i thought the same thing
    >> ie something avg hasnt cleaned or detected is shutting it down

    > I must say Im shying away for AVG, it seems to be more of a PITA than it
    > used to be, and the updates are now getting to be an annoying size, it's
    > not like I seem to need it, my mail all gets sorted for me, and my
    > machine seems basically inpenetratable(hasn't been sofar), and I havent
    > had any infections ever, well, not without doing it on purpose.

    its funny.. I had someone ask me for an opinion on AVG quite recently..
    claiming that 7.0? is shocking and causing a few problems. I had to say..
    I use *nix 99.5% of the time so had no idea.. and up till now hadn't heard
    anything one way or the other on it
    What other 'free' av's are out and about for win32? not including the web
    based ones?

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 5, 2005
  8. Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>>heh .. i thought the same thing
    >>>ie something avg hasnt cleaned or detected is shutting it down

    >>I must say Im shying away for AVG, it seems to be more of a PITA than it
    >>used to be, and the updates are now getting to be an annoying size, it's
    >>not like I seem to need it, my mail all gets sorted for me, and my
    >>machine seems basically inpenetratable(hasn't been sofar), and I havent
    >>had any infections ever, well, not without doing it on purpose.

    > its funny.. I had someone ask me for an opinion on AVG quite recently..
    > claiming that 7.0? is shocking and causing a few problems. I had to say..
    > I use *nix 99.5% of the time so had no idea.. and up till now hadn't heard
    > anything one way or the other on it
    > What other 'free' av's are out and about for win32? not including the web
    > based ones?

    sorry I have no idea, all mine have always been free, AVG has been fine
    until v7, now Im semi looking else where.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Trog

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:36:51 +1300, "Shane (aka froggy)"
    <> wrote:

    >>> heh .. i thought the same thing
    >>> ie something avg hasnt cleaned or detected is shutting it down

    >> I must say Im shying away for AVG, it seems to be more of a PITA than it
    >> used to be, and the updates are now getting to be an annoying size, it's
    >> not like I seem to need it, my mail all gets sorted for me, and my
    >> machine seems basically inpenetratable(hasn't been sofar), and I havent
    >> had any infections ever, well, not without doing it on purpose.

    >its funny.. I had someone ask me for an opinion on AVG quite recently..
    >claiming that 7.0? is shocking and causing a few problems. I had to say..
    >I use *nix 99.5% of the time so had no idea.. and up till now hadn't heard
    >anything one way or the other on it
    >What other 'free' av's are out and about for win32? not including the web
    >based ones?

    I use Avast! (www.avast.commmm). Changed to them a couple of years ago
    when AVG kept crashing my old windows 98 machine. Updates to the files
    are regular and small. Just occational larger downloads when the
    engine updates. It updated this morning then caught the new Beagle
    before Paradise had their filters updated.

    Bruce.
    Bruce Knox, Mar 5, 2005
  10. Trog

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:16:39 +1300, Bruce Knox <>
    wrote:
    >I use Avast! (www.avast.commmm). Changed to them a couple of years ago
    >when AVG kept crashing my old windows 98 machine. Updates to the files
    >are regular and small. Just occational larger downloads when the
    >engine updates. It updated this morning then caught the new Beagle
    >before Paradise had their filters updated.

    I use this as well. I think the biggest update was the very first one I did, and
    I don't think that was over 1mb. All the others have only taken around 10-20
    seconds on dialup.
    Invisible, Mar 5, 2005
  11. Steve Marshall, Mar 5, 2005