AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    Anyone else have an issue ?

    I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up, checked
    battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I downloaded/
    installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran a scan- ran
    fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop only
    occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email. During the
    second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an update and a
    short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected problems in
    C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine, fix,delete ?.
    Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date on the " serious
    files" was previous to my trip and the others were dated the first week of
    my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get notified before, and chose
    quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE since it just did an update -
    I had a new virus/spyware and the latest update looked for it. A few days
    later I turned it on to tranfer pictures ( no internet) and it "found some
    more issues". I then right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless
    Networks " tab (to investigate this online), and when I clicked on
    Wireless Networks saw a Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is
    messed up - I can't display the desired info - do a restore." I then went
    into AVG quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still
    couldn't see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error
    message. After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.

    I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else has
    had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data or
    format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
    isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all of
    these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
    'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
    anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some corruption,
    but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this with
    AVG8.

    - Bobb -, Oct 3, 2008

  2. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "HH" <> wrote in message
    > AVG 8 has some false detection issues. On my Acer laptop, it "detected"
    > 5 trojans in the install file for an AverMedia TV tuner express card. I
    > contacted AverMedia and they assured me there were no viruses in their
    > software. They contacted AVG and a few weeks later there was an AVG
    > update that corrected the issue. I would contact AVG via e-mail and ask.
    > I'm not saying you do not have a virus issue, but I'd check it out.
    > You also might do a free online scan offered by firms such as PC Cillin.
    >
    > HH

    That's what I suspect - a false detection - and also
    corruption/interaction since it 'messed up' some parts of laptop even
    after I chose to "put them back as they were".

    I have to do a restore to get "things to work as they did prior to AVG".
    I'll send along to HP - thanks.

    - Bobb -, Oct 3, 2008

  3. - Bobb -

    saycheez Guest

    While AVG is very good, particularly given its free price, at finding
    viruses it occasionally has false positives.
    You can research these on the web.
    I use AVG but I think it is a trifle worse in this regard than, e.g.,
    Norton. On the other hand, unlike Norton, it is free, does not cut your
    system's performance in half and will not trash your hard drive when you try
    to uninstall it. Norton, a la Vista, issues warnings about perfectly
    innocuous activities without telling you what the threat might actually be.
    While on the subject of Norton: it came pre-installed on a computer my
    elderly mother bought. The computer froze frequently, almost always when
    coming out of any suspend mode. Deleting Norton and installing AVG cured the
    problem.
    Just saying . . .

    saycheez, Oct 3, 2008
  4. - Bobb -

    John Holmes Guest

    boat987 "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > I got my MCSE

    Minesweaper Consultant and Solitaire Expert, that's what you are.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Oct 3, 2008
  5. - Bobb -

    ShadowTek Guest

    AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was released.

    I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
    worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.

    I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

    ShadowTek, Oct 3, 2008
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "ShadowTek" <> wrote in message
    > AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was
    > released.
    >
    > I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
    > worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.
    >
    > I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

    My thoughts exactly - until this version it was great. ( still copying
    from laptop to desktop ... ALMOST done)
    I googled "AVG8 and FALSE POSITIVE" and found lots of complaints. I have a
    note written that I'm gonna send to HP - maybe they can post to prevent
    others from going through this. I'll send along - once I know the outcome

    - Bobb -, Oct 3, 2008
  7. - Bobb -

    Ben Myers Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    > Anyone else have an issue ?
    >
    > I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    > months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up,
    > checked battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I
    > downloaded/ installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran
    > a scan- ran fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop
    > only occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email.
    > During the second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an
    > update and a short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected
    > problems in C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine,
    > fix,delete ?. Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date
    > on the " serious files" was previous to my trip and the others were
    > dated the first week of my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get
    > notified before, and chose quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE
    > since it just did an update - I had a new virus/spyware and the latest
    > update looked for it. A few days later I turned it on to tranfer
    > pictures ( no internet) and it "found some more issues". I then
    > right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless Networks " tab (to
    > investigate this online), and when I clicked on Wireless Networks saw a
    > Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is messed up - I can't
    > display the desired info - do a restore." I then went into AVG
    > quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still couldn't see
    > 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error message.
    > After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    > problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    > returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.
    >
    > I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    > copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    > restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else
    > has had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data
    > or format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
    > isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all
    > of these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
    > 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
    > anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    > video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some
    > corruption, but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else
    > noticed this with AVG8.

    Here's another scenario without false positives. Let's say that your
    computer contracted a virus infection and then you did some sort of
    software update, Windows or otherwise. If an infected file was replaced
    by the update, it gets bundled up with all the other older files into
    the restore point. AVG does a scan and rightfully finds a virus right
    there in the middle of a restore point.

    I do not envy the developers of any of these anti-virus programs for the
    difficult task they do. The trade press and the general news media
    report almost daily on the newest scams, the hacker groups and so on.

    AVG is still better than most. For me, this week involved solving
    serious software problems on two different computers, one with Norton
    Internet Security and the other with McAfee Internet Security. My
    experiences confirmed once again that I would not install these products
    on the computers of my worst enemy... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 18, 2008