AVG and hotmail account

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LAH, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. LAH

    LAH Guest

    I've have had a hotmail account for many years that is set up so I can check
    it through OE 6. It's my understanding that sometime ago MSN decided to
    drop this service. However, they notified my that since my account is one
    of long standing I could continue to access it through OE as I always have.

    Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free Edition. I'm
    having problems setting it up so it will automatically scan the emails from
    my hotmail account when OE is downloading them. I've tried visiting the
    forum at AVG but have had no luck in finding the answer to my problem. They
    have a great post about web mail scanning using a third party application
    but I guess that is not exactly what I have. Can someone help me set this
    up or can it be set up?

    I have:
    Windows 98SE
    OE 6
    The mail server for my hotmail account is:
    http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

    Thanks for any help you can send my way!
    LAH, Aug 30, 2005

  2. LAH

    Plato Guest

    LAH wrote:

    > Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free Edition. I'm
    > having problems setting it up so it will automatically scan the emails from
    > my hotmail account when OE is downloading them. I've tried visiting the

    Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or out.
    You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if there are
    never any viruses in such.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 30, 2005

  3. LAH

    LAH Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > LAH wrote:
    > >
    > > Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free Edition.

    I'm
    > > having problems setting it up so it will automatically scan the emails

    from
    > > my hotmail account when OE is downloading them. I've tried visiting the

    > Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or out.
    > You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if there are
    > never any viruses in such.
    >
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Please tell me how you manage your emails? Do you scan them after
    downloading but before opening, open them and hope the anti virus program
    catches the bad bugs before they do any damage or what? I'm open to any
    reasonable suggestions. Thanks
    LAH, Aug 30, 2005
  4. LAH

    trout Guest

    LAH wrote:

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> LAH wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free
    >>> Edition. I'm having problems setting it up so it will automatically
    >>> scan the emails from my hotmail account when OE is downloading
    >>> them. I've tried visiting the

    >> Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or
    >> out. You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if
    >> there are never any viruses in such.
    >>
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/

    > Please tell me how you manage your emails? Do you scan them after
    > downloading but before opening, open them and hope the anti virus
    > program catches the bad bugs before they do any damage or what? I'm
    > open to any reasonable suggestions. Thanks

    There are several easy precautions you can take with OE. First and
    foremost, would be to read all messages in Plain Text (Tools; Options;
    Read tab.) That will stop nasties from being automatically executed when
    opening the mail. If there is something you *want* to see, you can use
    an 'on-demand' scan, and then change the view if it's safe.
    You should also read mail from a suspicious source (what I'd
    consider anything from Hotmail) with the Preview Pane turned off (View;
    Layout), so that you can review, and delete headers, without opening the
    mail. You can add a button to your toolbar to toggle this on and off,
    for convenience.
    Finally, *never* open spam.
    --
    Never, ever, for any reason.
    trout, Aug 30, 2005
  5. LAH

    Plato Guest

    LAH wrote:

    > > Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or out.
    > > You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if there are
    > > never any viruses in such.

    > Please tell me how you manage your emails? Do you scan them after
    > downloading but before opening, open them and hope the anti virus program
    > catches the bad bugs before they do any damage or what? I'm open to any
    > reasonable suggestions. Thanks

    The first step is to delete any mail from unknown senders that have
    attachments and not even bother to open it or save it. If however, I am
    expecting an attachment, then I save it to a folder and scan it then.
    Personally I dont have a virus scanner working 24/7.

    However, if you do have your anti-virus working 24/7 without the special
    emaill function, and go and try to open the attachemnt, then at THAT
    time it will scan the file.
    Plato, Aug 31, 2005
  6. LAH

    Plato Guest