    Just ran AVG and it identified a virus (Worm/Dedler.Q). The file is
    msexpb.dll.

    Anyone tell me how to remove this?
    mandy, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jun 6, 2004

  3. mandy

    mandy Guest

    "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in message

    > "mandy" <mandy@?.n> wrote in message
    > > Just ran AVG and it identified a virus (Worm/Dedler.Q). The file is
    > > msexpb.dll.
    > >
    > > Anyone tell me how to remove this?

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dedler.worm.html

    ok had a look at the instructions from the above link.

    I've deleted the file from the AVG software option. However, the values
    given in the registry from the instruction are not listed in my registry.
    mandy, Jun 6, 2004
  4. mandy

    Dominic Guest

    mandy wrote:
    > "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>
    >> "mandy" <mandy@?.n> wrote in message
    >>> Just ran AVG and it identified a virus (Worm/Dedler.Q). The file is
    >>> msexpb.dll.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone tell me how to remove this?

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dedler.worm.html

    > ok had a look at the instructions from the above link.
    >
    > I've deleted the file from the AVG software option. However, the
    > values given in the registry from the instruction are not listed in
    > my registry.

    Are you sure AVG hasn't already removed them? It is an anti-virus product,
    after all.

    Dominic
    Dominic, Jun 6, 2004
  5. mandy

    mandy Guest

    "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    > mandy wrote:
    > > "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > >>
    > >> "mandy" <mandy@?.n> wrote in message

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dedler.worm.html

    > > ok had a look at the instructions from the above link.
    > >
    > > I've deleted the file from the AVG software option. However, the
    > > values given in the registry from the instruction are not listed in
    > > my registry.

    > Are you sure AVG hasn't already removed them? It is an anti-virus product,
    > after all.
    >
    > Dominic

    Yes, I am 100% sure.

    I say this because after the scan, it displays a summary and I'm not its not
    that differcult to understand the summary.
    mandy, Jun 6, 2004
  6. > Yes, I am 100% sure.

    > I say this because after the scan, it displays a summary and I'm not its
    > not
    > that differcult to understand the summary.

    The virus may not have been run, therefore not creating the reguistery
    entries.
    It could also have been in the system restore folder, where it cannot be
    deleted unless u follow the instructions on the wwebsite i gave you to
    disable it.
    Avg probably found it orginally and deleted it, but coz of system restore,
    there was a backup of it.
    Can you tell me where the virus was located?

    Gaz
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jun 6, 2004
  7. On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:46:19 +0000 (UTC), "mandy" <mandy@?.n> wrote:

    >Just ran AVG and it identified a virus (Worm/Dedler.Q). The file is
    >msexpb.dll.
    >
    >Anyone tell me how to remove this?

    ++
    Sorry I can't help you
    but can you give me the link to the AVG site?

    Thank you,

    Joseph
    joseph minelli, Jun 6, 2004
  8. mandy

    Boomer Guest

    joseph minelli <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:46:19 +0000 (UTC), "mandy" <mandy@?.n> wrote:
    >
    >>Just ran AVG and it identified a virus (Worm/Dedler.Q). The file is
    >>msexpb.dll.
    >>
    >>Anyone tell me how to remove this?
    >>

    > ++
    > Sorry I can't help you
    > but can you give me the link to the AVG site?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Joseph

    You don't use Google.com?

    http://www.grisoft.com for AVG.

    HTH

    --
    Google is your friend. :)
    Boomer, Jun 6, 2004
  9. mandy

    Special Ed Guest

    > Just ran AVG and it identified a virus (Worm/Dedler.Q). The file is
    > msexpb.dll.
    >
    > Anyone tell me how to remove this?

    Copy and paste the name/location of the infected file from your scan
    results/log into start/search/for files and folders and when you locate the
    file delete it from there. I am able to do this and get around the system
    restore that way. I eliminated:

    C:\Documents and Settings\tomnvik\Application
    Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\WebCounter.jar-645176f1-7ddfd
    de6.zip>Dummy.class (Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan)
    C:\Documents and Settings\tomnvik\Application
    Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\WebCounter.jar-645176f1-7ddfd
    de6.zip>VerifierBug.class (Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan)
    C:\Documents and Settings\tomnvik\Application
    Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\WebCounter.jar-645176f1-7ddfd
    de6.zip>WebCounter.class (Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan)
    C:\Documents and Settings\tomnvik\Application
    Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\WebCounter.jar-645176f1-7ddfd
    de6.zip>a.class (Java.Shinwow.K trojan)

    from my XP system not 10 minutes ago using this procedure. A second AV scan
    shows all nasty's eliminated.
    Special Ed, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Special Ed wrote:

    > Copy and paste the name/location of the infected file from your scan
    > results/log into start/search/for files and folders and when you locate

    the
    > file delete it from there. I am able to do this and get around the system
    > restore that way.

    Thanks for the tip. . .it worked for me.

    --
    Martin
    "Photographs From the Universe of Amateur Astronomy"
    Martin R. Howell, Jun 11, 2004