AVG constantly wants re-starts?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy with it.
    However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the icon sometimes gets
    greyed out and it won't update when I isue the update command. It requires a
    Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows notices this too and gives me a little
    red shield in systray, as if I didn't notice the AVG icon.)

    Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    (except for rarely when something weird happens like last week, explorer.exe
    using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite inconvenient as there are some
    programmes I like to run for a long time to collect data about their
    performance.

    So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to confirm that
    it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't want to re-install it
    unless I need to.

    TIA,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:52:52 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy with it.
    >However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the icon sometimes gets
    >greyed out and it won't update when I isue the update command. It requires a
    >Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows notices this too and gives me a little
    >red shield in systray, as if I didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    >
    >Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    >(except for rarely when something weird happens like last week, explorer.exe
    >using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite inconvenient as there are some
    >programmes I like to run for a long time to collect data about their
    >performance.
    >
    >So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to confirm that
    >it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't want to re-install it
    >unless I need to.

    Seems to be a bug that happens randomly.

    Any of these work?:

    http://help.lockergnome.com/general/AVG-update-reboot-changed-ftopict54267.html
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1435000&page=1

    Cima, Feb 16, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:52:52 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy
    >> with it. However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the
    >> icon sometimes gets greyed out and it won't update when I isue the
    >> update command. It requires a Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows
    >> notices this too and gives me a little red shield in systray, as if
    >> I didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    >> (except for rarely when something weird happens like last week,
    >> explorer.exe using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite
    >> inconvenient as there are some programmes I like to run for a long
    >> time to collect data about their performance.
    >>
    >> So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to
    >> confirm that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't
    >> want to re-install it unless I need to.
    >>

    > Seems to be a bug that happens randomly.
    >
    > Any of these work?:
    >
    > http://help.lockergnome.com/general/AVG-update-reboot-changed-ftopict54267.html
    > http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1435000&page=1

    Thanks muchly. I did what was suggested at both sites (without rebooting)
    and, lo and behold, the icon id now back to it's normal colour.

    Much obliged,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2008
  4. In article <47b625a3$>, says...

    > So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to confirm that
    > it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't want to re-install it
    > unless I need to.
    >
    > TIA,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    bug, I am afraid. My AVG has been updating flawlessly and without requiring
    restarts of any kind, pre- or post- update.

    h.t.h., -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 16, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    Nighthawk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy with it.
    >However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the icon sometimes gets
    >greyed out and it won't update when I isue the update command. It requires a
    >Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows notices this too and gives me a little
    >red shield in systray, as if I didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    >
    >Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    >(except for rarely when something weird happens like last week, explorer.exe
    >using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite inconvenient as there are some
    >programmes I like to run for a long time to collect data about their
    >performance.
    >
    >So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to confirm that
    >it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't want to re-install it
    >unless I need to.
    >
    >TIA,

    Only rarely does AVG require me to reboot, after updating more than
    the usual components.

    Nighthawk, Feb 16, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    > In article <47b625a3$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to
    >> confirm that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't
    >> want to re-install it unless I need to.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>

    > bug, I am afraid. My AVG has been updating flawlessly and without
    > requiring restarts of any kind, pre- or post- update.
    >
    > h.t.h., -Peter

    Hmmm, after doing what was suggested at the links Cima gave me my AVG icon
    is no loger grey but the Windows shield is still red. Maybe I need to
    re-boot, maybe I need to reinstall... We shall see. Thanks for the input
    Peter. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:52:52 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy
    >> with it. However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the
    >> icon sometimes gets greyed out and it won't update when I isue the
    >> update command. It requires a Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows
    >> notices this too and gives me a little red shield in systray, as if
    >> I didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    >> (except for rarely when something weird happens like last week,
    >> explorer.exe using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite
    >> inconvenient as there are some programmes I like to run for a long
    >> time to collect data about their performance.
    >>
    >> So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to
    >> confirm that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't
    >> want to re-install it unless I need to.
    >>
    >> TIA,

    > Only rarely does AVG require me to reboot, after updating more than
    > the usual components.

    T'was the same for me up until a few weeks ago. Thanks for the input.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    >> In article <47b625a3$>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to
    >>> confirm that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't
    >>> want to re-install it unless I need to.
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>

    >> bug, I am afraid. My AVG has been updating flawlessly and without
    >> requiring restarts of any kind, pre- or post- update.
    >>
    >> h.t.h., -Peter

    > Hmmm, after doing what was suggested at the links Cima gave me my AVG icon
    > is no loger grey but the Windows shield is still red. Maybe I need to
    > re-boot, maybe I need to reinstall... We shall see. Thanks for the input
    > Peter. :)
    > --

    If you're confident that AVG is working properly, then just treat the
    Windows security flag as a false positive. Better yet, stop Windows from
    hoisting a flag in the first place. In the Security Center, click on
    "Change the way Security Center Alerts me" in the resources panel on the
    left. Then uncheck "virus protection" (plus any other nags you're sick of).

    impossible, Feb 16, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    >>> In article <47b625a3$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> bug, I am afraid. My AVG has been updating flawlessly and without
    >>> requiring restarts of any kind, pre- or post- update.
    >>>
    >>> h.t.h., -Peter

    >> Hmmm, after doing what was suggested at the links Cima gave me my
    >> AVG icon is no loger grey but the Windows shield is still red. Maybe
    >> I need to re-boot, maybe I need to reinstall... We shall see. Thanks
    >> for the input Peter. :)
    >> --

    > If you're confident that AVG is working properly, then just treat the
    > Windows security flag as a false positive. Better yet, stop Windows
    > from hoisting a flag in the first place. In the Security Center,
    > click on "Change the way Security Center Alerts me" in the resources
    > panel on the left. Then uncheck "virus protection" (plus any other
    > nags you're sick of).

    A re-boot of Windows has fixed it. Thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:

    >>> Hmmm, after doing what was suggested at the links Cima gave me my
    >>> AVG icon is no loger grey but the Windows shield is still red. Maybe
    >>> I need to re-boot, maybe I need to reinstall... We shall see. Thanks
    >>> for the input Peter. :)
    >>> --

    >> If you're confident that AVG is working properly, then just treat the
    >> Windows security flag as a false positive. Better yet, stop Windows
    >> from hoisting a flag in the first place. In the Security Center,
    >> click on "Change the way Security Center Alerts me" in the resources
    >> panel on the left. Then uncheck "virus protection" (plus any other
    >> nags you're sick of).

    > A re-boot of Windows has fixed it. Thanks.
    > --

    Don't kid yourself. The problem will return -- you've fixed nothing.

    impossible, Feb 17, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you're confident that AVG is working properly, then just treat
    >>> the Windows security flag as a false positive. Better yet, stop
    >>> Windows from hoisting a flag in the first place. In the Security
    >>> Center, click on "Change the way Security Center Alerts me" in the
    >>> resources panel on the left. Then uncheck "virus protection" (plus
    >>> any other nags you're sick of).

    >> A re-boot of Windows has fixed it. Thanks.

    > Don't kid yourself. The problem will return -- you've fixed nothing.

    Wow! Are there two people posting as "impossible" or do you have some
    serious "Jekyll and Hyde" issues?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:

    >>> A re-boot of Windows has fixed it. Thanks.

    >> Don't kid yourself. The problem will return -- you've fixed nothing.

    > Wow! Are there two people posting as "impossible" or do you have some
    > serious "Jekyll and Hyde" issues?
    > --

    There's no need for you to be defensive. I'm simply pointing out the
    obvious: if your original problem was that you were being forced to reboot,
    then you can hardly claim to have fixed things by rebooting. But never
    mind -- I won't bother trying to help you out.

    impossible, Feb 17, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don't kid yourself. The problem will return -- you've fixed nothing.

    >> Wow! Are there two people posting as "impossible" or do you have some
    >> serious "Jekyll and Hyde" issues?
    >> --

    > There's no need for you to be defensive. I'm simply pointing out the
    > obvious: if your original problem was that you were being forced to
    > reboot, then you can hardly claim to have fixed things by rebooting.
    > But never mind -- I won't bother trying to help you out.

    I thought you were following. My original problem was AVG was asking for a
    reboot. After a while Windows started saying that the AV wasn't working or
    wasn't up -to-date. I'm fairly sure that I've fixed AVG now (without
    rebooting) but Windows still said I had no AV or out-of-date AV. *That's*
    what a reboot fixed. Window's red shield/"Windows security flag", the one
    you told me to treat as a false positive. I was saying thanks, I don't need
    to turn that 'function' off. That's when you said I was kidding myself and
    had fixed nothing.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:

    >>> Wow! Are there two people posting as "impossible" or do you have some
    >>> serious "Jekyll and Hyde" issues?
    >>> --

    >> There's no need for you to be defensive. I'm simply pointing out the
    >> obvious: if your original problem was that you were being forced to
    >> reboot, then you can hardly claim to have fixed things by rebooting.
    >> But never mind -- I won't bother trying to help you out.

    > I thought you were following. My original problem was AVG was asking for a
    > reboot. After a while Windows started saying that the AV wasn't working or
    > wasn't up -to-date. I'm fairly sure that I've fixed AVG now (without
    > rebooting) but Windows still said I had no AV or out-of-date AV. *That's*
    > what a reboot fixed. Window's red shield/"Windows security flag", the one
    > you told me to treat as a false positive. I was saying thanks, I don't
    > need to turn that 'function' off. That's when you said I was kidding
    > myself and had fixed nothing.
    > --

    Yes, the Windows security flag issue -- you haven't fixed that by simply
    rebooting. As I said, if you're confident that AVG is working properly, then
    there's no actual security problem and you can treat the Windows security
    flag as a false positive. Why? Because it's simply a matter of Windows and
    AVG being on the wrong page with regard to the time that av definitions are
    updated --Windows apparently does not turn the page until you reboot, so it
    throws up a warning flag to tell you that your up-to-date av definitions are
    out-of-date. Now, if you're happy with that scenario -- fine. If not, then I
    suggest you turn off the Windows nags as I suggested.

    impossible, Feb 17, 2008
  15. ~misfit~

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:52:52 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy
    > >> with it. However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the
    > >> icon sometimes gets greyed out and it won't update when I isue the
    > >> update command. It requires a Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows
    > >> notices this too and gives me a little red shield in systray, as if
    > >> I didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    > >>
    > >> Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    > >> (except for rarely when something weird happens like last week,
    > >> explorer.exe using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite
    > >> inconvenient as there are some programmes I like to run for a long
    > >> time to collect data about their performance.
    > >>
    > >> So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to
    > >> confirm that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't
    > >> want to re-install it unless I need to.
    > >>
    > >> TIA,

    > > Only rarely does AVG require me to reboot, after updating more than
    > > the usual components.

    > T'was the same for me up until a few weeks ago. Thanks for the input.

    Hey Shaun

    Did you by any chance havr the trial paid for features installed ? I did
    on one kids machines and had similar probs once trial finished. Ended up
    reinstalling just free version and no probs for last couple months.

    Hope alls well with you mate.

    I have written your postal address in my address book and misplaced it
    LOL. Finally getting around to sending you some mags an DVDs this week
    but needed that addy. Drop me an email with it and was it only NZPost
    that'll deliver to your door ? I forget but remember you prefer one
    courier over rest.
    --

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.

    bAZZ, Feb 17, 2008
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> There's no need for you to be defensive. I'm simply pointing out the
    >>> obvious: if your original problem was that you were being forced to
    >>> reboot, then you can hardly claim to have fixed things by
    >>> rebooting. But never mind -- I won't bother trying to help you out.

    >> I thought you were following. My original problem was AVG was asking
    >> for a reboot. After a while Windows started saying that the AV
    >> wasn't working or wasn't up -to-date. I'm fairly sure that I've
    >> fixed AVG now (without rebooting) but Windows still said I had no AV
    >> or out-of-date AV. *That's* what a reboot fixed. Window's red
    >> shield/"Windows security flag", the one you told me to treat as a
    >> false positive. I was saying thanks, I don't need to turn that
    >> 'function' off. That's when you said I was kidding myself and had
    >> fixed nothing. --

    > Yes, the Windows security flag issue -- you haven't fixed that by
    > simply rebooting.

    No, I know, I've merely made it go away for now.

    > As I said, if you're confident that AVG is working
    > properly, then there's no actual security problem and you can treat
    > the Windows security flag as a false positive.

    Yes. The security flag was set as AVG reported a problem to Windows, which
    flagged it. I think I have AVG working just fine now and it didn't need a
    reboot to do that. (Although I have downloaded the latest package and it's
    merely the work of moments to uninstall/reinstall I prefer to try to work
    out what's gone wrong rather than brute-force it.) However, getting AVG
    working didn't re-set the flag, it took a reboot to do that.

    > Why? Because it's
    > simply a matter of Windows and AVG being on the wrong page with
    > regard to the time that av definitions are updated --Windows
    > apparently does not turn the page until you reboot, so it throws up a
    > warning flag to tell you that your up-to-date av definitions are
    > out-of-date. Now, if you're happy with that scenario -- fine. If not,
    > then I suggest you turn off the Windows nags as I suggested.

    Yeah, that was my point. I'm happy with that. There could come a time when
    the Windows flag is useful so I'd rather not turn it off unless it becomes a
    recurring problem, which it hasn't to date.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 18, 2008
  17. ~misfit~

    Brett Guest

    impossible wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:

    I suppose it is impossible to snip the previous text when you reply.

    Brett, Feb 18, 2008
  18. ~misfit~

    Brett Guest

    Brett, Feb 18, 2008
  19. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy
    > with it. However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the
    > icon sometimes gets greyed out and it won't update when I isue the
    > update command. It requires a Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows
    > notices this too and gives me a little red shield in systray, as if I
    > didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    >
    > Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    > (except for rarely when something weird happens like last week,
    > explorer.exe using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite
    > inconvenient as there are some programmes I like to run for a long
    > time to collect data about their performance.
    >
    > So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to confirm
    > that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't want to
    > re-install it unless I need to.

    You are running the free version, right? I've found that after a
    variable period of running it, it goes wrong - eg updates just fail and
    you have to uninstall and reinstall every month. That quickly gets
    boring and if you ask the techs they say pay for the full version.
    That's fair enough, but a) it's suspicious that it randomly stops
    working and b) is there a guarantee that the paid-for version doesn't
    have the same problems?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 20, 2008
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been running AVG for a long time now. and have been very happy
    >> with it. However, in the last month or more I've noticed that the
    >> icon sometimes gets greyed out and it won't update when I isue the
    >> update command. It requires a Windows re-start. (Sometimes Windows
    >> notices this too and gives me a little red shield in systray, as if I
    >> didn't notice the AVG icon.)
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro. Normally I don't re-start my machine for weeks on end
    >> (except for rarely when something weird happens like last week,
    >> explorer.exe using 1,299MB of RAM). Frankly this is quite
    >> inconvenient as there are some programmes I like to run for a long
    >> time to collect data about their performance.
    >>
    >> So...... Question: Have others noticed this? I'd just like to confirm
    >> that it *IS* AVG rather than a bug in the machine. I don't want to
    >> re-install it unless I need to.
    >>

    > You are running the free version, right? I've found that after a
    > variable period of running it, it goes wrong - eg updates just fail
    > and you have to uninstall and reinstall every month. That quickly gets
    > boring and if you ask the techs they say pay for the full version.
    > That's fair enough, but a) it's suspicious that it randomly stops
    > working and b) is there a guarantee that the paid-for version doesn't
    > have the same problems?

    Thanks for that Cliff. Yes, I'm using the free version. I seem to have fixed
    it by following links kindly supplied to me. However, I'll possibly do a
    re-install tomorrow as I've just downloaded the latest and put it on a USB
    stick to install on the neighbour's laptop.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 20, 2008