    long term use out of these free apps and what is your evaluation of them?
    Thanks
    Robert
    VanShania, Jan 21, 2006

  2. VanShania

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    VanShania wrote:

    > I just started using these free apps as I have never used any type of
    > security other than XP firewall and the firewall on my router. Any users had
    > long term use out of these free apps and what is your evaluation of them?

    Robert,

    Here is my 0.02 on the AV subject. AFAIAC, polls and the reviews of
    sites that accept advertising from AV vendors is pretty much
    worthless. Stick to tests and comparatives. Some AV info for your perusal:

    AV-Test (Andreas Marx - Germany)
    (http://www.av-test.org/)
    AV-Comparatives (Andreas Clementi - Austria)
    (http://www.av-comparatives.org/)
    Food for thought (Eugene Kaspersky)
    (http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=174405517)

    Here are the preferences that I have gleaned from the various
    security/paranoia NGs in which I hang out:

    Free: AVG, Avast!, AntiVir
    Paid: KAV, NOD32
    Bottom of the List: Norton, McAfee

    The knock against NAV and McAfee is due to bias (they're the big guys)
    and issues not related to detection rates. Note that these assessments
    are for AV apps for home/SOHO/personal use. The same may or may not be
    said about the enterprise or corporate editions. I have personally
    used McAfee, Norton, AVG and KAV.

    I use KAV (Kaspersky Labs):
    (http://www.kaspersky.com/us/products)
    NOD32 (Eset):
    (http://www.nod32-av.com/products/products.htm)

    For one with no AV protection, an option is to download one of the
    free AV apps while investigating all other options:

    AVG - Grisoft
    (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Programs/lng/us/tpl/tpl01)
    Avast! - ALWIL Software
    AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
    (http://www.free-av.com/)

    All of the above AV apps may be upgraded to a
    Professional/Full-Featured AV app for a fee.

    Some General Anti-Virus info:
    (http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/virusprevention.html)
    (http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html)

    A word to wise. Unlike Anti-Spyware applications, where the
    multi-layered approach is preferable, Anti-Virus (resident)
    applications absolutely do NOT like each other, and one should be
    uninstalled completely before installing another. In many cases, eg.,
    with Symantec products, this is easier said than done. In order to
    switch or even evaluate another AV, you MUST completely remove NAV.
    Some info about removing AV apps (particularly NAV):
    (http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233)
    And so, before you install ANY AV application, make sure that you
    acquire all information/tools/utilities that are necessary for its
    COMPLETE removal. You have been warned.

    At any rate, those are my thoughts on the AV subject.

    Here is my 0.02 (at this time) on the PFW issue. AFAIC, polls,
    opinions and reviews don't mean squat. This is old, but it is the only
    comparative test that I have seen on PFWs:

    (http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm)

    This is from the camp that subscribes to the belief that a software
    solution (a PFW) is important. Things like stealth, outbound
    protection, port blocking. etc. are important considerations. Many of
    these people find it unlikely that the best AV vendor would also make
    the best PFW.

    This is indicative of the sentiments of the other camp:

    (http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html)

    This camp subscribes to the philosophy that things like stealth,
    outbound protection, port blocking. etc. are all marketing BS. Many of
    these people would say to use the Windows XP firewall and forget the
    rest this nonsense.

    I must admit that having studied this issue for the past 8 months, I
    am leaning toward the second camp.

    Ron :)
    Ron Lopshire, Jan 21, 2006

  3. VanShania

    VanShania Guest

    Thanks Ron.

    I have just been relying on my router firewall and XPs firewall, and my
    computer has always seemed sluggish. I did a fresh install of the OS and
    drivers and before hooking up to the net, installed ZoneAlarm firewall free
    version which blocks unwanted incoming and outgoing "bugs". Now my computer
    scims along like it never has before. Though I did install updated vidcard
    drivers which boosted my benchmark 1500 points( 10906 to 12412), it still
    never operated like it is when I had these drivers installed previously.
    ZoneAlarm has blocked 19 intrusions from the same ip address in 2 hours,
    meaning that when I was just using the mentioned firewalls, these attacks
    were actually getting through( I still have my router attached). Again, I
    must admit I did install my ATI drivers differently this time( loaded Direct
    X 9c then vid drivers, then DX9c again, uninstalled vidcard drivers and
    reinstalled them overtop of dx9) so maybe this was the problem too. But at
    any rate, the performance of my computer is like it never was before.ATI
    recommends installing Vidcard drivers overtop Direct X).

    VanShania, Jan 21, 2006
  4. VanShania

    Notan Guest

    Olive wrote:

    > What other programs like Zone Alarm exist?
    > Do they all spy on their users?

    "Do they all spy on their users?"

    Care to elaborate?

    Notan
    Notan, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Notan wrote:

    > Olive wrote:
    >>
    >> What other programs like Zone Alarm exist? Do they all spy on their
    >> users?

    > "Do they all spy on their users?"
    >
    > Care to elaborate?

    ZA is psyware. Phones home even after you tell it not to. The tin foil
    crowd even claims it's NSA "tracking-ware". ;)

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html

    George Orwell, Jan 22, 2006
  6. VanShania

    Olive Guest

    Olive, Jan 22, 2006
  7. VanShania

    VanShania Guest

    From ZoneAlarm info site

    Alexa Toolbar comes bundled with other programs, which may include Windows
    XP, Internet Explorer 6.0. It can also be downloaded from Alexa's website
    and installed directly by someone with administrative access to your
    computer Alexa Toolbar is a program that includes a pop-up manager (it
    blocks pop-ups), a web search function (powered by Google) and buttons that
    provide additional information, such as site information, and related sites.
    Alexa also sends information about all web pages you visit back to Alexa's
    servers. It includes both page URLs and data you sent to web sites as a part
    of URL.

    I also forgot to turn on zonealarm before rebooting and sure enough, my
    optical drive performance became sluggish again. So if you don't have a good
    firewall, you got spyware. I downloaded Zone Alarms free version and tryed
    the pro version for 15 days. This allows you to delete it out of your system
    or quarentine it. Though I don't know if it stays qaurentined after the 15
    days so maybe deleting it is the better idea. I deleted mine and I don't
    have any problems from deleting this file.

    If you use aawpersonal, you've probably seen this spyware being cleaned.

    VanShania, Jan 29, 2006
  8. VanShania

    VanShania Guest

    I deleted Alexa out of my computer with ZoneAlarm Pro (15 day trial) and no
    ill effects at all. So get rid of it.

    --
    XP2600@171 fsb@1.65Volts
    AIW9600XT, A7N8X-X