    it would all work well with Windows XP firewall left running at same time?
    Thanks for any help with this.

    John
    John Lee, Nov 15, 2006

  2. John Lee

    - Bobb - Guest

    "John Lee" <> wrote in message
    news:Z0C6h.8622$...
    >I have just downloaded the 7.5 upgrade to AVG Free AntiVirus, and all
    >works well. I am considering using ZoneAlarm free firewall. The AVG 7.5
    >download manual suggests that there could be problems when using
    >ZoneAlarm PRO, but makes no mention of the ZoneAlarm FREE version. Does
    >anyone know whether the PRO problems referred to would also apply to
    >the free version? Also whether it would all work well with Windows XP
    >firewall left running at same time? Thanks for any help with this.
    >
    > John

    Why 2 firewalls ? Wouldn't one of them have to " let everything though"
    to the second - thereby do nothing ? I've used ZA free version for
    years and no issues - so never turned on windows firewall on this PC. I
    use Windows firewall on work PC - 'cause that's what they use.

    As for AVG vs Norton AV ...? I always buy my NAV during the sales (
    that seem to be every month ) and so it's FREE after rebate. So, other
    than price, does anyone out there know "which is better" ? I guess if
    they both prevent viruses they're both equal, but maybe less overhead on
    one vs the other etc .
    - Bobb -, Nov 15, 2006

  3. John Lee

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "John Lee" <> wrote in message
    >I have just downloaded the 7.5 upgrade to AVG Free AntiVirus, and all works
    >well. I am considering using ZoneAlarm free firewall. The AVG 7.5 download
    >manual suggests that there could be problems when using ZoneAlarm PRO, but
    >makes no mention of the ZoneAlarm FREE version. Does anyone know whether
    >the PRO problems referred to would also apply to the free version? Also
    >whether it would all work well with Windows XP firewall left running at
    >same time? Thanks for any help with this.
    >
    > John

    I use both, since the last AVG upgrade there is no problem on any on my
    PC's. The Windows firewall is worthless. Anyone who tells you it will do
    anything either is having fun lying to you, or they are just ignorant and
    love to hear themselves talk. If you want to leave the Windows one on it
    does not seem to hurt from what I have seen. You definitely need a real
    firewall if you are using your computer to access the net, do not trust the
    Windows joke.
    --
    GUN CONTROL: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and
    strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman
    Alex Clayton, Nov 15, 2006
  4. I run AVG anti virus and ZoneAlarm free, without any problem.

    --
    Jan
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/

    Jan van Gastel, Nov 15, 2006
  5. John Lee

    bmoag Guest

    The two programs are completely compatible.
    If you are running your system behind a hardware firewall, such as provided
    by wireless router, the benefits of a software firewall beyond that provided
    by WinXP for most users is somewhat dubious.
    Zone Alarm does not always automatically recognize and configure wireless
    adapters on a network and manual configuration can be difficult. I have also
    found Zone Alarm support for the Pro version to not always be responsive or
    even helpful.
    bmoag, Nov 15, 2006
  6. John Lee

    Brian Guest

    I have run AVG and Zone Alarm free for years. I had no issues upgrading and
    it works fine together on XP Home and Win Me (not supported by Zone Alarm).
    I agree the windows firewall (as well as security center) is not very good.
    I recommend diabling the firewall and ignoring the security center notices.
    It randomly tells you that the firewall or virus programs are out of date or
    not installed even after updates of the programs.
    Brian, Nov 18, 2006
  7. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    Thanks everyone for your help with my query.

    John

    John Lee, Nov 20, 2006