avg/agent/firefox=crashes galore

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by some idiot, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. some idiot

    some idiot Guest

    Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do a search
    on google and it may load the results or it just might crash in the process. If
    the results do get loaded then it might crash when I click on a link. Just today
    alone FF crashed just about every time.

    You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon doesn't
    animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely slow.

    Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a reboot.

    Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things that show the
    site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?

    With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously get shut
    down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.

    Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software that works the
    way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing how much crap they can
    add in without bothering to fix what is broken?
     
    some idiot, Jun 10, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. some idiot

    Buffalo Guest

    some idiot wrote:
    > Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do
    > a search on google and it may load the results or it just might crash
    > in the process. If the results do get loaded then it might crash when
    > I click on a link. Just today alone FF crashed just about every time.
    >
    > You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon
    > doesn't animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely
    > slow.
    >
    > Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a
    > reboot.
    >
    > Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things
    > that show the site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?
    >
    > With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously
    > get shut down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.
    >
    > Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software
    > that works the way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing
    > how much crap they can add in without bothering to fix what is broken?


    While you're waiting for more help, dl AVG again, save it to somewhere you
    can find it, uninstall AVG, reboot and install it again.
    Only takes a few minutes and you won't lose your bookmarks or preferences.
    Buffalo
    PS:There will be other suggestions coming from those more in the know, but I
    would sure try what I suggested now.
     
    Buffalo, Jun 10, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. some idiot

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:11:20 -0600, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >
    >some idiot wrote:
    >> Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do
    >> a search on google and it may load the results or it just might crash
    >> in the process. If the results do get loaded then it might crash when
    >> I click on a link. Just today alone FF crashed just about every time.
    >>
    >> You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon
    >> doesn't animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things
    >> that show the site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?
    >>
    >> With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously
    >> get shut down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.
    >>
    >> Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software
    >> that works the way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing
    >> how much crap they can add in without bothering to fix what is broken?

    >
    >While you're waiting for more help, dl AVG again, save it to somewhere you
    >can find it, uninstall AVG, reboot and install it again.
    >Only takes a few minutes and you won't lose your bookmarks or preferences.
    >Buffalo
    >PS:There will be other suggestions coming from those more in the know, but I
    >would sure try what I suggested now.
    >



    That's what I was thinking. Do a new install rather than an upgrade.
     
    richard, Jun 10, 2009
    #3
  4. some idiot

    alan Guest

    "some idiot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do a
    > search
    > on google and it may load the results or it just might crash in the
    > process. If
    > the results do get loaded then it might crash when I click on a link. Just
    > today
    > alone FF crashed just about every time.
    >
    > You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon doesn't
    > animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely slow.
    >
    > Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a reboot.



    Just for the hell of it, you may want to try re-installing AVG . . .



    > Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things that
    > show the
    > site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?


    If you're talking about those little green stars with a white check mark
    showing up next to google search results, that's the Link Scanner. To turn
    that off, click the AVG icon on your toolbar to open up AVG, double click
    Link Scanner, UN-check "Enable AVG Search shield". If you don't want to be
    bothered with the exclamation mark showing up on that Link Scanner icon
    afterwards, then right-click the LinkScanner icon, and check "ignore
    component state" . . .

    --
    alan
     
    alan, Jun 10, 2009
    #4
  5. some idiot

    alan Guest

    "richard" wrote
    > That's what I was thinking. Do a new install rather than an upgrade.


    Rather than an upgrade to what?
     
    alan, Jun 10, 2009
    #5
  6. some idiot wrote:

    > Firefox 2 continously crashes.


    Curious. Why are you still using Firefox 2? Version 3.0.10 is the
    current version.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 10, 2009
    #6
  7. some idiot

    Buffalo Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > some idiot wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox 2 continously crashes.

    >
    > Curious. Why are you still using Firefox 2? Version 3.0.10 is the
    > current version.

    I missed that totally. :)
    Buffalo
    PS: Good catch. :(
     
    Buffalo, Jun 11, 2009
    #7
  8. some idiot

    chuckcar Guest

    some idiot <> wrote in
    news::

    > Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do a
    > search on google and it may load the results or it just might crash in
    > the process. If the results do get loaded then it might crash when I
    > click on a link. Just today alone FF crashed just about every time.
    >
    > You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon
    > doesn't animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely slow.
    >
    > Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a reboot.
    >
    > Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things that
    > show the site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?
    >
    > With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously get
    > shut down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.
    >
    > Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software that
    > works the way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing how
    > much crap they can add in without bothering to fix what is broken?
    >

    Try going back to the previous version. Just because a new version is out
    doesn't mean it fixes any errors or works any better. More often the exact
    opposite. That applies to *anything*.


    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, Jun 11, 2009
    #8
  9. some idiot

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:17:31 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Try going back to the previous version. Just because a new version is out
    >doesn't mean it fixes any errors or works any better. More often the exact
    >opposite. That applies to *anything*.


    Yes. Always a good recommendation to run out of date antivirus
    applications.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, Jun 11, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DaPunisher

    Links Galore!

    DaPunisher, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,025
    DaPunisher
    Sep 3, 2003
  2. MCSE World

    Re: Links Galore!

    MCSE World, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    737
    MCSE World
    Sep 3, 2003
  3. Dyuob Poltice
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,036
    Stephen Cooke
    Apr 27, 2004
  4. Re: Possibilities Galore

    , Dec 29, 2007, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    484
  5. Cuckoo_Bird

    INFO GALORE WITH NEW COMPUTER SYSTEM

    Cuckoo_Bird, Sep 18, 2009, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    802
    Cuckoo_Bird
    Sep 18, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page