    I used House Call to detect it.

    This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its cracked up
    to be.

    HJB, Jul 13, 2004

  2. HJB

    Ron Martell Guest

    "HJB" <> wrote:

    >Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every other
    >day... whenever they're available.
    >
    >I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it... even
    >after running complete scans.
    >
    >I used House Call to detect it.
    >
    >This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its cracked up
    >to be.

    Regardless of your experience with AVG you have to admit that it is
    worth every penny you paid for it. :)

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jul 13, 2004

  3. HJB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    >| "HJB" <> wrote:
    >|
    >| >Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every
    >| >other day... whenever they're available.
    >| >
    >| >I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect
    >| >it... even after running complete scans.
    >| >
    >| >I used House Call to detect it.
    >| >
    >| >This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its
    >| >cracked up to be.
    >| >

    >| Regardless of your experience with AVG you have to admit that it is
    >| worth every penny you paid for it. :)

    ROTFL! I can't argue with that, Ron!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 13, 2004
  4. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:01:33 GMT, in
    <>
    Ron Martell scrawled:

    >"HJB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every other
    >>day... whenever they're available.
    >>
    >>I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it... even
    >>after running complete scans.
    >>
    >>I used House Call to detect it.
    >>
    >>This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its cracked up
    >>to be.
    >>

    >Regardless of your experience with AVG you have to admit that it is
    >worth every penny you paid for it. :)

    I did notice the smiley, and yes it's free, but when you
    use it because of recommendations, and then it costs
    you time and/or money because it fails to protect your
    system, it's not so cheap....

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2004
  5. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:48:38 -0700, in
    <>
    HJB scrawled:

    >Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every other
    >day... whenever they're available.
    >
    >I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it... even
    >after running complete scans.
    >
    >I used House Call to detect it.
    >
    >This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its cracked up
    >to be.

    Yup, it's crappola, ok.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2004
  6. HJB

    Hawkeye Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:48:38 -0700, in
    <>
    HJB scrawled:

    >Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every other
    >day... whenever they're available.
    >
    >I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it... even
    >after running complete scans.
    >
    >I used House Call to detect it.
    >
    >This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its cracked

    up
    >to be.

    Yup, it's crappola, ok.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    I've been using AVG for 5 years now, and I've never had a problem with
    viruses. My Yahoo! account is pretty good at scanning my emails, as well.
    Besides, you shouldn't be opening emails from people you don't know. As
    someone in this group has said before, you shouldn't place all your eggs in
    one basket. In other words, use more than one virus scan!

    M2CW,
    Hawkeye

    Hawkeye, Jul 13, 2004
  7. HJB

    WormWood Guest

    > "HJB" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every

    other
    > >day... whenever they're available.
    > >
    > >I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it...

    even
    > >after running complete scans.
    > >
    > >I used House Call to detect it.
    > >
    > >This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its

    cracked up
    > >to be.
    > >

    > Regardless of your experience with AVG you have to admit that it is
    > worth every penny you paid for it. :)

    LOL Great financial consulting work there, Ron.

    WormWood, Jul 13, 2004
  8. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:31:36 -0400, in
    <>
    Hawkeye scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:48:38 -0700, in
    > <>
    > HJB scrawled:
    >
    >>Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every other
    >>day... whenever they're available.
    >>
    >>I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it... even
    >>after running complete scans.
    >>
    >>I used House Call to detect it.
    >>
    >>This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its cracked

    >up
    >>to be.

    >Yup, it's crappola, ok.
    >

    >I've been using AVG for 5 years now, and I've never had a problem with
    >viruses.

    What does that prove?

    >My Yahoo! account is pretty good at scanning my emails, as well.

    The only viruses you are likely to get in a Yahoo! account are
    the well known internet worms, which EVERY antivirus scanner,
    that can call itself one, should detect without problem.

    >Besides, you shouldn't be opening emails from people you don't know.

    I'm not!?

    >As someone in this group has said before, you shouldn't place all
    >your eggs in one basket. In other words, use more than one virus
    >scan!

    The subject is the (in)efficacy of one particular scanner ... AVG.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2004
  9. HJB

    Iceman© Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:01:33 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Ron Martell scrawled:
    >
    > >"HJB" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Well, I have AVG on my system and I do the updates at least every other
    > >>day... whenever they're available.
    > >>
    > >>I had the HTML Netsky deal on my system and AVG did not detect it...

    even
    > >>after running complete scans.
    > >>
    > >>I used House Call to detect it.
    > >>
    > >>This is just a chime in to agree with Mike that AVG isn't all its

    cracked up
    > >>to be.
    > >>

    > >Regardless of your experience with AVG you have to admit that it is
    > >worth every penny you paid for it. :)

    > I did notice the smiley, and yes it's free, but when you
    > use it because of recommendations, and then it costs
    > you time and/or money because it fails to protect your
    > system, it's not so cheap....

    Any recommendations other than AVG?

    Iceman©, Jul 13, 2004
  10. HJB

    SwissTony Guest

    "Andrew Foster" <> wrote in message
    > Go for Norton. Not as cheap as that AVG crap, but it does work.

    Doesn't it cause problems with other programs and hog the resources of ur
    pc?

    SwissTony, Jul 13, 2004
  11. HJB

    docmill Guest

    "SwissTony" <> wrote in

    > "Andrew Foster" <> wrote in message
    >> Go for Norton. Not as cheap as that AVG crap, but it does work.

    > Doesn't it cause problems with other programs and hog the resources of
    > ur pc?

    Yes,............. What do you want a PC for, if you can't run the thing?

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, Jul 13, 2004
  12. Go for Norton. Not as cheap as that AVG crap, but it does work.

    Andrew Foster, Jul 13, 2004
  13. Not for me it doesn't.
    I have got a pretty powerful machine, nothing spectacular.
    AMD 2500 CPU, 512mb DDR 333 RAM, Radeon 128mb DDR graphics.

    I've never had a problem with Norton. Except the price!

    Andy

    Andrew Foster, Jul 13, 2004
  14. HJB

    Jayant patil Guest

    AVG is the Best...better than any other AV availble in market.

    Jayant patil, Jul 13, 2004
  15. HJB

    gangle Guest

    "Jayant patil" wrote
    > AVG is the Best...better than any other AV
    > availble in market.

    You must have an inoperable brain tumor.

    gangle, Jul 13, 2004
  16. HJB

    Buffalo Guest

    Only in your mind. But, if it works OK for you, then I hope it continues to
    do so. :)

    Buffalo, Jul 13, 2004
  17. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:53:53 +1000, in
    <>
    Iceman© scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:01:33 GMT, in
    >> <>
    >> Ron Martell scrawled:

    <snip>

    >> >Regardless of your experience with AVG you have to admit that it is
    >> >worth every penny you paid for it. :)

    >> I did notice the smiley, and yes it's free, but when you
    >> use it because of recommendations, and then it costs
    >> you time and/or money because it fails to protect your
    >> system, it's not so cheap....

    >Any recommendations other than AVG?

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2004
  18. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    I wouldn't touch Norton bloatware crap with
    a barge pole. There are FAR superior products
    out there.

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:38:42 GMT, in
    <mcNIc.20$>
    Andrew Foster scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2004
  19. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:24:07 +0100, in
    <>
    SwissTony scrawled:

    >"Andrew Foster" <> wrote in message
    >> Go for Norton. Not as cheap as that AVG crap, but it does work.

    >Doesn't it cause problems with other programs and hog the
    >resources of ur pc?

    Yes, it does.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance