AVG 8.0 doesn't work for me

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I've been using AVG free versions for some years, but recently I
    upgraded to 8.0, and it doesn't work on my machine, which is running
    W2k. There are two obvious symptoms. First, when I start an update, it
    appears to function normally, but when it completes I still see the
    message "New update available". Next, and more serious, when I try to
    scan nothing happens. There is no error message, just no response to
    clicking "Start scan".

    Another odd behaviour occurs when I attempt to set a schedule for
    scanning. After I define the schedule and click Apply or OK, a pop-up
    tells me that the current user may not have sufficient permission, and
    asks me to give a username and password. This happens even if I am
    logged on as administrator. In any event, it doesn't matter, because
    whatever the rights of the user, no schedule is created. When I go out
    and return to this screen it is always back to the default.

    Two questions:
    Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?
    If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that works?

    Thanks

    Gib Bogle, Oct 26, 2008

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <ge3pl2$r45$>,
    > says...
    >> Two questions:
    >> Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?

    > not me - it identified my WinXP (sp1) as win2k and subsequently refused
    > to install.
    > I have, on the other hand, had no problem installing it on vanilla xp
    > machines with SP2.
    >
    >> If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that works?

    > Avast!
    >
    > -Peter

    Thanks Peter, I'll try that.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 26, 2008

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:25:22 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?

    >> It needs W2K with SP4 and SRP1 before it will work.

    > As EMB has said, it installs fine with SP4. I have had it running for
    > months with no issues.

    I have SP4. What is SRP1?

    Gib Bogle, Oct 26, 2008
  4. In article <ge3pl2$r45$>,
    says...

    Peter Huebner, Oct 27, 2008
  5. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Oct 27, 2008
  6. Gib Bogle

    Rhino Guest

    Rhino, Oct 27, 2008
  7. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ge3pl2$r45$>,
    says...
    > I've been using AVG free versions for some years, but recently I
    > upgraded to 8.0, and it doesn't work on my machine, which is running
    > W2k. There are two obvious symptoms. First, when I start an update, it
    > appears to function normally, but when it completes I still see the
    > message "New update available". Next, and more serious, when I try to
    > scan nothing happens. There is no error message, just no response to
    > clicking "Start scan".
    >
    > Another odd behaviour occurs when I attempt to set a schedule for
    > scanning. After I define the schedule and click Apply or OK, a pop-up
    > tells me that the current user may not have sufficient permission, and
    > asks me to give a username and password. This happens even if I am
    > logged on as administrator. In any event, it doesn't matter, because
    > whatever the rights of the user, no schedule is created. When I go out
    > and return to this screen it is always back to the default.
    >
    > Two questions:
    > Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?
    > If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that works?

    As Peter says, install Avast. AVG V8 provides little protection anyway.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 27, 2008
  8. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Oct 27, 2008
  9. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I've been using AVG free versions for some years, but recently I
    > upgraded to 8.0, and it doesn't work on my machine, which is running
    > W2k. There are two obvious symptoms. First, when I start an
    > update, it appears to function normally, but when it completes I
    > still see the message "New update available". Next, and more
    > serious, when I try to scan nothing happens. There is no error
    > message, just no response to clicking "Start scan".
    >
    > Another odd behaviour occurs when I attempt to set a schedule for
    > scanning. After I define the schedule and click Apply or OK, a
    > pop-up tells me that the current user may not have sufficient
    > permission, and asks me to give a username and password. This
    > happens even if I am logged on as administrator. In any event, it
    > doesn't matter, because whatever the rights of the user, no schedule
    > is created. When I go out and return to this screen it is always
    > back to the default.
    >
    > Two questions: Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?
    > If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that
    > works?

    I didn't think that the free version allowed you to set schedules or
    disallow the startup scan.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Oct 27, 2008
  10. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I've been using AVG free versions for some years, but recently I
    >> upgraded to 8.0, and it doesn't work on my machine, which is running
    >> W2k. There are two obvious symptoms. First, when I start an
    >> update, it appears to function normally, but when it completes I
    >> still see the message "New update available". Next, and more
    >> serious, when I try to scan nothing happens. There is no error
    >> message, just no response to clicking "Start scan".
    >>
    >> Another odd behaviour occurs when I attempt to set a schedule for
    >> scanning. After I define the schedule and click Apply or OK, a
    >> pop-up tells me that the current user may not have sufficient
    >> permission, and asks me to give a username and password. This
    >> happens even if I am logged on as administrator. In any event, it
    >> doesn't matter, because whatever the rights of the user, no schedule
    >> is created. When I go out and return to this screen it is always
    >> back to the default.
    >>
    >> Two questions: Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?
    >> If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that
    >> works?
    >>

    > I didn't think that the free version allowed you to set schedules or
    > disallow the startup scan.

    All it allows you to do is pick what time you'll let it do it's daily update
    and it *will* allow you to disable the statup scan (thank god).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 27, 2008
  11. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I've been using AVG free versions for some years, but recently I
    >>> upgraded to 8.0, and it doesn't work on my machine, which is running
    >>> W2k. There are two obvious symptoms. First, when I start an
    >>> update, it appears to function normally, but when it completes I
    >>> still see the message "New update available". Next, and more
    >>> serious, when I try to scan nothing happens. There is no error
    >>> message, just no response to clicking "Start scan".
    >>>
    >>> Another odd behaviour occurs when I attempt to set a schedule for
    >>> scanning. After I define the schedule and click Apply or OK, a
    >>> pop-up tells me that the current user may not have sufficient
    >>> permission, and asks me to give a username and password. This
    >>> happens even if I am logged on as administrator. In any event, it
    >>> doesn't matter, because whatever the rights of the user, no schedule
    >>> is created. When I go out and return to this screen it is always
    >>> back to the default.
    >>>
    >>> Two questions: Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?
    >>> If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that
    >>> works?
    >>>

    >> I didn't think that the free version allowed you to set schedules or
    >> disallow the startup scan.

    > All it allows you to do is pick what time you'll let it do it's daily update
    > and it *will* allow you to disable the statup scan (thank god).

    Heh! I couldn't find a way and believe me, I **looked**! Ah well, I've
    moved on now. To Avast, which seems a lot less intrusive.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Oct 28, 2008
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <ge3pl2$r45$>,
    > says...
    >> I've been using AVG free versions for some years, but recently I
    >> upgraded to 8.0, and it doesn't work on my machine, which is running
    >> W2k. There are two obvious symptoms. First, when I start an update, it
    >> appears to function normally, but when it completes I still see the
    >> message "New update available". Next, and more serious, when I try to
    >> scan nothing happens. There is no error message, just no response to
    >> clicking "Start scan".
    >>
    >> Another odd behaviour occurs when I attempt to set a schedule for
    >> scanning. After I define the schedule and click Apply or OK, a pop-up
    >> tells me that the current user may not have sufficient permission, and
    >> asks me to give a username and password. This happens even if I am
    >> logged on as administrator. In any event, it doesn't matter, because
    >> whatever the rights of the user, no schedule is created. When I go out
    >> and return to this screen it is always back to the default.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >> Has anybody got AVG 8.0 free edition working with W2k?
    >> If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that works?

    > As Peter says, install Avast. AVG V8 provides little protection anyway.

    I've installed Avast. It gave me some bad moments. After installing,
    it rebooted and ran a scan in console mode. After that I was unable to
    boot up. I was stuck in an endless loop where it kept wanting to run a
    check on the hard disk, which I'd already done, and after I skipped it
    it would go back there again. Eventually I escaped into a safe mode,
    and was able to boot but with a limited video mode, only 256 colours and
    800x600, together with a suspicious-looking pop-up message "Warning.
    This program can only be runed at or above 256 color mode. Program
    terminated." Uh-oh, I thought. (Actually it was like Jesus f*ck) Bad
    English like that always makes me think of foreign cybercrooks,
    xenophobe that I am. I tried rebooting in safe mode with command prompt
    (I think - it's all a bit of a blur now, thankfully) and the bootup
    stopped at the point of trying to start the service agp440.sys. Freeze,
    requiring power down to get out.

    By this stage I was convinced something really nasty had taken over my
    machine. But a quick google on another box (one needs at least two
    computers) showed that the agp440.sys problem results from a video card
    failure of some kind. Booting in 256-colour mode and doing a hardware
    check revealed that the video was not working - no driver for the nVidia
    card installed. How strange. We moved house recently, and most stuff
    is still in boxes in the garage. A few months after such a move you
    forget where everything was packed. It only took me about 15 minutes to
    locate the box with the CDs that came with the m/b, and after that it
    was plain sailing. Reinstall driver, reboot normally, all OK.

    I have no idea what that was all about. Oh, Avast didn't find any bad
    actors.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 28, 2008
  13. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:

    >>> I didn't think that the free version allowed you to set schedules or
    >>> disallow the startup scan.

    >> All it allows you to do is pick what time you'll let it do it's
    >> daily update and it *will* allow you to disable the statup scan
    >> (thank god).

    > Heh! I couldn't find a way and believe me, I **looked**!

    I just had a quick look (for the turn off scan at start-up) and couldn't
    find it either. I know it gives you the option on install and that's when I
    always turn it off.

    The update time is easy to change.

    > Ah well, I've
    > moved on now. To Avast, which seems a lot less intrusive.

    So, another convert to Avast! I might give it a try myself, it's no problem
    to make an Acronis image, try it and restore my image of i don't like it and
    get into trouble. Time I made my monthly image anyway. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2008
  14. Gib Bogle

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gib Bogle <> wrote in news:ge3pl2$r45$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > If it doesn't work, is there another free antivirus program that works?

    Avast. or Antivir.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 28, 2008
  15. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
> [...]

    > stopped at the point of trying to start the service agp440.sys. Freeze,
    > requiring power down to get out.
    >
    > By this stage I was convinced something really nasty had taken over my
    > machine. But a quick google on another box (one needs at least two
    > computers) showed that the agp440.sys problem results from a video card
    > failure of some kind. Booting in 256-colour mode and doing a hardware
    > check revealed that the video was not working - no driver for the nVidia
    > card installed. How strange. We moved house recently, and most stuff
    > is still in boxes in the garage. A few months after such a move you
    > forget where everything was packed. It only took me about 15 minutes to
    > locate the box with the CDs that came with the m/b, and after that it
    > was plain sailing. Reinstall driver, reboot normally, all OK.
    >
    > I have no idea what that was all about. Oh, Avast didn't find any bad

    Shit. This morning on bootup the same disk checking problem. I can
    only boot Enable VGA mode. The screen is in very low res mode, and
    although I can set any combination of colour depth and pixel res in
    Properties > Settings, nothing changes. I still can't decide whether
    this machine has been infected or if there is a real problem on the
    disk. The issue seems to be related to the nVidia video driver.

    Any suggestions? Help!

    Gib Bogle, Oct 28, 2008
  16. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gib Bogle" typed:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <ge3pl2$r45$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> As Peter says, install Avast. AVG V8 provides little protection
    >>> anyway.

    >> I've installed Avast. It gave me some bad moments. After
    >> installing, it rebooted and ran a scan in console mode. After that
    >> I was unable to boot up. I was stuck in an endless loop where it
    >> kept wanting to run a check on the hard disk, which I'd already
    >> done, and after I skipped it it would go back there again. Eventually I
    >> escaped into a safe mode, and was able to boot but with
    >> a limited video mode, only 256 colours and 800x600, together with a
    >> suspicious-looking pop-up message "Warning. This program can only be
    >> runed at or above 256 color mode. Program terminated." Uh-oh, I
    >> thought. (Actually it was like Jesus f*ck) Bad English like that
    >> always makes me think of foreign cybercrooks, xenophobe that I am. I
    >> tried rebooting in safe mode with command prompt (I think - it's
    >> all a bit of a blur now, thankfully) and the bootup stopped at the
    >> point of trying to start the service agp440.sys. Freeze, requiring
    >> power down to get out. By this stage I was convinced something really
    >> nasty had taken over
    >> my machine. But a quick google on another box (one needs at least
    >> two computers) showed that the agp440.sys problem results from a
    >> video card failure of some kind. Booting in 256-colour mode and
    >> doing a hardware check revealed that the video was not working - no
    >> driver for the nVidia card installed. How strange. We moved house
    >> recently, and most stuff is still in boxes in the garage. A few
    >> months after such a move you forget where everything was packed. It
    >> only took me about 15 minutes to locate the box with the CDs that
    >> came with the m/b, and after that it was plain sailing. Reinstall
    >> driver, reboot normally, all OK. I have no idea what that was all about.
    >> Oh, Avast didn't find any
    >> bad actors.

    > Shit. This morning on bootup the same disk checking problem. I can
    > only boot Enable VGA mode. The screen is in very low res mode, and
    > although I can set any combination of colour depth and pixel res in
    > Properties > Settings, nothing changes. I still can't decide whether
    > this machine has been infected or if there is a real problem on the
    > disk. The issue seems to be related to the nVidia video driver.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Help!

    Hi,

    I Googled using "Windows 2000 agp440.sys Avast" and got lots of promising
    hits. Too many in fact for me to be bothered going through right now. <g>

    You have another computer right?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=Wind...avclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enNZ176NZ177

    Have fun!
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2008
  17. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gib Bogle" typed:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> I've installed Avast. It gave me some bad moments. After
    >>> installing, it rebooted and ran a scan in console mode. After that
    >>> I was unable to boot up. I was stuck in an endless loop where it
    >>> kept wanting to run a check on the hard disk, which I'd already
    >>> done, and after I skipped it it would go back there again. Eventually I
    >>> escaped into a safe mode, and was able to boot but with
    >>> a limited video mode, only 256 colours and 800x600, together with a
    >>> suspicious-looking pop-up message "Warning. This program can only be
    >>> runed at or above 256 color mode. Program terminated." Uh-oh, I
    >>> thought. (Actually it was like Jesus f*ck) Bad English like that
    >>> always makes me think of foreign cybercrooks, xenophobe that I am. I
    >>> tried rebooting in safe mode with command prompt (I think - it's
    >>> all a bit of a blur now, thankfully) and the bootup stopped at the
    >>> point of trying to start the service agp440.sys. Freeze, requiring
    >>> power down to get out. By this stage I was convinced something really
    >>> nasty had taken over
    >>> my machine. But a quick google on another box (one needs at least
    >>> two computers) showed that the agp440.sys problem results from a
    >>> video card failure of some kind. Booting in 256-colour mode and
    >>> doing a hardware check revealed that the video was not working - no
    >>> driver for the nVidia card installed. How strange. We moved house
    >>> recently, and most stuff is still in boxes in the garage. A few
    >>> months after such a move you forget where everything was packed. It
    >>> only took me about 15 minutes to locate the box with the CDs that
    >>> came with the m/b, and after that it was plain sailing. Reinstall
    >>> driver, reboot normally, all OK. I have no idea what that was all about.
    >>> Oh, Avast didn't find any
    >>> bad actors.

    >> Shit. This morning on bootup the same disk checking problem. I can
    >> only boot Enable VGA mode. The screen is in very low res mode, and
    >> although I can set any combination of colour depth and pixel res in
    >> Properties > Settings, nothing changes. I still can't decide whether
    >> this machine has been infected or if there is a real problem on the
    >> disk. The issue seems to be related to the nVidia video driver.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? Help!

    > Hi,
    >
    > I Googled using "Windows 2000 agp440.sys Avast" and got lots of promising
    > hits. Too many in fact for me to be bothered going through right now. <g>
    >
    > You have another computer right?
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=Wind...avclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enNZ176NZ177
    >
    > Have fun!

    Thanks! I searched for agp440.sys, but not with avast. I'll delve into
    all this later. (Yes, I have two machines).

    Gib Bogle, Oct 28, 2008
  18. Gib Bogle

    Your Name Guest

    I downloaded AVG 8 for this old Windows 2000 computer, but it wouldn't
    install and I couldn't wasre the days via dial-up downloading the OS patch
    it wanted, so it's still using the free AVG 7.5 and seems to be working and
    downloading updates as normal (the nagging to upgrade went away after a few
    days).

    Your Name, Nov 1, 2008
  19. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Your Name wrote:
    > I downloaded AVG 8 for this old Windows 2000 computer, but it wouldn't
    > install and I couldn't wasre the days via dial-up downloading the OS patch
    > it wanted, so it's still using the free AVG 7.5 and seems to be working and
    > downloading updates as normal (the nagging to upgrade went away after a few
    > days).

    AVG 8.0 doesn't seem to like some W2K systems. After it failed on mine,
    I reinstalled 7.5, but this would no longer work - it told me that it
    couldn't find the website for the virus database updates. AVG 7.5 is
    still running on my other W2K box, though.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 2, 2008